Home

World will end on Wednesday!!!

jonathan7

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bugger. It's Thursday over here..did the world start to end back there in the US yet? :(

Go read Angels and Demons if you're interested in what if might have caused. Ironically, the novel proofs the existence of god by using that particle accelerator...while the author is...ehm..disliked by the church.

Talked with a friend of mine about it (the type of guy who calls his cat Schrödinger, proofs you're in AND out of the train cabin at the same time, black holes, etc) and he thinks it's all a big fuss and some stuff (like the Shrödingen principe) simply shouldn't be sought after.

How do you think they found all the stuff they know about? Or, let me rephrase, what do you think does collide if they send ions against each other?

Well I guess it can only be done with protons at the moment, but I've always wondered about how it would work with the other two. Neutrons are apparently neutral... Which makes me wonder: Where did the neutrons come from? Do they do anything more than add atomic mass to an atom? And are they truly neutral? Is it even possible to collide something with as little mass as an electron?

I dunno as much physics as I used to think I did. Lol, only recently have I learned about atomic layers, bonding, etc, etc...

Oh my, Arcesious. Atoms are made of protons and neutrons in the core orbited by electrons. When you take some Electrons away or add some to that atom you get an ion. Neutrons and protons are made of quarks. Electrons are, well, electrons. However, in ancient times it wasn't uncommon to send streams of ions against each other to let them collide. I'll let you do the math what it is that collides when two ions, made of protons, neutrons and electrons hit each other.

Will

do? :D

While not specific to the LHC, you might want to check out some of Brian Greene's books..

I mean a book describing the theories theyve won through 15 years of experimenting with the LHC. A book like that would be worth to wait for 2023 (the earliest possible release date).

At the moment they want to center the proton in its flight, after achieving this they will do the same for a proton in the other direction. Finally after that, they will let them collide to create a "micro-big bang".

The big goal is to find the thing or things who are responsible for gravitation.

The black holes who could be created from the collisions are harmless, and happen every day on earth and its atmospheric shield.

So why should we die by doing the same?

Chaos theorists like Arthur Rössler (Roessler, if your PC doesnt know this german letter) have to think that everything can happen everywhere, but they couldnt delifer a proof that the black holes will become stable.

The best scientists were planning for decades, nothing will happen and thats the bottom line for me.

The Royal Society of Chemistry are a bunch of wankers.

Thinking they can get CERN to rename the LHC, honestly. I quite like the name it has right now, thanks very much. Though "Puff the Magic Hadron" does have a nice ring to it.

Funny, I don't ever remember being asked what it should be called... does that mean i'm not public now? :lol:

Halo just sounds bad.

LHC is just fine. That, or Doomsday Machine.

A setback and nothing more. Great scientific and technological advancement take hard work and persistence.

If it were easy, perhaps the U.S. would still be involved in this kind of experiment. ;)

We owe Europe for some of the greatest scientific methods, minds, and discoveries, but the United States is not without our own Willis E. Lamb. :D

Archived