Home

World will end on Wednesday!!!

jonathan7

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking on the lines of, someone would come back from the future to stop the thing ever going ahead. But, if everyone on earth was killed, there would be no one to come back. So if you think about it. If it is true that in our current history, we have never had visitors from the future. That means that if you take into account that we will evolve far into the future and invent time travel. Something wipes us out before we invent time travel. So as a species we definitely get wiped out at some point in the future. I'm talking far ahead in the future though. At least past Wednesday anyway.

But to answer your "wut?", something about generating a type of radiation that would essentially be a beacon to those with the right technology or something. I wasn't really paying attention.

Ah gotcha now.

Or here's another fun one*: people are always wondering what caused the big bang. Well now we know. It was us. Okay, not technically "us" but the Earth-like civilization that existed in the universe before ours that advance for a while then built a LHC and then turned it on (also on a Wednesday). It created the big bang that spawned us just as well all be wiped out in the one we make tomorrow which will lead to the next one. Silly and far fetched? Well prove me wrong! :xp:

...gee, it really is a lot easier to just make stuff up...

* not to be taken seriously in any way shape or form

Simple... A gravitational force great enough to create a dilation in time to the point where the universe colapsed in on itself and thus we created the universe we also destroy with our new tech haha...

Or at least we could pull ourselves out of the present and into the past where the universe had not been created and therefore we remove ourselves from the present universe and pop up to create the universe by mistake. The Big OOPS haha.

That is exactly what I'm afraid of. But who caused the first big bang? Why, the last planet dumb enough to do it of course, thus creating the first universe that did it and completing the cycle. :lol:

So, we get sucked in by a black hole? *shrugs* There are a lot worse ways to go. :xp:

As for this entire CERN business, I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes. If we all suddenly die, I'll take it that we were a bit over our heads. :p

This damn thing's on like every forum right now... this is the first I've seen where the topic creator actually knew it wasn't really going to happen. Good to see there's some intelligence in one of them.
Just think, a few hundred years ago some of us would be standing inside a castle with an angry mob outside wanting to burn us at a stake. I love progress.

Just think, a few hundred years ago some of us would be standing inside a castle with an angry mob outside wanting to burn us at a stake. I love progress.

Not me. I know better than to tell people with pitchforks and torches that their views are wrong haha

edit: at least in person...

As much as I bet this will all work out fine without killing all mankind...

What if there is a totally unexpected variable in all of this that could have a huge adverse effect we could have never predicted...? I dunno... I REALLY hope I'm still alive tommorow.

IE: "I like my life plz don't mess it up with doom machines k thx bai." (jk)

Still, I'm rather scared, even though I highly doubt anything bad will happen. And it's probably because of my phobia of vortexes...

As much as I bet this will all work out fine without killing all mankind...

What if there is a totally unexpected variable in all of this that could have a huge adverse effect we could have never predicted...? I dunno... I REALLY hope I'm still alive tommorow.

IE: "I like my life plz don't mess it up with doom machines k thx bai." (jk)

Still, I'm rather scared, even though I highly doubt anything bad will happen. And it's probably because of my phobia of vortexes...

Look at it this way, if atheism is true; if the Universe ends, there is nothing to be affraid of as you won't exist any-more - after all are you scared of the time before you were born?

If Christianity/theism is true - God won't let us rip up space time so we will all still be alive...

How did you gain this fear of Vortexes?

On a lighter note...

a) You clearly haven't visited Britain lately :xp:

b) Why do I have scenes of many Frankenstein films in my mind now?

Concerns over tommorows experiment in Switzerland weren't quelled after seeing a spokesperson for the project...

frankenstein-jj-001.jpg

Look at it this way, if atheism is true; if the Universe ends, there is nothing to be affraid of as you won't exist any-more - after all are you scared of the time before you were born?

If Christianity/theism is true - God won't let us rip up space time so we will all still be alive...

How did you gain this fear of Vortexes?

Well I guess being scared of death is unavoidable... I know you can't be scared when you don't exist. That's no duh. The thing is being scared of not existing. IE, I like living vewy vewy much. Not living... It's almost inconceivable. Ceasing to have a mind is scary. I think being delusional and irrational like I used to be was scary, but I'd rather have that- I'd rather have brain damage, then nothing. Even the slightest formation of a mind, that is nowhere near as scary as none at all... Sure, I could take comfort on a crutch that there's something afterwords, but I beleive that the truth must be pursued, no matter how painful it is.

A quote comes to mind:

"The truth will set you free... But first it will pee you off." (lol.)

So if theistic beleifs are / aren't true... Let me take a unique stance on that. A 'deist' stance in order to make a point. What would make you think that God, whoever he/she/it is, could possibly care what humans do to themselves? And if God isn't there to save our butts? I see no proof for any of God's actions being in our favor... But this is an 'if' situation, and that debate has been overdone before and doesn't need to be again.

Anyways... Fear of vortexes thing... I don't exactly remember what exactly happened, but one day I think I was like 12-13 and I watched a marathon of tonrado movies and then had nightmares about it, subsequentially leaving me with an irrational fear of vortexes to this day... (I don't remember the exact story, I may have some details wrong.)

On a final note about death: Meh, big deal. Death. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Literally.

I think being delusional and irrational like I used to be was scary,

How do you know you are not delusional and irrational now? After all did you think you were delusional/irrational a year ago?

So if theistic beleifs are / aren't true... Let me take a unique stance on that. A 'deist' stance in order to make a point. What would make you think that God, whoever he/she/it is, could possibly care what humans do to themselves? And if God isn't there to save our butts? I see no proof for any of God's actions being in our favor... But this is an 'if' situation, and that debate has been overdone before and doesn't need to be again.

If any God has gone to the trouble of creating the universe, it isn't about the human race, and more the fact, it would be rather annoying if we destroyed it - ergo, I don't think said God would allow it. "And if God isn't there to save our butts?" I already answered that in the 'if Atheism is true bit'....

I think we may have strayed a little off-topic now, so should probably move back to the science/comedy of today - we're still alive!

Haha isn't it funny how so many people were worried about the initial test... It wasn't even a full test... Just one way.

Pretty cool that the thing worked as designed. I was half expecting the thing to fail. You know, bunch or parts, designed by different people, some with differing measuring standards...

Maybe we can find an alternate universe with this LHC thingy?
Not sure about that, but the scientific community is very hopeful that the LHC will allow them to test some of the predictions made by string theory (which is technically a hypothesis). The implication being that if the some of the predictions come to fruition, then the other predictions become more likely to be accurate as well.

Long story short: find other universes, no. Find evidence that other universes aren't far-fetched, hopefully yes.

I hope that one of the scientists will write a book for nonscientists about the experiment. Like Anton Zeilinger and Stephen Hawking did some years ago about other topics.
Will
do? :D

While not specific to the LHC, you might want to check out some of Brian Greene's books.

By the way: Switzerland is still alive and happy about that fact.
meh.

All they did today was run some particles through in one direction. Soon they will test run particles in the other direction. Once they know that they can successfully run particles in both directions, then they'll start planning actual collisions. So if you really are worried, the time to worry wasn't today. It will be a few weeks/months from now.

Archived