Home

F'in microsoft

MysticSpade

i recieved my box to send it off in a weeks time. I am using the warranty this time but if it happens again totally using a rubber eraser or the 8 cents. now i just have my wii, modded PSP, HALO xbox.

@Groovy

luckily my customers in my area totally understand that we can't swap it out for them. But i am in a high class area, people drop a grand just cuz they can.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No most people when they get the RRoD just call the local GameStop and bitch in our ear about how they had to talk to some Indian guy with a bad accent, and most of the time they are enraged that we don't do repair work.

Wow... getting something like that repaired by the game store you bought it from... hasn't even crossed my mind. Where do people get these ideas?

Woot, mine overheated. I guess my 360 got pissed at me for ramping cars on the Firefly Beach in GTA4 for 20 minutes straight. Nice and toasty. Two lights on the left, baby.

*Edit*

Took the ol' air can to it, plenty of dust. Feel like I should take my 2.5hp shop-vac to it and see how much more dust comes out... but the 70+mph "breeze" that comes out of it might do more harm than good.

well to day i got some terrible news as i went to play a ranked match with the #1 in points on one of my main games *cough*Street Fighter 4*cough*. So as i turn it on my 360 locks up on the logo screen bout 3 times. The fourth one BAM RRoD. I was like WTF!?!?

No here's the sad part, i can literrally repair a RRoD 360 in bout an hour with LITERRALLY 8 cents. But since my system is under warranty i figured i will send it back, and get a new one while i can. I have the newest model too where they supposedly fixed the problem but i guess not. Its just a poor design flaw on the mother board. why would you put Ram chips on the underside of the board with heat absorbing pads on them, while being put in a place with utterly no airflow. its just dumb

/end rant

I think the whole warranty thing has been set up to be a real $$$-grab scheme. Not to mention their customer no-service is a hot steamin' pile of ****. You aren't allowed to modify the physical design WHATSOEVER.

It's a cheap design. Needless to say fragile.

I have ...some model, not sure what generation though. I'm the second owner. The first one took it to Iraq and totally fried the hard drive, got sand in it and everything. My pal in his batallion bought it for a whopping $25. Fixed all the little problems since it was out of warranty on some technical violation of terms...bought it a premium 120GB hard drive. So it has already been through hell. It was a gift from my pal.

I have not played it much since beating GTA4--little desire. I have gotten either a full or 1/4 RROD once playing through it. It does not like to recognize even its own game discs and is rather moody. It gets so hot I could cook an egg on it.

Indeed. I've had 3 360's, and all 3 have red ringed on me. I have a couple of friends who've never had a red ring. Meh.

Hmm. 3? What kinda $$$ you makin'? U an R&D engineer for some tech firm? Damn.

My SNES still works. :p

As do both of mine--one I saved up for and bought as a little kid. The other was a yard sale acquisition. I also have 9 NES units, 3 of which are fully functional, the rest I plan to fix up since I have discovered http://www.nesrepairshop.com. ;)

Why haven't you joined my retro gaming social group, then?

My NES and SNES bit the dust long ago...

I still have my original working N64 from Christmas '96 though :)

_EW_

I totally refer you to above (I believe both NES and SNES are covered)--drop me a line. I might even be able to help troubleshoot. Though I'd bet, seeing as how their designs are neat and modular, it would not take very much to troubleshoot and fix. I think Sam Goldwasser's repair briefs has even a little bit that can help you here. (http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/audiofaq.htm#audoninto)

BTW, I was also one of those lucky first crowds to get an N64 as well. ;)

Still works fine, and I occasionally catch a PD combat simulation now and then. Pwnage with the wrist laser on constant in one hit kills mode.

I can't remember how many 360s I've gone through. It's at least 3 or so. If it breaks again, I'm gonna go Office Space on it, and buy one of them supposedly "fixed" versions.

My Wii was DOA (on xmas day), and had to be shipped off for repair.

Damn, I ought to start collecting 360 corpses and reverse engineer them with a few of my buddies. Though it isn't as if it takes a thermodynamics or aerospace engineer to see the utterly stupid design flaws as pointed out above in the opening post....and perhaps fix them. Except that supposedly is huge no-no, even for out of warranty. Something about leaking proprietary info. Sounds like a load to me.

Woot, mine overheated. I guess my 360 got pissed at me for ramping cars on the Firefly Beach in GTA4 for 20 minutes straight. Nice and toasty. Two lights on the left, baby.

