Home

Advice needed talking to parents about keeping Halo 2

Arcesious

You could try to convince him that it is only dangerous (as in people causing death and destruction) when people have problem seperating betwen real life and "game life". If his main concern is you getting nightmares etc, just play the game while he watches so he sees you are not afected.

Corinthian: Yes, but for all you know, he could be mature enough for this.

Okay, I was obviously overreacting, a I oftentimes do over things that aren't that big of a deal... He played it with me for awhile in co-op mode, and he says it wasn't nearly as bad as he was expecting, actually admitting that it was fun, so he's letting me keep it. :sweat:

Arcesious, you should appreciate your dad very much for doing that. Not all parents would take the time to sit down with their kids to try something out first hand to make a decision.

He might be very conservative, but it sounds like he's trying to do his best to protect you from harm--keep that in mind when he tells you 'no' on something.

I'll try to refrain from making threads like this for now on... I think it is important that I remeber that my parents only want what's best for me... Although I tend to forget that a lot when it seems liek they don't understand me, but do. All thanks to those stupid rebellious teen instincts of mine... :xp:

I'll try to refrain from making threads like this for now on... I think it is important that I remeber that my parents only want what's best for me...

While they may want what's best for you, that doesn't necessarily mean they know what is. Don't be deterred from thinking for yourself and challenging their decisions on these issues. Parents can have unsubstantiated biases and lapses in judgment like any other person can.

Yes, but we have a hell of a lot more experience in life to work around screw-ups and fix our lapses.... Amazingly, Dev, some of us parents actually were your age, and even Arcesious' age, at one point. And even more amazingly, teens today are not very different from teens 15 years ago.

Yes, they oftentimes don't, but when a long conversation over such things starts, they start remembering, and trying to use their life experiences in relation to their children. But it doesn't always work that way. Where my parents find a lot of things to be horrible and 'ungodly', I see some things as stupid too, but, in relation to M-rated FPS games and PG-13 - R-rated movies, they hate those kinds of movies, while I enjoy them(Mostly comedy and adventure movies), and those things do not mentally or phycologically effect me at all(As far as I can tell...). They attempt to demean and put down things they don't truly understand, their only motivator of restricting it from me being that 'it isn't their style of game/movie'.

Many parents seem to be well oriented in these areas, luckily, so I am able to use them as examples at times in conversations with them about whether or not I can have this or that game, or see this or that movie. The intentions of many parents are good, but 'good intentions' are relatively based on life experiences and opinions. As we've debated before, morality is subjective to the person who defines it. Morality can't be good or bad, because, a person could consider something 'morally good', but it could actually be 'morally bad'. But, it coudl also be the other way around. Untimately, the scale of morality has no true absolutes about it.

The core instincts I see in my parents seem to be entirely based on what they've been taught as children, and when they get into deeper issues in life, when they're losing an argument/debate, they automatically bounce back to their core beleifs, and ignore all other possible conclusions.

IE, in conclusion of all of this, they are 'good people' and do have 'good intentions', which very well could be truly 'good' for all I know, but oftentimes, it leads to minor lapses in judgement. But, what should I expect? Many people base all their decisions off of only what they know, and off of what they've done throughout their entire lives. It may, unintentionally, be a tad bit 'ignorant', but, all in all, they still do things in an attempt at being wise. And I do consider my parents very wise in the realm of what they know, as they try to be very reasonable in accordance to their beliefs, and admittedly, my 'rebellious' instincts at this age do get the best of me at times, and, many times, their wisdom has been more solid than mine. But I won't be putty in their hands anymore, at the most.

I would like to beleive that I can make all my own decisions now, and beleive myself as being mature, but to arrogantly claim that would be proof of immaturity. I'll trust their judgement in many things, but I do realize that it is important to also think for myself.

Reading back through this... I tend to 'rant' openly too much, methinks. :xp:

Archived