Home

SWTOR to be Microtransaction based

News

ShackNews has reported that Star Wars: The Old Republic will feature an uncommon form of payment. Instead of being subscription-based like most MMOs are, paying a flat rate each month, EA has classified The Old Republic as a “microtransaction-based” title.EA CFO Eric Brown spoke on the matter today. “We are continuing to stick [...]

Read the full story at starwarsmmo.net...

I hate to be a pain, but...

"So perhaps EA an BioWare are trying to move away from the traditional MMO payment plans as well as gameplay."

...the proper sentence should be "So perhaps EA and Bioware..."

At any rate, we knew we'd have to pay, but it's never nice to hear that you'll have to fork over (even more) money to play.

I did a quick search on the term and now I'm even more confused than when I started - is this a 'pay-as-you-play' type thing, or equivalent to the Microsoft points idea, or is it one of those dreadful in-game mall things that require you hand over money for pixels? :confused:

There was an overwhelming backlash about this on the BioWare forums. They have effectively said, "We have not decided on the microtransaction model. Seems like they were testing the waters and found them a bit too chilly. They have gone back on it. I doubt this is what we'll see.

• 2 months later...

Archived