Home

LEC Monday announcement

Benny

Also, whats the deal with DRM on Stream? I know it has it, but do you get an installer that you can burn onto a CD?

You have to be signed in to your Steam account to play (can be offline though).

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I the only one who detests the idea of having to activate the thing online every so often? It just seems so wrong for these games. I want to be able to take my pc and my games up to Botswana when I work there in the middle of the bush with no internet access.

I've never been a fan of internet based activation.

Once I buy something, I want to be able to use it without having to pat the head of a central server to ensure it that I'm not a thief.

Yeah exactly. And just think... in 20 years from now, when we're playing these games (like we do with the old ones now) what are the chances you'll be able to activate them? I know that by then someone will probably have found a way around it but still, these adventure games shouldn't rely on connectivity.

It probably will be possible with Steam, considering how massive it is and the kind of publisher support it has. That or Valve will distribute a way of eliminating the DRM, like as a fail-safe — that's what EA said it would do if it shut its DRM services down.

With regards to playing it offline, it's possible that you may be able to literally copy/paste your entire Steam folder and then tell it to run in offline mode. You won't be able to completely detach it from Steam, though.

What I'd do is install Steam on your other machine, and then overwrite the Steam folder with the one from your other machine. Or perhaps just the games folder ('SteamApps' I think).

It's all about economics I guess and you can kind of understand that. They need to make money. We want them to make money. We're a special bunch, Joe Public doesn't care about pirating these games, but the online activation leaves a bad taste with us lot because most of us probably own more than one copy of each game anyway. Hell I own 5 copies of some of them.

But we're the minority and the money comes from the majority.

Actually I think it's down to exposure and distribution. Steam is quite simply unparalleled when it comes to reaching the most people, handling all the bandwidth, etc — LucasArts simply isn't equipped for that. It's almost the de facto standard for PC digital distribution.

Between Steam and Xbox LIVE Arcade (which both aggressively advertise their latest games), the Special Edition should reach a lot of people and create many new Monkey Island fans. That's good for those of us who want more. :)

You'd hope that seeing as Earl Boen has gone into retirement, Lucasarts would have got him to do the voice work for the special edition of MI2 at the same time as the 1st. Otherwise it looks like we'll have a stand in voice.

He's not retired as a voice actor.

Now that I've played around with it I really see what others where talking about with Steam. I'm very glad that LucasArts has re-released these games and if this is the only they thought it would work so be it but I wish that I could just run the game without Steam or ScummVm. Is this asking to much?

I mean it can't be that hard to do right?

Archived