*Edit*

Took the ol' air can to it, plenty of dust. Feel like I should take my 2.5hp shop-vac to it and see how much more dust comes out... but the 70+mph "breeze" that comes out of it might do more harm than good.

Yes, I know exactly what you speaketh of on thy GTA4.

I've blow-cleaned mine with one of those cans plenty of times. It's just fine.

Though I didn't allow it to gather as much dust as it sounds like you did. Still...I don't see what all it could hurt if it's already acting funky. You consider ever making a manually adjusted current control to plug your vac into? Might be able to crank the speed and suction down to a "safe level".

...or just open the thing and meticulously blow clean every nook and cranny...

Keep in mind tho I'm the kind of guy who drags in junk to either repair or scrap for the parts ALL THE TIME. If I were married, I'm sure my wife would kill me for turning the bedroom into a repair shop.

My 360 got the RRoD a month ago and after sending in my repair request a month ago, I still haven't received a box to put it in. I am slowly switching over to the Playstation side. Their consoles last longer than Nintendo's and Microsoft's. The PSOne was in production from 1994 to 2006. The PS2 is still lasting and its nine years old. And the PS3 is expected to last at least 10 years.

I'm sorry, but the PS3 just doesn't have the vast selection of good games that I'm looking for in a console. Even the next Final Fantasies aren't exclusive.

Hay guise! Guess who HASNT got the RRoD yet?! THATS RIGHT

but thats because i never use the damn thing

Um . . . can I have yours?

Yes, I know exactly what you speaketh of on thy GTA4.

I've blow-cleaned mine with one of those cans plenty of times. It's just fine.

Though I didn't allow it to gather as much dust as it sounds like you did. Still...I don't see what all it could hurt if it's already acting funky. You consider ever making a manually adjusted current control to plug your vac into? Might be able to crank the speed and suction down to a "safe level".

...or just open the thing and meticulously blow clean every nook and cranny...

Err... my dad has an IKEA light dimmer sliding-switch for his night stand... would that work? :V

Err... my dad has an IKEA light dimmer sliding-switch for his night stand... would that work? :V

IKEA? Not sure--I pull that up to see several little products...not sure...Can it handle HUGE currents? I would say NO right off the bat... at least until I knew more about your device. That is essentially what I'm talking about I suppose. You could buy a variable autotransformer or "Variac" from ebay or an electrical supply house which may just be simpler. It's a bit expensive but you'd be surprised just how useful one of these suckers can be to have around.

The easiest might be to, say, find an outlet controlled by a dimmer switch I suppose. Not sure if it controls current or voltage, it depends on the particular dimmer. I think most go for voltage. Decreasing either voltage or current will decrease its power. Just mind you, it (the Vacuum) may have a cutoff at a certain low point where it'll refuse to work or it could malfunction. I don't really think it'll hurt things--it's a vacuum and hence an AC motor which aren't very finicky.

I'm looking at the diagrams I have for AC motor control and they appear to control voltage instead of current. Either one would work I think. You could scavenge a varistor out of a dead microwave of the turn knob variety if you wanted to build this thing from scratch...as a start... I wouldn't want this all to turn into an expensive and/or complex project just to clean your machine, just thought you might have parts or outlets handy. (I have a workshop in my room :xp:)

Maybe I'm jumping ahead of myself for what I'm thinking: are you good with a soldering iron? Can you read schematic diagrams? Have you done even minor electrical work?...PM me or VM me if you are still curious to follow it up, but a word of warning, yer gonna have to get your hands dirty if you're determined...

It might be easier just to ghetto rig it, use the Vac and maybe filter the blower with your hand and perhaps some rags to slow down airflow significantly... Whatever you think necessary for your machine's well being.

Jus thought I'd offer help... somehow.

EDIT: maybe a hair dryer on cool mode? A common small blower device? Something like that???

IKEA? Not sure--I pull that up to see several little products...not sure...Can it handle HUGE currents? I would say NO right off the bat... at least until I knew more about your device. That is essentially what I'm talking about I suppose. You could buy a variable autotransformer or "Variac" from ebay or an electrical supply house which may just be simpler. It's a bit expensive but you'd be surprised just how useful one of these suckers can be to have around.

