Home

Jim Ward quits

Haggis

It's a shame we didn't run this story as a rumour when we first came across it -- but then I suppose that Jim Ward should be able to control when the news gets out.

And I didn't agree with Ward's business "stagedy," but I'm sure that he's a good enough guy really, who did what he thought was right.

I wonder if his sucessor will be very different, though? We'll just have to wait and see.

I hope his successor doesn't take over both of Ward's previous positions. Why can't we have a person whose job is solely to be the President of LucasArts? Senior Vice President of LucasFilm doesn't seem like an insignificant side job. Even for the most competent person I don't like the idea of the LucasArts prez only being able to devote himself halfway. We need someone who can put their entire focus on the company.

The acting president is Howard Roffman, who is also the "President of Lucas Licensing." He's only president in the interim, but man, how about one gigantic job per person?

• 1 month later...

Yeah I think Jim Ward came into power in the middle of all the layoffs, when the "get rid of everybody and start from scratch" mentality was already set in motion.

I'm sure Jim is a nice guy, and we know he's a good businessman, and he's more than partly responsible for the fact that the company is in good financial shape, but it's hard for me to like a LucasArts president who has no respect for the company's legacy, and who's willing to deteriorate brand name to keep things safe. Of course, Hoffman (yet another Lucasfilm exec) may not be any better, but just because someone's worse than Ward doesn't mean Ward was good.

but it's hard for me to like a LucasArts president who has no respect for the company's legacy, and who's willing to deteriorate brand name to keep things safe.

Compare this to the music industry - say Sony / SonyBMG. They'd never stop producing, for example, Michael Jackson Thriller CDs, the classics will always keep selling. Especially when on the 20th anniversary, and now the 25th anniversary they repackage the album with a couple of new bonus tracks and new artwork. And of course they re-release it on new media (UMD, Minidisc, digital download) too. They keep selling to collectors, plus people who have lost or worn out their old copies, and of course to a whole new audience.

It baffles me that LucasArts (and many other gaming publishers, to be fair) don't treat their back-catalogue with the same reverence as a continual source of income as music or movie companies do. This is especially odd when Activision have been releasing WinXP / Vista compatible versions of the LEC Classics for the past couple of years outside the USA, and an open source emulator shows that the Scumm games can run on handheld devices.

Wake up and smell the money!

I don't know. Sierra tried something similar once, I believe. They started to redo their early games in glorious high res graphics... but amazingly the fan reaction was BAD. So much so that they stopped doing any more.

I'd love to believe that they could do a Grim Fandango Deluxe and really make it worth my while... but I just know they **** something up :(

I'm not talking about remaking / enhancing the games though. Grim, Sam & Max, The Dig, Full Throttle etc have all been repackaged and rereleased by activision in the last few years outside the USA. XP / Vista compatible.

If anything was to be tweaked, and the source code still exists, it would be to remove the dead ends from the FM Towns version of Zak McKraken (and maybe Last Crusade though that may need a graphic overhaul to be saleable).

It's to do with publishers. I don't know the full story of the American releases - do LucasArts publish themselves? - but in Europe at least Activision have control over LucasArts IP. This basically means that the decision to re-release the games wasn't made by LucasArts, although they still obviously get their money from sales.

You can still buy them in retail stores here in the UK, and they're common on Amazon (.co.uk) and eBay of course.

Archived