Home

Is a MI2:SE possible at all?

Laserschwert

Hmmm. Okay, I did a similar test using the painting of the boat... The images are almost identical. Maybe the differences in technology wouldn't have made any impact at all.

The TOP image is taken from the painting, reduced the actual game size, and the number of colours reduced. A sharpen filter was added, too.

The BOTTOM image is from an actual screengrab.

mi2-dread-oldnew.jpg

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well there is some on the internet obviously, and a lot can be done with Photoshop too.

Er, no. The images I've used in the last couple of posts are ALL we have :(

Also, as for using photoshop to "res-up" the existing artwork, the filters in ScummVM already do that pretty well. I'm afraid we're stuck, waiting for a MI2: Special Edition...

I think I've seen more of them on Scummbar.com though.

Let me check...

Edit: or on second thought, maybe you're right.

Still, editing in photoshop, partly by hand will be a big difference from the simple blurring filter in ScummVM.

To see any noticeable difference I think you may as well redraw the whole graphic, IMO.

WOW! Holy ****! I totally didn't expect it to look anywhere near that good... Jeez, LS, you're some sort of PS god!!!

I'd be very interested to see you try your hand at Captain Dread's to see how it compares to the original painting... I know it can't look quite as good, I'm wondering if it'd be close!

I don't know exactly what the best method would be for LucasArts to update MI2, but I do know that locating all of the original illustrations and rescanning them in high resolution is the only correct first step. The problem is that Purcell, Chan and company continued the artistic process after the images were digitized. Still, it's pretty clear that the original images are the starting point that should be used. (And they should also be made available separately as a gallery or something. Seriously.)

Let's just hope MI1: SE sells well enough that any of this talk becomes relevant.

Archived