Home

Should Kavar's Corner take a month long break?

tk102

Should Kavar's Corner be suspended for a month?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should Kavar's Corner be suspended for a month?

• Yes - it will give people a chance to cool off
    • No - we need to argue now more than ever

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another thought... How about we ban people who cherry pick, ignore facts/sources, and are basically there to only spread their own propaganda even though it holds no weight...?
Propaganda to one person is fact to another, right? Do we know for a fact that everything a poster says is false? I may disagree with a poster's statement; however, I don't consider what they say to be junk. I can always do my own research.

Who likes or dislikes the color pink? Why?

Propaganda to one person is fact to another, right? [/Quote] No.
Fact – 1. Something known to be true – something that can be shown to be true, to exist, or to have happened. [/Quote] What is the point in debating facts? Most of what we debate and discuss in Kavar are not facts, they are opinions.

Who likes or dislikes the color pink? Why?

Pink is ugly = opinion

Pink is pretty = opinion

Who cares about Pink = opinion

Pink is a color = fact

I believe if we each looked at our own personal views as opinion and not facts, things would go a lot smoother here. There is no reason for us to take offence every time someone questions our opinion. We should understand that our opinion is the most important opinion only to ourselves. Just because someone questions your opinion, your candidate or your source does not mean they are attacking you personally.

This is my personal opinion and in no way should be regarded as fact. :xp:

Wrong. Logic is objective. That's why it's logic.

I fully acknowledge that some people are better at recognizing it than others, but that does not mean that the field itself is subjective.

I was more referring to political position etc, over certain other positions - apologies for the confusion. :)

Kavar's Corner is interesting because it allows people across the broad spectrum of Star Wars fans to share their thoughts on things other than Star Wars and video games. I was thrilled when I found it, and promptly got put in my place a few times for pomposity, pedantism, and general bullying without reason. Nothing ever made me happier than to have someone with an intelligent voice make me feel foolish for voicing half-baked ideas... it reminded me of grad Phil classes! Without the tuition!

I understand the difficulties of moderating a forum like Kavar's - it mostly has to do with the fact (fact has been sufficiently explained here recently, I think) that our forum base is very broad and diverse, in age, experience, and education - to start with, and obviously many other differences. Not everyone can create an iron-clad argument, with sound evidence and logical structure. Conversely, not everyone is prepared to take the heat from Achilles when they post something absurdly conceived.

I say tough. I love this part of the forum, because it is what it is. Although the poll is closed, that's my thought. I also appreciate that it is here, despite how difficult it is to moderate. A labor of love, that I guess wears a little thin from time to time - especially these days when opinions everywhere are running hot.

Archived