Home

Mission Vao as...the Exile

Ferc Kast

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I(we) don't need any help. If I(we) did, we most certainly would post a jpg version of our texture, but, we are just fine.

Do you have any idea of what Holowan is for; if you post a WIP thread expect people to post opinions and suggest improvements - else if that's not what your wanting, why bother posting a WIP thread? :confused:

Also, Ferc:

Mission_ingame.jpg

So let's say Mission aged 5 years. Her lips need to be more pink and less red (think more natural, less street walker), her eyebrows are much thinner, and she has some pink tones in her skin (which on the whole is a much lighter blue than yours except in the shadows). Remember, blue twi'lek != Mission Vao. If you want a real likeness you're going to have to go further. :)

Holy off-topicness, Batman.

Do you have any idea of what Holowan is for; if you post a WIP thread expect people to post opinions and suggest improvements - else if that's not what your wanting, why bother posting a WIP thread? :confused:

To let people know what I'm up to. I mean, what other possible reason could there be other than to show off your work?

Anyways... Back on topic.

New Sith Eyes

Also, Ferc:

Mission_ingame.jpg

So let's say Mission aged 5 years. Her lips need to be more pink and less red (think more natural, less street walker), her eyebrows are much thinner, and she has some pink tones in her skin (which on the whole is a much lighter blue than yours except in the shadows). Remember, blue twi'lek != Mission Vao. If you want a real likeness you're going to have to go further. :)

Umm... I took the lips color directly from the K1 Mission, using the color grabber tool. I took the eyebrow length from the original female twi'lek texture. Again, I took her skin tone from the K1 Mission, using the color grabber tool.

So, it's entirely realistic. If you don't think so, you don't have to use this mod. But, I'm not going to let my thread just turning to spam about how "blue twi'lek != Mission Vao". I appreciate advice where it is relevant.

Your problem is you think color grabber = accurate. Sure it's accurate -- for that pixel. You need to expand your thinking a little and realize that textures are not one flat color. They have shadows and hilights (and often times the shadows and hilights have hints of other colors in them -- shadows are often more blue while hilights are often pinker, even if just subtly).

And for the records, "blue twi'lek != Mission Vao" is not spam -- it is an accurate representation of the truth. I advise you to listen to the advice of modders who have several times more experience than yourself, otherwise I think you'll find in the future that we'll be unwilling to help you when (you think) you actually need it.

The criticism, as far as I can tell in this thread, has been both constructive and useful. TriggerGod, if you don't want constructive criticism or help, don't post in Holowan. This is Ferc's thread anyway--it's up to him to decide if someone provides help or not. Off-topic posts have been deleted.

I know next to nothing about modding, but even I can tell that this looks nothing like Mission.

Observe:

guess_who.png vs. 431px-Missionfulltaris.jpg

The skin is too dark (probably picked a dark pixel there), her lips are too red (again, dark pixel), her nose is too wide and the wrong shape, her eyebrows are too thick, there is no outline around the eyes and the facial structure, especially around the lines of the mouth and chin are all wrong.

It seriously just looks like you took a blue Twi'lek skin and decided to call her Mission without even trying to make her look like the character, so I'm not sure why you're turning down good advice. Seems counter-intuitive to me to start a WIP and not know how to take helpful criticism. :confused:

I know next to nothing about modding, but even I can tell that this looks nothing like Mission.

Observe:

guess_who.png vs. 431px-Missionfulltaris.jpg

The skin is too dark (probably picked a dark pixel there), her lips are too red (again, dark pixel), her nose is too wide and the wrong shape, her eyebrows are too thick, there is no outline around the eyes and the facial structure, especially around the lines of the mouth and chin are all wrong.

It seriously just looks like you took a blue Twi'lek skin and decided to call her Mission without even trying to make her look like the character, so I'm not sure why you're turning down good advice. Seems counter-intuitive to me to start a WIP and not know how to take helpful criticism. :confused:

I had Mission's K1 texture open as my only guide when doing this; And, I even started with a green female Twi'lek skin. As for the facial structure, it is because of the female Twi'lek head model. (Something beyond the control of any modder). The skin is not too dark; I made sure of that, as too I did with the lips. The eyebrows are as thick as they are for any of the other female Twi'lek heads; Again, beyond the control of any modder.

Again, I started with a green female Twi'lek as my base texture. I did the best that anyone could possibly do to make her look like Mission. I don't turn down good advice; I turn down advice that is not relevant or is redundant. (Again, because I did the best that any "honest" modder could do.) Again, "helpfulness" is relative to the advice. (Which, again, I filter the good advice while I ignore the redundant & irrelevant advice.)