The easiest might be to, say, find an outlet controlled by a dimmer switch I suppose. Not sure if it controls current or voltage, it depends on the particular dimmer. I think most go for voltage. Decreasing either voltage or current will decrease its power. Just mind you, it (the Vacuum) may have a cutoff at a certain low point where it'll refuse to work or it could malfunction. I don't really think it'll hurt things--it's a vacuum and hence an AC motor which aren't very finicky.

I'm looking at the diagrams I have for AC motor control and they appear to control voltage instead of current. Either one would work I think. You could scavenge a varistor out of a dead microwave of the turn knob variety if you wanted to build this thing from scratch...as a start... I wouldn't want this all to turn into an expensive and/or complex project just to clean your machine, just thought you might have parts or outlets handy. (I have a workshop in my room :xp:)

Maybe I'm jumping ahead of myself for what I'm thinking: are you good with a soldering iron? Can you read schematic diagrams? Have you done even minor electrical work?...PM me or VM me if you are still curious to follow it up, but a word of warning, yer gonna have to get your hands dirty if you're determined...

It might be easier just to ghetto rig it, use the Vac and maybe filter the blower with your hand and perhaps some rags to slow down airflow significantly... Whatever you think necessary for your machine's well being.

Jus thought I'd offer help... somehow.

EDIT: maybe a hair dryer on cool mode? A common small blower device? Something like that???

seinfield_wwwfacepunchcom.gif

But i am in a high class area, people drop a grand just cuz they can.

Same here. I remember when I used to get excited on Easter, when I got a basket with a chocolate bunny, chocolate foil eggs and jelly beans. Now days the baskets come filled with consoles, games, and controllers. It's all good though I am enjoying the comp gains. ;)

the RROD has nothing to do with what model ur system is bro; its the use of their whack ass plastic washers that get too hot and melt leaving the wires grounded...... replace them with metla washers and ur set for life without the BS from microsuck.

The Red Ring Of Death has nothing to do with what model system you happen to own, friend. The real problem lies in the use of plastic washers that get exceptionally hot and melt, leaving the wires grounded. I suggest that you replace them with metal washers and then your system can enjoy a much greater lifespan without all the riff raff of having to send your console in for servicing to the blokes in Redmond.

Cheers, Saurumonk :)

Fix'd

the RROD has nothing to do with what model ur system is bro; its the use of their whack ass plastic washers that get too hot and melt leaving the wires grounded...... replace them with metla washers and ur set for life without the BS from microsuck.

No. GTFO. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

This is the third time I've had to say this. It's getting annoying.

For the love of christ no-one listen to this man. It's so wrong that I don't even know where to begin.

The RRoD isn't caused by "whack ass plastic washers that get too hot and melt leaving the wires grounded." The RRoD is most commonly caused because of the crappy design of the X-Clamp that's used to keep the heatsinks on the GPU and CPU. It stresses the Motherboard and causes it to Warp, and the GPUs solder slowly loses it's connection to the motherboard.

i fixed my friends without replacing the x-clamp at all. just took off the heat absorbing pads off the ram chips and put rubber on them. they don't absorb heat, and space it better as well. his has been working fine for about 3 weeks now. i'm using it until my box gets back from MS.

I can't believe that after more than three years Microsoft still hasn't solved the 360's reliability problems.

On second thought, I can. :(

You can't believe that they haven't definitively fixed a vague hardware issue (RROD's are just general hardware faults), recalled every single machine ever sold and replaced them? :p

I can't believe that they haven't definitively determined the cause(s) for such a high percentage of hardware failures.

I have no beef with how they're compensating customers for it. If they wanted to be dicks about it, they could have just said "Tough. Buy another one," but they decided to step up instead. It just seems that they could save themselves a lot of money and their customers a lot of grief if they would just make an investment in completely redesigning the thing.

I have no beef with how they're compensating customers for it. If they wanted to be dicks about it, they could have just said "Tough. Buy another one," but they decided to step up instead.

That wouldn't have gone over real well. Class action lawsuits anyone?

I'm pretty sure it was cheaper to fix it for free under an extended warranty than to be sued by millions of people.

well i got my box back it literally took 4 days to process repair and get sent back to me. quite awesome really no my baby is back in my life, thought i was goin through withdrawls for a bit there....LoL

They've certainly seemed to have stepped their **** up. Mine died for the first time just about a year ago and it took probably just over a week for me. Glad to see that they don't take weeks like they used to. Also, replacement or fix?

Archived