Home

So uh....It's out, go buy it. Or download the demo.

Monkey Mania

Going to download the demo first, for old times' sake. I remember playing the SoMI demo when I was a kid (and didn't even know what a demo was), and kept wondering why the Voodoo Lady is telling me to buy the full version, I have the game goddammit don't make it stop but whatever.

That, and I can't find the buy link. :/

Dude, 32.5kbps ... this is the slowest dl ever! I mean I've heard of slow... but at this speed I could upload the game just as quickly (which I'll probably do once downloaded if the "demo" version uses the same installer file).

If you want to play Unreal Tournament 3 graphics then, er, play Unreal Tournament 3, I guess.

If you want a game that asks the question: what's sharper, your sword or your wit? then play Tales of Monkey Island!

(Welcome to the forums, though!)

It's totaly not like Grim Fandango.

In Tales of Monkey Island, if you press down, Guybrsuh walks towards the screen, up to walk away from the screen. Left is left of the screen, right is right of the screen.

In Grim Fandango, if you press up you go forward, down to go backwards, left or right to turn Manny. This is much more like you're actually playing the character, instead of some entity floating in space controlling every move of the main character like the system used in Tales.

Character oriented movement simply makes more sense.

I personally find character "driving" absolutely unintuitive. Can't stand it. It's just so clumsy. Character-oriented movement is meant for 3rd-person RPGs or FPS's only. The character "compass direction(?)" controls are much easier and I find it quite natural as they seemed to have designed each area so that any one of the 8 available directional controls makes Guybrush walk perfectly along the path (ie- he doesn't run into walls as often as you'd think, being limited to an 8-directional control).

I personally prefer point-and-click because I find it more relaxing to just click somewhere and have him walk there, rather than have to hold down the movement button/key. This new system is interesting and good though, and I can see why it's used (some camera angles just wouldn't work with point-and-click).

Not playing a game like Grim Fandango because of something like this is mental, though. I do hope you at least played them once. :confused:

Grim Fandango? Hell I must've played it 20 times over! EMI I only played once though, and after reinstalling it the other day I just can't be bothered with the keyboard controls. Grim Fandango at least has the guts behind the control interface which does make it worth it for sure.

Archived