Anyways, my next step is the portrait-making. :^: After that, I still have a couple skins to do in order to make her be like a normal female Exile...

I had Mission's K1 texture open as my only guide when doing this;
Problem number 1.

And, I even started with a green female Twi'lek skin.
So?

As for the facial structure, it is because of the female Twi'lek head model. (Something beyond the control of any modder).
Not really, unless there's something wrong with how Taina's Replacer treats that head. In any case whether or not the facial structure is appropriate is fairly irrelevant (which is why I didn't mention it).

The skin is not too dark;
Yes it is.

I made sure of that, as too I did with the lips.
The lips are too dark, the wrong color, and don't blend in with the rest of the skin like Mission's lips do.

The eyebrows are as thick as they are for any of the other female Twi'lek heads;
Which is all fine and dandy for them, but as you yourself mentioned you are not making "any of the other female Twi'lek heads," you are making Mission Vao. Judging from her KotOR head she plucks her eyebrows. She wouldn't stop doing that just because... well you haven't given an explanation for that.

Again, beyond the control of any modder.
Uh, no. The eyebrows are painted on, not modeled on. Paint her some new ones. :)

Again, I started with a green female Twi'lek as my base texture.
Green, purple, polka dot, it's still not an excuse for the head not looking as it's supposed to.

I did the best that anyone could possibly do to make her look like Mission.
Don't speak for everyone here. I'm sure there are a fair amount of modders who would claim they could make a better likeness out of the same things you started with.

I don't turn down good advice;
Yes you did.

I turn down advice that is not relevant or is redundant.
It was neither redundant nor irrelevant.

(Again, because I did the best that any "honest" modder could do.)
"Honest"? It's not like we asked you to rob a bank. We just gave you suggestions on how to make the head look better.

Again, "helpfulness" is relative to the advice. (Which, again, I filter the good advice while I ignore the redundant & irrelevant advice.)
You ignore all advice given to you that suggests your mods aren't amazing, it seems.

Honestly, you could do with a reality check. Please leave your ego at the door.

If you want to be a good modder, take advice. Don't fling it back at the people who've given it to you. The rest of us are tired of seeing self-centered modders who think they know everything (which is why we're trying to help you).

But I'm sure I don't speak for just myself when I say we'll be happy to leave you alone if you'd like.

Right, I'm arriving to correct a few fallacies that have been banded about...

Ferc, I think your are a talented modder, however, frankly this took me 20 mins - now which looks more like Mission? Your big problem is trying to cut corners, and not taking time over things IMHO - and you shoot yourself in the foot as I know you can do quality work - but I have to ask if this took me 20 mins to make more like Mission than the above why are you getting offended by people telling you that the above blue Twilek doesn't look like mission?

As for not being able to change eyebrows... Please...

picture.php?albumid=13&pictureid=1718

To let people know what I'm up to. I mean, what other possible reason could there be other than to show off your work?

...To get feedback as too how you can vastly improve upon your work. Duuuuuh?

And non editable eyebrows? What? Why do you have such a maverick opposition to any and all forms of constructive criticism?

I had Mission's K1 texture open as my only guide when doing this; And, I even started with a green female Twi'lek skin. As for the facial structure, it is because of the female Twi'lek head model.

Heya Ferc,

Have you tried using one of the Twin Sister models as your base? The one with the solid cap worked really well for me when I was working on a custom mod for myself. She also has a flesh toned skin which reacts to lighting and highlights much easier.. Mission has a really 'bright' face so the pale base really helped out. Color match (no grabber) and you should (or could, no pressure :) ) get a very close facsimile of Mission.

For some reason the Twin Sister head just reacted much better with my experiments (could be a placebo effect though since they have skimpier clothing :xp: )

If you give your new Mission a little blush across her cheeks nose and chin.. and 'shape' her lips with a dark outline.. and splash a few very light freckles and I guarantee you'll be happier. Though it'll require more .2da messing should you want her to wear robes rather than the leather outfit ;)

I have a few screenies if you want to see them, just ask. I don't want to divert your project any further though. Good luck no matter which route you take :)

Ferc, I think your are a talented modder, however, frankly this took me 20 mins - now which looks more like Mission? Your big problem is trying to cut corners, and not taking time over things IMHO - and you shoot yourself in the foot as I know you can do quality work - but I have to ask if this took me 20 mins to make more like Mission than the above why are you getting offended by people telling you that the above blue Twilek doesn't look like mission?

picture.php?albumid=13&pictureid=1718

Cut corners? If I was doing that, I'd have taken one of the 2 K2 blue twi'lek skins and called it Mission. This is...:cry8:...honestly...my best 2nd most quality work & people go so far as to call it a "paint job"? I earned this WIP by "the sweat of [my] brow". And, people to even go to name-calling? 'Cuz that's real mature. :rolleyes: As to being self-centered, I am so self-centered that I only care for/about others.

