Home

Please change the hidden box back

Like the title says, please change them back to the way they were before, the new ones make me want to vomit myself to death. Also, the button to show/hide the content isn't clearly separated from the the rest of bar it sits on.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Fix it please.

Seconded; it's somewhat, er, schlocky. :indif:

I liked how I'd know immediately where to click, whereas now I have to fiddle around with the "arrow" button. At least, it would be nice to see some sort of option to switch between the current standard and the older one, if at all possible. :)

Also, perhaps we should work on the moderator notes? They feel the same way. I saw one the other day that was huge and red and said only "Removed response to deleted post".

This, I used to like the way a mod could slip something in without disrupting the flow of the whole post and with a trademark colour so you could tell who it was.

The mod notes were created in response to someone faking a petty mod edit in their post and then admonishing a moderator for it. I haven't been using them, but they are staying for sure.

As to the new hidden text box, it's more in line with the vb theme. In fact, the hide/show button started on the right side before being moved to be more usable. It may get some tweaks but I wouldn't count on it reverting.

Not everyone is always going to like every improvement, but the consensus was both of these worked well.

How about you guys show a little respect to stoffe, who spent days of work on these 2 things among many other things she does to keep LF running as sysadmin, and at least complain politely and constructively?

I can understand if you don't like them, but at least consider if your words are going to be hurtful to the person who has worked ungodly hard for you (stoffe) before you post complaints in such a rude manner. If you don't like them, just give suggestions on what things you think of that would improve it. Calling it something that makes you 'want to vomit to death' or 'it's schlocky' is destructive criticism, not constructive.

Mod notes--you can thank the person who decided to fake a mod note for that one. Why he thought we wouldn't notice it in the post change log, I don't know. Others have deleted mod warnings and notes, so stoffe figured out a way to make it so these notes can't be deleted, as was requested. These people elected to do something unwise, so stoffe made it so that moderator posts cannot be altered or faked by someone else. I am grateful for this. It's a necessary item because of abuse by some members, and stoffe has graciously developed something that we can use that can't be abused. We're using them to make notes in posts as well as warnings, and is not a reflection on any of you, unless you're bent on creating trouble, of course. ;)

You all should be thanking stoffe profusely for trying to make LF a better place for you all. I talk to her a lot so I have some idea of how very hard she works to keep LF just up and running (it requires daily work to keep it running, with several hours once a week for backups, and a lot more when LF crashes, just to give you a fraction of an idea on what she's doing), much less spending time trying to make improvements to keep it up to date.

You may not like some of the changes she makes, but at least show some respect for the hard work she's done to make those improvements by making your comments constructive instead of just plain hurtful and thoughtless.

Also, perhaps we should work on the moderator notes? They feel the same way. I saw one the other day that was huge and red and said only "Removed response to deleted post".

What's the point? I would understand if it's a mod warning, but...

That was intentional. The point is that the mod note boxes are supposed to be eye-catching and stand out so they aren't easily overlooked when browsing the threads.

The second reasoning behind them is accountability. If you see a mod-note you can be sure that it is written by the person whose name is listed in the top-right corner of the box. No one, neither the original poster nor other forum staff members, can alter the content of someone else's mod note. This is also intended to make it easier for newer members to know who to contact if they have any questions or comments regarding a moderator note (just click the name in the note and you get taken to the profile of the moderator).

That's the functionality requested by the people who wanted such a feature. How or if it is used is up to the individual moderators.

(That said, the design of the box is not set in stone and can fairly easily be tweaked. I didn't get any suggestions how it should look so I just put something together quickly.)

I like 'em

Thanks. :)

You may not like some of the changes she makes, but at least show some respect for the hard work she's done to make those improvements by making your comments constructive instead of just plain hurtful and thoughtless.
I really can't see how critiquing one aspect of the site automatically creates an ad hominem towards admins. :confused:

I'm not saying that new hidden box is horrible, I just feel that it's somewhat out of place, as well as the fact that it seems to take up a lot more space than the previous one. I also can't really see what was wrong with the older box in the first place. ;)

On the other hand, I do like the mod notes, as they serve an actual purpose. The first time seeing it was a bit jarring, however. :p

I really can't see how critiquing one aspect of the site automatically creates an ad hominem towards admins. :confused:
The comment wasn't directed entirely at you, nor did I say it was an ad hominem. I said it was destructive criticism that has hurtful rather than useful.

I'm not saying that new hidden box is horrible, I just feel that it's somewhat out of place, as well as the fact that it seems to take up a lot more space than the previous one. I also can't really see what was wrong with the older box in the first place. ;)

This is a far more useful critique than 'schlocky', and more polite.

(That said, the design of the box is not set in stone and can fairly easily be tweaked. I didn't get any suggestions how it should look so I just put something together quickly.)
Maybe the code for the mod notes could be tied with the code to check for unread posts, and mod notes would only appear like they do now if a user hasn't already read the post? For instance if someone has already read the a post with a mod note attached to it, the mod note could use a darker style or hidden a la the hidden tags previously bitched about, but marked as a mod note instead of just hidden text. Feel free to message me about it, despite my rough and tough exterior I am sweet and mushy on the inside like a truffle and would be happy to help with any technical aspects :)

That's the functionality requested by the people who wanted such a feature. How or if it is used is up to the individual moderators.

Thanks, stoffe - now I understand. Maybe they could be tweaked a bit in order to make them a little more in line with the vB theme.

_EW_

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
This post is not an attack.

I know I'm really late to the thread and everything's already been said and done but I just want to say one thing...

the new ones make me want to vomit myself to death

Just a little bit melodramatic...

We don't mind critisism, but please remember that certain people are spending their time working on these things for LFN when they could be doing other things.

Make your suggestions, leave out the vomit to death parts or anything along those lines for the future.

Archived