Home

Musical Influences

Det. Bart Lasiter

In light of the best thread in the entire KotOR sub-forum being ****canned, I decided to make this thread and put forth the theory that both The Beatles and Green Day were both hack bands who have contributed nothing to music and oh-so-much to re-packaging the work of musicians considered too "ethnic" for mainstream audiences of the time to have driven down their throats.

In short: play me some more Chuck Berry licks and sing at me through a cloud of weed smoke and under a fog of acid-soaked hallucinations, Beatles; get off the stage Armstrong & Co, you're a gaggle of middle-aged hacks who slap on foundation and eyeliner until you've filled in ~20 years of wrinkles and you don't even have the decency to come up with your own style of showmanship.

34gpuo0.jpg

:parrot:

I have to admit that although a headbanger and do like a lot of modern music and themes, I am somewhat clueless on the prospect of contributing to real music. As some guy with a part time DJMC gig going and playing CDs and MP3s for people, and a musician father, etc. admittedly I am undereducated in music though I am around it a lot.

Video Game music that is independently composed and IMO it is some of the best in recent melodic currents I ever heard. Yet even so this could stand to learn a thing or two from the classics. In one case it did use classics: Gyruss for NES using Beethoven if only briefly for some level intros.

TBH, does anyone (not a music major) really know what a significant contribution to music as a whole would *consist* of?

yase you offer a compelling argument why a discussion happening previously is purely a matter for a blog of some kind maybe you should head on back to da and post some more of your "art", shindaku

There's no need to be disrespectful. You could at least make the effort to copy and paste my DA name correctly. Kavars is a place for serious discussion. What part of "I don't like the *insert band name*" is a serious discussion? Hmm?

The "discussion" before? Sure, it has some interesting merits. This has NONE of them. All you did in that thread was made weird racist statements and post pictures after a SINGLE post on your thoughts on the game. There's no discussion here, there's just more of your mouthing off and stupid pictures.

The entire basis of this thread is: "white people are racist." And frankly, that's not only a terrible place to start any kind of discussion from, it's downright insulting.

There's no need to be disrespectful. You could at least make the effort to copy and paste my DA name correctly. Kavars is a place for serious discussion. What part of "I don't like the *insert band name*" is a serious discussion? Hmm?

The "discussion" before? Sure, it has some interesting merits. This has NONE of them. All you did in that thread was made weird racist statements and post pictures after a SINGLE post on your thoughts on the game. There's no discussion here, there's just more of your mouthing off and stupid pictures.

The entire basis of this thread is: "white people are racist." And frankly, that's not only a terrible place to start any kind of discussion from, it's downright insulting.

feel free to just read my post as some sort of neo-malcolm x fight the power thing if you'd like it certainly would save you the trouble of actually arguing feel free to keep thinking they didn't just recycle previously existing music though that is your right as an american :nvr4get:

ganbatte... shindaku-san

e04x8p.jpg

<Thread hijack and rail setting>

So then, onto the business of music: What bands in your opinion, articulation, etc. etc. have had the biggest overall impact on music in our modern societies? Which ones have contributed most? Are there any genres/fields of music that are truly inspiring. Why?

I guess I'm being broad and vague b/c I want this to be a frank discussion in real earnest about the effects music has had within the past, say 75 years WITHOUT it turning into a debate which snowballs into a huge forum brawl.

I'll start off: I believe the Shock Rock era was inspired by the Hair Bands of the 1980s. While Bands like Alice Cooper, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, among others were alongside Heavy Metal in the eighties, the variation of bizarre and "badboy on rock'n'roll" was a merging unlike others before it and something not yet seen in the world. While this wore itself out and there was significant other breakout in music by the time the late eighties and early ninties rolled around, this element never completely died IMO.

In the 90's Rap had really taken off as well a hip hop, R&B, and this bublle gum-ish pop element had oddly just appeared. Once this begun to wear down, however, Rock came back again.

Marylin Manson was popular for his controversial stuff through the nineties. He was Mr. Shock and bizarre making all the headlines with all sorts of antics. All the while was a major fan of 80's hair bands and metal. Didn't take too long for other bands to follow suit or try to imitate him in some form.

One of my Ex GFs loved Good Charlotte who supposedly did the same--I just never had the interest in listening to them personally. As you may or may not have noticed, Hair bands somewhat came back. IMO due in large part to Manson's actions in pulling Quiet Riot back together for one last hurrah in the late 90's--it inspired the others to come out from their woodpiles.

By the time the 2000s rolled around, to my point of view it seemed that metal, punk, goth, industrial, were making a comeback. While Manson's shenanigans were getting tired, the value of shock went from taboo loathed to assimilated and the new rave. Ozz fest breathed life back into rock music.

The rebellious badboy attitude is something the young of every generation will strive for as they grow up to try to be independent. I'm not sure where it came from but I notice emos and their strange similarity to tilt-head skaters of the 80's, and seem to be a sort of mix of bubblegum-pop, shock, glam, punk, goth and god knows what else. I personally cannot stand emos. Emos they annoy metal heads and both new and old punk rockers alike, but still it is a trend something new born of the past culminations.