I might as well start over on this or give up modding entirely. Those are the only options I can see from my perspective. (And, don't think to call me a drama king; Because I am just expressing my true feelings/thoughts.)

EDIT: @ChainZ - Sure; Love to see it.

Very nicely done Jonathan. The only differences I see are that the lips are just slightly a little more red (Since the lips here are completely blue) and the texture around her mouth is a little bit lighter. Otherwise a very good mission skin

I might as well start over on this or give up modding entirely. Those are the only options I can see from my perspective

Definitely don't give up on it. Trust me... use the Twin sister model ;)

Mission is a toughie though.. her bright face is the key, however as you can see below, body matching might take some time. ;)

EDIT: @ChainZ - Sure; Love to see it.

~snipped pics ~

From here on, since Ferc has the hang of it.. I'd rather we give feedback based on his vision rather than comparing it to mine ;) - Cz

Cut corners? If I was doing that, I'd have taken one of the 2 K2 blue twi'lek skins and called it Mission.

I don't understand why you wouldn't start out with one of the blue twileks, why make life hard for yourself?

This is...:cry8:...honestly...my best 2nd most quality work & people go so far as to call it a "paint job"? I earned this WIP by "the sweat of [my] brow". And, people to even go to name-calling? 'Cuz that's real mature.

Don't you think your being a tad, overly dramatic? Especially considering I could list a few of your mods, that require far more technical skill than what is on show here. Also where is this name calling?

I might as well start over on this or give up modding entirely. Those are the only options I can see from my perspective. (And, don't think to call me a drama king; Because I am just expressing my true feelings/thoughts.)

Already did - you do realise your having a teenage moment? People have offered; key here - constructive criticism... My advice would boil down to good things come to those who wait - after all if you can't wait for your fish to cook you end up with a tummy bug.

Mission is a toughie though.. her bright face is the key, however as you can see below, body matching might take some time. ;)

~snipped pics ~

From here on, since Ferc has the hang of it.. I'd rather we give feedback based on his vision rather than comparing it to mine ;) - Cz

Chainz that is a thing of beauty my friend :)

If I all get is hostile criticism, unlike your constructive criticism, then I might eventually give up.

Looks...well, if mine was horrible (according to some users)...good. Did you use A or B for your head's base?

@ChaiNz: Lets try not to get into a mod off here.

;) Definitely not my intention.. hehehe...

I would very much like to see Ferc continue with the project, as it's a popular request (Mission for TSL), and I know he has the skillz. ;)

Did you use A or B for your head's base?

Not sure to be honest (many moons ago). I just remember it's the "thinner" Twin Sister. She has a solid black cap rather than head 'skin' showing through.

;) Definitely not my intention.. hehehe...

I would very much like to see Ferc continue with the project, as it's a popular request (Mission for TSL), and I know he has the skillz. ;)

Not sure to be honest (many moons ago). I just remember it's the "thinner" Twin Sister. She has a solid black cap rather than head 'skin' showing through.

Don't worry, I will. I just looked & found which one you meant. It actually looks much easier to reskin than my original. Since I'll be busy most of tomorrow, I'll try to get a rough draft (do skins have drafts? or is just essays that have drafts? :xp:) posted here late tommorow or mid-Saturday.

I don't understand why you wouldn't start out with one of the blue twileks, why make life hard for yourself?

Don't you think your being a tad, overly dramatic? Especially considering I could list a few of your mods, that require far more technical skill than what is on show here. Also where is this name calling?

Already did - you do realise your having a teenage moment? People have offered; key here - constructive criticism... My advice would boil down to good things come to those who wait - after all if you can't wait for your fish to cook you end up with a tummy bug.

Chainz that is a thing of beauty my friend :)

Nothing against Chainz but those look like they are from Alveron182's MissionVao19 mod.

sent you a PM as to 'why' so we don't disrupt the WIP.. but I can 100% guarantee you these are my skins ;) - Cz

The best GIMP seems to be letting me do for the skin tone using Hue/Saturation:

skin_tone.png

If I made it any brighter with Hue/Saturation, the pixels would get distorted. :confused: @Chainz: Do remember how you got yours to be the correct skin tone? Is it b/c I'm using GIMP? If so, it seems that it'll never be good enough.

Archived