Home

Star Trek?

Darth Groovy

The last thing I want is for this thread to become another in a long series of heated debates between Star Trek and Star Wars. Please here me out.

I been watching the trailers for this new "retelling" of the Star Trek saga with an all new cast. And seeing how they are staying faithful to the originals right down to the costumes, I have to admit this has peaked my interest.

What the Star Trek universe needs is a good clean swift kick in the ass to jump start things, and if this new film is done right, it just maybe the answer. After several failed series, and horrible video games, it is long overdue.

Hundreds of years ago, I used to watch Star Trek on TV and I loved it to pieces. I watched all of the films with the original crew and loved them as well. I also equally if not more, loved The Next Generation. I lost interest in Star Trek sometime after First Contact and the creations of Deep Space Nine, Voyager and the failed Enterprise series which brought the lowest of low in the failing franchise. In my personal opinion, Star Trek died when Star Trek: The Next Generation ended. Now before you all blow off steam, know the facts. Remember that before The X-Files was created, Star Trek: The Next Generation was the most successful science fiction franchise on network television, even surpassing the original series by several seasons.

Anybody else think this new movie may just pull it off? I AM interested, and damn, I just might go see how it looks when it comes out.

Hopefully Dath is reading this thread, we have had many HUGE debates about Star Trek in the past...;)

Link for those lest informed:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0796366/videogallery

i like them all, it's damn hard to skip the channel when i see it on tv.

There is a LOT of great Sci-Fi on TV these days, and we even have a Sci-Fi Channel where most of this is displayed. Back in the day though, Star Trek: The Next Generation was on regular network.

Other interesting tid bits:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation

Star Trek is awesome.

My mom is a long-time trekkie so I and my family have watched tons of TAS, TNG, and Voyager since I can remember. It's really hard to decide which one's the best, but I guess they're all good in their own ways.

Also, Grooves, we never liked Deep Space Nine either, but if you never watched Voyager then you're missing out on a lot of awesome.

As for the movie, it looked good at first, but since I watched the trailer I started having second thoughts. The fact that they have a sex scene, and Uhura's showing off her boobies, and Spock is arguing with Kirk, shows me that they're taking it in the wrong direction. I know that sounds prudish, but there is an established chemistry between the characters, and throwing that out for some action is like Enterprise-ifying the original series, and I am not ok with that.

Star Trek is awesome.

so I and my family have watched tons of TAS,

did you just admit to having watched the animated series?

as a true trekker, ive seen every episode from every series, TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT

ive also had every episode recorded, not to mention the hundreds of star trek figures and other awesomely rare and valuable star trek stuff, i even got to meet shatner and nimoy aswell as john de'lancy (i suck at his last name) robert picardo, ethan phillips, and mark whatever his name who played gul dukat, aswell as the guy who played the gorn and a few other people from the original series, not to mention the guy who played the borg in the voyager episode when seven of nine and the doctors mobile holo projector resulted in a 29th century borg

I AM A TREK GOD!

also your grammar sucks

My goodness.

Anyways. I actually like Star Trek, but I never really knew enough about it to get into the series. Like, I watched all the movies with my dad and we really enjoyed them and there were times where I rented a season (I don't even remember which, though. I don't know the differences between any of the individual series, really) and watched episodes here and there and I liked them, but I never got seriously into it.

Where should I start if I wanted to change all that?

There is a LOT of great Sci-Fi on TV these days

No, it keeps getting cancelled in its prime.

Firefly?

Futurama?

Farscape?

Stargate: Atlantis?

Enterprise*?

Firefly?

Yes I know I mentioned Firefly twice, I feel that strongly that they shouldn't have cancelled it, at least the others I mentioned ran for more than half a season.

Anyway, back on topic, from trailer I would say this one looks good. I expect it will be the first Trek film to make money since First Contact, yes that is right Insurrection and Nemesis both made a loss at the box office.

*OK, so this one disappointed Trek fans, and I fully admit it wasn't very Trek, but it was a good show in its own right.

No, it keeps getting cancelled in its prime.

Firefly?

Futurama?

Farscape?

Stargate: Atlantis?

Enterprise*?

Firefly?

Yes I know I mentioned Firefly twice, I feel that strongly that they shouldn't have cancelled it, at least the others I mentioned ran for more than half a season.

Anyway, back on topic, from trailer I would say this one looks good. I expect it will be the first Trek film to make money since First Contact, yes that is right Insurrection and Nemesis both made a loss at the box office.

*OK, so this one disappointed Trek fans, and I fully admit it wasn't very Trek, but it was a good show in its own right.

I am with you 100% on Firefly. That show was saturated with coolness. I think most people didn't pick up on it. I actually credit you swampies for getting me into Firefly. When Serenity came out, I didn't get it, because I had never seen the series. Once I saw the series, Serenity took on a whole new meaning for me. I have the complete series on DVD.

I am with you 100% on Firefly. That show was saturated with coolness. I think most people didn't pick up on it. I actually credit you swampies for getting me into Firefly. When Serenity came out, I didn't get it, because I had never seen the series. Once I saw the series, Serenity took on a whole new meaning for me. I have the complete series on DVD.

Same here. Every word.

I will never forgive Fox for what they did with Firefly.

did you just admit to having watched the animated series?

I meant TOS :o

But I have watched a few of the animated series >.>

also your grammar sucks

Ow that hurts. ._.

Anyways. I actually like Star Trek, but I never really knew enough about it to get into the series. Like, I watched all the movies with my dad and we really enjoyed them and there were times where I rented a season (I don't even remember which, though. I don't know the differences between any of the individual series, really) and watched episodes here and there and I liked them, but I never got seriously into it.

Where should I start if I wanted to change all that?

Usually they're only barely connected to each other plot-wise, so you can pretty much pick one and start out with it. I haven't really watched more than an episode or two of Deep Space Nine or Enterprise, so I'm not the one to give information about those; all I know is I didn't really like them. I would recommend, if you have the time, watching the original series from start to finish, then The Next Generation, then Voyager.

:lol:

My dad is a "Treky". He also watches Battle Star Galactica . Never really watched Star Treck that much (seen a few episodes), saws a couple of Battle Star Galactica movies (never the T.V. show though).

I saw the preview for the Star Trek movie and it looked really cool, I am hoping it will be as good as the episodes that I have seen. :)

Same, though I did watch the series before Serenity.

I've never been a trekkie so I'm sorta semi-excited for this movie, I think I might even enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll take full credit for getting alot of swampies into Firefly. I remember posting a thread about it back in the day, urging everyone to watch the series before Serenity came out. *pats self on back* :D

About this new Trek, I have high hopes for it. Everything J.J. Abrams has done so far I've loved with a passion, so I'm sure this won't be any different. Besides, Simon Pegg is in it, nuff said.

Archived