• Tales of Monkey Island Blog (new!)
    • The Pumpkin Post
    • The Thrillville Quarterly (new!)
    • Highland Productions
    • Nightlight Productions
    • The Monkey Island Speech Project
    • LucasArts Quick and Easy
    • The Snake's Poison Pen (new!)

Had to go with the TMI Blog simply because it was awesome to actually have a new active hosted site that diligently covered a current game with a fair amount of zeal, complete with exclusive interviews!

Honorable mention goes to Quick & Easy (woot for those TMI audio tools) and the always dependable The Pumpkin Post, which will hopefully have more to report on next year, with Autumn Moon closing down not being among the headlines.

How is "Brutal!" not a hosted site, other than on a technicality?

I guess it might not physically be on the same server, but its run by Mojo staff-type people, listed in LFN and Mojo network site lists, updates the "hosted site news" headlines, etc.

You're probably right - the site even bills itself as a "presentation" of the IHOM in the footer. I think psychologically I've always lumped The Page of Metal Brutal! into the same category as The SCUMM Bar, which couldn't be a "hosted" site on the basis of it predating Mojo. I don't know, Thrik's site has an epicness that makes it feel like its own network rather than a site to which Mojo plays the role of parent, which is what I always viewed - perhaps incorrectly - the hosted site relationship to be. Plus everyone knows that nothing can compete with Brutal! anyway and we'd have no poll.

I think the fact that the days of unbelievably comprehensive hosted sites (DOTTcom, The Mansion, The Kickstand, etc.) are generally long behind us and most hosted sites tending to be little more than glorified news blogs have contributed to the confused view I have on these things.

Most importantly Brutal! doesn't see itself as related to Mixnmojo that way. It lists us as an affiliate, along with various other sites, and there's no mention of us on the about page. Plus it's hardly run by "Mojo staff-type people" -- it's just Thrik.

I hadn't seen the "brought to you by The International House of Mojo" link before, but I don't know how that statement is true anyway.

Honorable mention goes to Quick & Easy (woot for those TMI audio tools) and the always dependable The Pumpkin Post, which will hopefully have more to report on next year, with Autumn Moon closing down not being among the headlines.

I hope so too!

Also, thanks for voting, jp-30. :) The Pumpkin Post hasn't been as busy in 2009 as before, but that should change when Ghost Pirates nears its English release... I should try if I can get another interview, actually.

Hee, well I'm not too bothered by the lack of inclusion — to be honest the Tales of MI blog has my vote anyway! I wouldn't want the poll restarting or anything like that.

But just to clarify, BRUTAL! was originally hosted on the LFN server but I decided to move it because I wanted more control over certain server aspects and didn't want to infringe on the LFN bandwidth too much (I was originally hosting all the videos myself but the bandwidth soon became epic).

So I shifted it to a more dedicated server, but opted to keep the references to Mojo open (changing 'hosted by' to 'brought to by' and 'associated with') as a way of acknowledging the fact it is spiritually (and briefly was) a Mojo hosted site, and also to throw some traffic across as I try to promote Mojo as much as I can.

In my eyes it's the same as if Remi were to put the SCUMM Bar onto his own server right now — I'd imagine it'd still be considered part of the Mojo network (or rather the LFN, which any hosted site with its own domain such as Tales of MI Blog technically is).

... there's no mention of us on the about page. Plus it's hardly run by "Mojo staff-type people" -- it's just Thrik.

There was actually a header and paragraph on there outlining the above, but it seemed a bit verbose so I culled it a few months ago along with other unrelated pages for simplicity. Also while it is just me administrating it, many of the news tips come from Mojo forumites and staff.

But yeah, I don't want including in the poll. The praise above is meaningful enough for me. :D

Archived