Home

Should Kavar's Corner take a month long break?

tk102

Should Kavar's Corner be suspended for a month?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should Kavar's Corner be suspended for a month?

• Yes - it will give people a chance to cool off
    • No - we need to argue now more than ever

Seems to this observer that everyone participating in Kavar's Corner debates these days is getting pretty wound up and snippity at each other. I wonder if wouldn't be a bad idea to close the forum for about a month until the U.S. election is over and (hopefully) the economic situation is a bit more stable.

What do you think?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hold on a minute! I'm all for taking a break, but a month? That's a bit extreme, in my opinion. The political situation in Kavar's has recently been upset by an influx of new members with ideals that are, generally, the antithesis of the general Corner's.

So, if you were going to close it at all, I'd only do it for a week- two at most. If I couldn't post here for one month, I'd be very sad.

If this forum is designed for discussion on politics (as is stated in the rules, along with a variety of other topics), shutting it down because people are talking about politics seems a little... off.

Perhaps a little more moderation is required. I think that would solve a lot of the current issues.

If this forum is designed for discussion on politics (as is stated in the rules, along with a variety of other topics), shutting it down because people are talking about politics seems a little... off.

Perhaps a little more moderation is required. I think that would solve a lot of the current issues.

Perfect post.

Seems to this observer that everyone participating in Kavar's Corner debates these days is getting pretty wound up and snippity at each other. [/Quote] But it is brother and sister love kind of snippiness. :D

I wonder if wouldn't be a bad idea to close the forum for about a month until the U.S. election is over and (hopefully) the economic situation is a bit more stable.[/Quote] Thinking back to something a new moderator wrote recently.
There was a time, when quite a few people thought Kavars, was going to split the community, and still think that Kavars, produces bad blood in our little KotOR world, as such I think most of us are quite releveaved for the current 'lull' in debates.
To which I replied.
So the staff is relieved there is no discussion in a discussion forum? I guess that is one way to prevent disagreements. :D
To which he assured me.
That's not what I mean and you know it :xp:

Now wonder is his original statement was true. :confused:

What do you think?
I voted no, but I am not the one that has to deal with this unruly, yet loveable bunch. I really don’t even know what the options are. Like I don’t know if it is possible to stop new thread from being posted only in Kavar and limiting the political discussion to only a few threads. So I trust in the wisdom and leadership of Moderators and the Administrators. (now to wipe this brown stuff off my nose.)

Obey... her... Royal... Highness...

*begins 1984-style chant to Big Brother Hillary Clinton*

:lol: Wow. I needed a good laugh, Sithy. Much thanks. As for Obama taking away our rights (I assume that you refer to him), where is your proof? But maybe we shouldn't talk about this in a "Should we close this place down?" thread.

You could always get a second belt.

I may not post here often, but I do enjoy lurking around and seeing what other people think about whatever happens to be going on in the world. As Litofsky said, a month may be a little much. Or perhaps Inyri is right about increased moderation. Tightening up on some of the rules in here might go a long way to reducing the snippiness.

I need a tighter belt.

.... But how will I whip ass?

A new question to be debated, me thinks.

Good Sir Sithy needs not a belt to whip ass. He does this anyway with his secondary, belt. This one is metal, with diamond thorns and a gold handle.

Sir Sith like to travel in style.

At the Doctor's comments above, I'm not sure what could be done about the rules. I think that a few moderators patrolling should keep things clean, but maybe one week off would do everyone a bit of good.

If it is to be closed down, I would prefer it to be closed permanently. This is not a political debate site. Closing down political debate would probably be a good idea to prevent harsh feelings. The only other thing would be to delete political threads in other areas as well. Ensure that no politics are discussed on this site. There really isn't any valid reason to have political debate on a site like this.

Just my opinion.

I hardly ever have anything to do with Kavar's, much less the darn American Elections; but I'm against the closing of any forum of any sort. Besides, there are plenty of topics worth debate other than the US Presidential mumbo-jumbo, such as Sir Hamfast's good Presuppositionalism or whatever religion he's preaching.

To be honest, I couldn't think of such an idea coming from you, good teekay. I believed you to be truly just and fair and an upholder of liberty and freedom and pants. The locking of this thread over merely such an important would be... unfair.

And you also left out the Yoda option from your poll. Don't make me start to dislike you, teekay. :carms:

Fools, you clearly missed that this was TK's attempt to divert conversation to another topic. Such as my awesome HouseCat.

Get us all to agree with each other on something and unite against a common enemy.

I thought the only trick tk had, was to shut down the site under the ruse of maintenance.

I see no purpose to this. It won't change anything.

I agree, feelings about political happenings would inevitably spill out into other sections.

I'm an admin at another forum, and after some bad experiences with a single member, we essentially have a "no religion and politics" rule in our more serious discussion section. And I'll tell you right now, that the average rate of posting there is oh, about one or two topics a YEAR.

If such a rule is implemented here, there's no point in this forum at all. If people can't control themselves, that is not a sign of a flawed concept. That is a sign that people are only human, and there is possibly a lack of moderation, though in many cases I would say there is actually over-moderation. And until somebody asks my particular thoughts on that I'll keep my mouth shut.

Would taking a break do anything except make the discussion look like it doesn't exist? No, not at all. To those who say "it's a Star Wars site! Talk about that!" Lets face it, even Star Wars has a lot of political commentary in it. We could make one grand topic on what Star Wars is actually saying about society and what we can take from it as, not just a sci-fi show, but a socio-political commentary.

And lets be honest with ourselves, Star Wars fans we may all be, Star Wars does not drive our lives(well, maybe it does for some), and, as I said above, even Star Wars will bring out deeper conversation among us. Look at the sections the members here all post in, we've got modders, economists, fans, writers, artists, socio-political discussion is something that we all have common ground in.

I think what Kavars needs is for it's regulars to start bringing up non-election related subjects. There's a million of them out there. Presuppositionalism is a great one for a start. Any move by the staff to cut out political discussion would only seem forced and make members resentful that in a forum designed for speaking our minds, we're not allowed to speak our minds.

That is why I think the onus of "saving" Kavar's is on it's regulars, to start topics that will move away from the political feuding that is ravaging the forum at the moment. If we can talk about something else, I think we can solve a lot of the political discontent we're seeing.

And I just realize I wrote a lot more than I planned.

EDIT: and the topic poll is loaded, misleading, and frankly, condescending. We have some great discussion going on here, and taking a break does not always cause people to cool, often they'll come back hotter than ever. And the context in which "arguing" is being used I find somewhat offensive as it refers to the bad kind of arguing, and doesn't take into account the good kind of argumentation that we do often participate in here.

Archived