Home

Is a MI2:SE possible at all?

Laserschwert

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's interesting, they actually stretched Purcell's artwork quite a bit, they also did a lot work, too. Some of the details have been refined in the smaller version. (Plus, they added the "foreground" blurring that's seen in many screens in order to try and add depth.)

Here's it stretched and blurred (including a stretched GB, because I could bother to fix him :)).

cabin.jpg

It's interesting, they actually stretched Purcell's artwork quite a bit, they also did a lot work, too. Some of the details have been refined in the smaller version. (Plus, they added the "foreground" blurring that's seen in many screens in order to try and add depth.)

Nice theories, but I've gotta burst your bubble here: That painting is NOT the one scanned and used for the game... that's just a color test by Purcell.

Here's it stretched and blurred (including a stretched GB, because I could bother to fix him :)).

Guybrush is only stretched, because the image is at 640x400 (just like the original game is at 320x200), which is not a 4:3 resolution. Having it displayed at full-screen on a 4:3-screen would stretch it back correctly.

Guybrush is only stretched, because the image is at 640x400 (just like the original game is at 320x200), which is not a 4:3 resolution. Having it displayed at full-screen on a 4:3-screen would stretch it back correctly.

Err... No. He's stretched because I stretched your original background.

Heh, that is weird. Looking at the two like that, it seems they pretty much completely redrew them once scanned in — too many things don't quite match up for them to have been literally scanned and then touched up a bit.

I guess if most of the art is anything like that, getting high-detail versions of the backgrounds based on Purcell's work would probably take quite a while. Still, probably a much better way than doing them from scratch.

I wonder how these compare to the in-game versions (not got time to locate and compare at the moment):

4.jpg

5.jpg

Err... No. He's stretched because I stretched your original background.

Oh, now I see... anyway, he IS stretched in the screenshots from the original game (and in my mockup) as well.

Looking at the two like that, it seems they pretty much completely redrew them once scanned in — too many things don't quite match up for them to have been literally scanned and then touched up a bit.
As I said, that wasn't the image that got scanned. Quoting Purcell from his blog:

This was my first background test of a cartographer's cabin painted in gouache. Peter Chan was a fiend with color markers and we ended up doing a lot of the backgrounds in marker as it was much quicker than painting.

The "Rogue Leaders"-book states the image to be a test as well.

Bottom line, though, you're both arguing a very tiny point: Can you create a 6 frame walk cycle and make it look smooth and fluid?

Hate to drag this back up, but just to clarify my opinion. I do not think a 6 frame walk can't look smooth and fluid. My opinion was that the higher resolution the character sprite is, the more obvious the lack of frames becomes, and thus it appears less fluid in comparison to a lower resolution 6 frame animation.

But back on-topic. This works for me too :-D (mine are not as good as Laserschwartz's but I threw them together real quick).

MI-2-SE-Voodoo.jpg

Original

Er having trouble finding this, hold on I'll edit it in. (can anyone direct me to this?)

And this -

MI-2-SE-Dock.jpg

Original -

MI-Dock.jpg

This one was easier :)

mi2-map-new.jpg

mi2-map-old.gif

(Unfortunately it's also the last bit of concept artwork we have)

Somebody here said that colour reduction techniques had vastly improved since MI2 was released, so I thought I'd do a little test. This is the above hires painting reduced to 210 colours (leaving a fair number available for the sprites, etc) and 320x200. This, in theory, is what MI2 COULD have looked like in 1992, if the software and hardware had been better. Quite surprising, eh?

mi2-map-old-new.gif

Well there is some on the internet obviously, and a lot can be done with Photoshop too.

I'd be interested in such a project actually. I have some experience with painting in Photoshop aswell as making pixel art and painting.

Original background paintings can be used which are found, the rest can be photoshopped, characters can be photoshopped, items can be redrawn.

Archived