Home

So, any single saber wielder users here???

HaveFallen

that was because they were the first films out. :p they probably just didn't think of it, or perhaps it was cheaper to do without.

either way, double is juust as star wars as single. I mean, what else is a double saber? Harry Potter?

Most people don't realize it, but the saberstaff is truly the worst saber to wield. If anyone has ever take REAL martial arts that used the bow staff, then you would realize that NONE of them would work with a saberstaff. You can't get the same leverage or use the same techniques if you can't touch the energy blades. You may not realize it, but the staff becomes very difficult to use if your hands can't be more than 18 inches apart. I would emphasize a single saber more than the staff... no matter how well it can be handled.

saberstaffs are very tricky to defend with, as mentioned above because the hilt itself is a very obvious target for attackers. and with duals sabers you would have serious problems to defend against heavy blows. so both dual-bladed variants are more offensive weapons than anything else, whereas the jedi's lightsaber should mainly protect him. its a weapon for self-defense.

Most people don't realize it, but the saberstaff is truly the worst saber to wield. If anyone has ever take REAL martial arts that used the bow staff, then you would realize that NONE of them would work with a saberstaff. You can't get the same leverage or use the same techniques if you can't touch the energy blades. You may not realize it, but the staff becomes very difficult to use if your hands can't be more than 18 inches apart. I would emphasize a single saber more than the staff... no matter how well it can be handled.

Yuthura, you do realize that all the fighting in Episode I is based on "REAL martial arts", right? And that Ray Park - Darth Maul - has a black belt in wushu, which he incorporated heavily into his fight scenes in TPM?

And although the hilt is an "obvious target" when wielding a staff saber, there are weaknesses to all the styles, each with their own obvious target. These targets may not be quite as visual, but they exist none the less. A single saber may have a tougher time balancing offense and defense, and while two sabers allows one to focus on defense and one to focus on offense, neither will be as effective as a focused single blade would be. A weakness in form may not be obvious to all, but it can be far more vulnerable when facing a skilled opponent. I am just trying to say, don't be so quick to say that staff saber is the worst to wield.

On topic, I use whatever I decide I want to use at the beginning of that play through. My last file was a single saber guardian/weaponmaster. My first time playing TSL I used the saber staff with a guardian/marauder. I generally use a single blade with consular types, and two sabers with sentinel types. But I have used a single hilt with all the classes. It's my favorite, just for style.

IIRC, the novel Darth Bane: Path of Destruction has a lightsaber combat trainer who explains that the staff saber's only true advantages are that:

1. Most people are not trained to duel with wielders of staff lightsabers, automatically making them more difficult to combat.

2. If a person trains well enough to use a staff saber effectively, then that person is going to be a total badass whether they use the staff saber or not.

...and that aside from those two, the staff saber in the end is fundamentally not all that different from a regular one.

Staffs in MA are somewhat more flexible than a saberstaff. with a wooden staff you can vary where you grab it, altering balance / attack-range and so on. And not to forget you can easily parry blows with the middle section of the staff.

And as i said before canonically most jedi consider dual sabers, and saberstaffs unnessecarily aggressive tools as a single lightsaber offers equal if not better defence and enough deadly potential, so there is no need to further enhance this.

Yuthura, you do realize that all the fighting in Episode I is based on "REAL martial arts", right? And that Ray Park - Darth Maul - has a black belt in wushu, which he incorporated heavily into his fight scenes in TPM?

I am very well aware of that. I was taught by an instructor that worked with Ray Parks at one time. I could assure anyone that there is a drastic change that comes when you can't allow any most of the staff to touch the user. If Ray Parks had to use a bow staff in the same he way he used a saberstaff... his performance would drastically diminish. If you asked Ray Parks, himself, he would tell you that the saberstaff was not nearly as effective in practice as in hollywood.

A bow staff vs. katanna would be another case.

Since I've completely disregarded the point of this thread, I'll just say one last thing...

A lightsaber is a weapon! No matter how it is used, it's always destructive. Although jedi use it to protect the innocent, it still boils down to the fact that they carry a lethal weapon. There is no 'defensive only' use for a weapon such as a lightsaber. Doesn't it seem the least bit ironic that the symbol of the jedi is a deadly weapon? Has anyone ever thought just how hypocritical that is?

If anyone speaks of two sabers or saberstaff as being for offensive purposes, then you should not forget the single saber as well... they are all lethal! If anyone complains about two sabers as being offensive, then that would mean you are for NO weapons at all... or non-lethal weapons. I'd be more for those than one lightsaber.

IIRC, the novel Darth Bane: Path of Destruction has a lightsaber combat trainer who explains that the staff saber's only true advantages are that:

1. Most people are not trained to duel with wielders of staff lightsabers, automatically making them more difficult to combat.

2. If a person trains well enough to use a staff saber effectively, then that person is going to be a total badass whether they use the staff saber or not.

...and that aside from those two, the staff saber in the end is fundamentally not all that different from a regular one.

you're right, there isn't much difference. I always chose single in K1, but double in K2. Not sure why. Maybe it was because I was always 'most like a sentinel' and didn't want to look like Bastila :xp:

Why do people think two lightsabers look 'weak' 'crappy' 'ordinary'?

I think that it's a challenge to wield two weapons independently of each other. Although two sabers may look ordinary in KOTOR, if anyone tried to use two escrimas, you'd soon come to appreciate the skill behind using the dominant and lesser hand at the same time.

If you don't believe me, try using one weapon in the lesser hand. It's difficult enough as it is, but one who could use both hands deserves the advantage over an opponent with a single hilt.

You're NOT a single bladed user. These videos only give me the impression you're a NO BLADED user. I don't simply favor dual sabers because of what I see in star wars, but what I have seen and used in the real world. Show me a video that isn't a movie or video game... then that's something.

You're NOT a single bladed user. These videos only give me the impression you're a NO BLADED user. I don't simply favor dual sabers because of what I see in star wars, but what I have seen and used in the real world. Show me a video that isn't a movie or video game... then that's something.
Dude, whatever!

that was because they were the first films out. :p they probably just didn't think of it, or perhaps it was cheaper to do without.

either way, double is juust as star wars as single. I mean, what else is a double saber? Harry Potter?

No, it's because George Lucas said himself that all the major fights would only involve single bladed lightsabers. Mostly because: Single bladed rocks!

No, it's because George Lucas said himself that all the major fights would only involve single bladed lightsabers.

Er...when did he say that? There's a double-bladed lightsaber in EpI, Anakin uses two lightsabers in EpII (and Dooku was originally meant to), and Grevious uses...er...four lightsabers ( a little much... :rolleyes: ).

• 3 weeks later...

On Xbox, it used to be dual blue sabers, but later I didn't like that feel, so it's Single for me LS=:saberb: DS=:saberr:

But on PC, I have a mod to get a crapload of feats and force powers at a time so I have Master Dueling and Master 2-weapon Fighting currently, so I use my same Xbox lightsaber setup, but sometimes when I kill a dark jedi, I pretend that I pick it up and fight with dual sabers for a while(yes, I'm that crazy when it comes to this) Fun Time=:saberr::saberb:

Archived