IMO all the bizarre stuff can be traced to hair bands. Just my observations and POVs. Metal has always been metal, OLD punk always punk music (New stuff is more about a cliqe of a certian fashion and politics as opposed to just music and a mindset), but it seems there is a third and evolving element outside these two and out of the light of other genres that exists, perhaps bridging the worlds of punk, metal, and all the rest.

I'm very much interested to see opinions of my fellow forumites on the evolution of, and influence exerted by, modern music.

BTW I'm also a very big VG music fan if you hadn't already noticed.

White People are Demonic Husks, Thieves, and Destroyers of Cultures, They took the Black man's Soul and made a Buck from Rock N Roll... But I like heavy metal music that is heavily influenced by classical music, so I don't care about all that Malarkey.

My Influence, Yngwie J. Malmsteen: Trilogy.

White People are Demonic Husks, Thieves, and Destroyers of Cultures, They took the Black man's Soul and made a Buck from Rock N Roll... But I like heavy metal music that is heavily influenced by classical music, so I don't care about all that Malarkey.

My Influence, Yngwie J. Malmsteen: Trilogy.

If you like symphonic metal, check out Within Temptation, Epica, and Kamelot, along with Roy Khan's first band Conception. Sabretooth (at least I think it was Sabre) linked some Tristania for me, but they're a little too screamy for my taste.

I'm very much interested to see opinions of my fellow forumites on the evolution of, and influence exerted by, modern music.

Yeah, I seem to recall a few bands in the past mimicking a few tunes from some of the early artist's in the Classical and Romantic periods. Come to think of it Metallica recreated a piece from Beethoven's 5th symphony in there on music style.

I guess you could say they've been influenced by Beethoven in that respect, or at least James Hetfield was.

Well in some cases it is realistic to assume that it was the packaging that made the difference. Some of Elvis's best known songs are actually old blues songs("Hound Dog" was originally done by Big Mamma Thornton). But Elvis was actually a fan of African American Music. Quite a few blues songs were also redone by Led Zeppelin. But I think it's more of a recognition of good music and being respectful. And if it's so bad, then the current crop of R&B artists are falling into the same trap.

As for creative musicians, there are quite a few of them. But you can trace their influences to a number of sources. Though if you are looking for them on normal radio stations, you'd be sorely disappointed. Radio play tends to go to the most generic and bland music of the genre. Radio is the McDonalds of music. Ok maybe Denny's...

While I would tend to agree on the point of Green Day, I shudder to see them placed on the same level as the Beatles.

Certainly there are some bands that shouldn't be placed on the same level of classics. But if no band ever took influences we'd never have genres of any kind and we'd miss out on plenty of music b/c musicians as kids and adults alike listen to their bands and want to replicate them in some way...idk what's wrong with that at all...

Music has its value determined by a listener that enjoys it.

Idk how some people enjoy certain bands but there's gotta be someone who enjoys it, so I just say whatever and listen to what I like.

Certainly there are some bands that shouldn't be placed on the same level of classics. But if no band ever took influences we'd never have genres of any kind and we'd miss out on plenty of music b/c musicians as kids and adults alike listen to their bands and want to replicate them in some way...idk what's wrong with that at all...

Music has its value determined by a listener that enjoys it.

Idk how some people enjoy certain bands but there's gotta be someone who enjoys it, so I just say whatever and listen to what I like.

I guess I didn't make it very clear, but I'm certainly NOT saying that musicians shouldn't taqke influences from other musicians before them. As a musician myself, I take influences from a number of sources... Metallica, Tool, Korn, Bootsy Collins, Geezer Butler, and a littany of others that could take a while to list. All musicians have influences. It helps diversify their style.

As for music value. I equate it as "Simple sells." Some of our most popular songs are the simplest to play. I mean one song I played 5 root notes, but everyone LOVED that song. I hated playing it. I felt like I was going to fall asleep every time I played it. That could be why so many successful bands have the most boring and simple music. It's easy for people to catch the tune. Its easy to sing the song. Easy and simple is easy and simple to repeat.

Isn't that the fun in music though?

For some, but then this thread isn't about fun so much as it is about creativity. Which simple tends to run in the face of creative. *chunk**chunk* *chunk**chunk* is fun, but not very creative. I mean Korn has a lot of songs like that. But then you have Tool with more creative songs, and well... Korn is more popular than Tool(intentionally using major bands for people's understanding). Heck MUSICALLY speaking, death metal bands are some of the more creative. But they are really far off the main stream.

But realistically, if you can't find a creative band out there right now, that is YOUR failure. There are a lot of them out there. Ya just gotta look for the one that meets your needs. But you can't find the most creative bands on broadcast radio. My suggestion would be to get out and check out local bands. It's rather hit or miss, but many of them are FAR more creative than what you hear on the radio.

Maybe the main topic is about The Beatles being overrated. Which I can understand. They weren't the first rock band, and certainly not the most creative. But they did get marketed well. Kinda like Star Wars. Not the first nor best Sci-fi but marketed very well.

Archived