Home

XWA one year thread V: A Slightly Better, but Used Hope

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went to hang out with my old roommates in my former university town (to get away for a few days), and re-met an amazing girl I'd been introduced to about 5 years ago when I was still in school, but basically lost touch with. We spent the better part of two days just talking. And I felt like a normal human being for the first time in two weeks.

Here's the kicker... I met her through my ex-wife. We were on the verge of dating at the time, and she dragged me along to this girl's birthday party... On a positive note, though, the day after that party, she told my now-ex, "If you don't want him, he's mine."

So yeah... Between her being somewhere between a friend and acquaintance of my ex, and the ink not even being dry on the separation agreement, I'm not in a hurry to rush into anything... But we agreed that there was no harm in getting to know each other a little better in the mean time.

Which also means more excuses to take road trips to see my old roommates! It's been four years since I lived in that house, and it still feels more like home than anywhere else I've ever lived, and they still feel more like family than most of my own family. It's only a 90 minute drive.

So the divorce went through already? When did that process start? In the states in can take forever and a day....

I am guessing separation agree != divorce

although, a divorce in the US can go pretty fast if you either, have little assets to divide, or quickly agree how to split said assets

In Canada, you can only get divorced if there's been adultery, significant mental or physical abuse, or you've been separated for a year.

Because of the hassle and cost involved in the first two, most people choose to separate, and then draw up paperwork regarding the division of assets and liabilities, custody of children, support payments, etc... All the typical divorce stuff, except you do it when you first separate so that after the year's up you can just go to the DMV, give 'em $250, and they give you your divorce papers.

I'm actually a big fan of the one-year waiting period... You're allowed to live together for up to 90 consecutive days without having to start the one-year wait over again, so while it won't happen in my case, I've got a few friends that decided to give it another shot, worked things out, and have been happy ever since. Without the wait, they'd have just been another pair of divorcees.

Congrats on another rugrat/ mouth to feed/ addition to the fambly, Ike!

What's that make now?

Work went surprisingly smoothly. Long day. Lot of work. 16 different bands. But it all went well. No real stress.

Things are really heating up with the lady. Looks like she and the kids are coming to Thanksgiving with my family.

And I have to very, very careful where I open any text-message photo-attachment from her from now on.

:joy:

Not that I know of... but, for you, I'll look into it! :D

Of course: I do work at a music college. I know many, many members of the female student population that could lead to an awesome experience... musically and otherwise... IF they weren't totally off limits to a staff member... I.E.: Me.

But then... they wouldn't be off-limits to you...

:joy:

You're from New York. Nobody likes people from New York. :p

Hrrrmmmm... Friend of mine just introduced me to a 20 year old that enjoys the company of slightly older men. I'm excited by the prospect of getting my ashes hauled, but I don't know how I feel about the 7 year age difference, especially when inside my head, I'm basically a 60 year old man.

My lady is 7 years younger.

Not a problem these days... but an impossible barrier when we knew each other way back when I was in my late teens/ early 20's.

Still: she's confessed she always had a big crush on me back then. I always thought she was cute.

Archived