• Both
    • Used to
    • No: would like to though
    • No: I have never and have no interest
    • Ya know Yoda Homeschooled!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't say plainly because I think both are flawed, with homeschooling being more-so out of the two.

School sucks. It is an unfortunate part of life, but there you are. You have bullies in both student and teacher form, people judging you all day, and so on. Most people have at least a few friends or acquaintances to hang out with, and you at least have 1 or 2 memorably fun teachers. Between the peer pressure, grading, and misinformation, its can be difficult to come out really educated.

So, most parents assume: lets do it ourselves. I admit, this DOES work as my two cousins were pulled out of their school because one of them was being jumped every day and beaten to a pulp. They now learn at home, and one of them has already skipped 2 grades.

However, I think Homeschooling on principle is... flawed. Most people would assume school is where you learn, but frankly I learned more browsing the internet and 1 year of High School than I did in both middle school and elementary school combined.

What I think public and even private schools offer is the social experience. If you're holed up at home all day working, you miss, despite how ****ing annoying it is, a lot of lessons that school can give. A few kids in High School I met that skipped Elementary and Middle were... incredibly awkward around other people because their super religious mothers had decided to hole them up in their home until High School.

The social experience of school is like being rubbed against sandpaper, but it makes you "tougher", more polished, if it doesn't completely break you, I think. And, if your son or daughter is one to succumb to peer pressure... I highly doubt introducing them to people at High School is going to help their issue at all.

Sure, school has drugs, gangs, and so on but, again, and introduction to this world late, I think, hurts more than it helps. Now, if the school is just overly terrible about this kind of thing, like with my cousins school, then please pull them out before they do something drastic.

But, I've seen too many kids arrive into High School and later after a life of homeschooling and witnessed how utterly ignorant they are. Yes, they have a fine education but knowing every word in a book isn't going to help you in a social environment. Not to mention many of the most religiously ignorant people I've ever met were the fine outcome of a life of homeschooling with a bat**** mother and/or father.

This is just my opinion. My mother was about to pull me into homeschooling after I was deemed too mentally troubled for regular school, but luckily I placed into a rehabilitation class and am better for it. My school life sucked, but I'd still take it over a comfortable homeschooling because I value those experiences more than most.

There are some special cases though. I have a hard time trusting people after a few incidents, and I'd personally recommend pulling your son or daughter if they come out of the closet and plan to at school. Happened a few years back around here and the boy was beaten to death by a gang of kids with baseball bats after school, and you still hear of kids being jumped a lot.

It depends on the school system, TA. If we still lived in Chicago, I'd be home-schooling my kids because the system in Chicago is utterly atrocious. Just going to school in some of the high schools in Chicago and a number of bigger cities is plain dangerous with the gangs and guns. I wouldn't let my children go to unsafe schools. I disagree that later exposure to negative things like violence is bad. I think as we mature we actually gain skills that allow us to deal with those things more effectively.

With the wide variety of good solid home-schooling programs available, along with lots of opportunities for social activities outside of the home school, there is no reason for home schooling to be inferior to any public school system, and many private schools.

Being homeschooled allows me to grow much closer to my family, and have deep, mature conversations that wouldn't be able to be had if I was in Public school. I'm allowed to to less work at homeschool because my teacher (my mom) can pay attention to me, and me alone, getting rid of the whole idea of homework.

JM

As a Finn, I've always viewed the concept of home schooling as something, well, strange. Since I believe the biggest part of why school is fun is because of the friends you hang out with, they pull you through boring classes and so forth. And to be perfectly honest, I think I used the school as a form of escapism where I could forget about the turmoil of my parents divorce and the constant bullying I experienced outside of the school environment. Elementary school in particular got me through some tough times.

Going to school without the social aspect feels utterly horrible. :/

I don't see how anyone would want to be home-schooled, you'd just end up socially awkward, and with a jaded educational experience. The point of going to school is to meet people, form your own social network, and to get your education from a variety of opinionated minds. I'd say that more than the factual accuracy of what you learn, you're better off with an array of viewpoints on the subject than just one. From just a teacher standpoint numerically speaking it's logical to think that you'd gain more knowledge from having a multitude of teachers with different backgrounds and specialties versus having one teacher, whom also at one point may or may not have wiped your ass for you. I'm not trying to attack people that have been home-schooled, because I actually have a few friends that have been home-schooled and they're successful at what they do. I'm just saying that I can't help but wonder how different they'd be if they went to a public/private school.

Being homeschooled allows me to grow much closer to my family, and have deep, mature conversations that wouldn't be able to be had if I was in Public school. I'm allowed to to less work at homeschool because my teacher (my mom) can pay attention to me, and me alone, getting rid of the whole idea of homework.

JM

You're 13, even if you just started being homeschooled you wouldn't have enough experience in a public or private school to make those kinds of judgments.

Agreed with Mav and Pho3nix

It depends on the school system, TA. If we still lived in Chicago, I'd be home-schooling my kids because the system in Chicago is utterly atrocious. Just going to school in some of the high schools in Chicago and a number of bigger cities is plain dangerous with the gangs and guns. I wouldn't let my children go to unsafe schools.

I know, and like I said I recommend taking them out like my Aunt did with my cousins in that situation.

I disagree that later exposure to negative things like violence is bad. I think as we mature we actually gain skills that allow us to deal with those things more effectively.

Differing definitions on Mature, then. I do not think maturity is something to gain simply by aging. Keeping a kid at home all his teenage life does not make a mature kid, I think. Later exposure to something to protect children like fragile wine glasses, I think, causes immaturity while the harsh sandpaper of experience polishes you.

This isn't to say I think you should throw your kid into a gang and force him to play GTA, but kids are not anywhere near as fragile as I think many people believe. Yes, it hurts to grow up but you need to get rubbed to grow calluses.

If an 8 year old in Africa can go to school and support her brothers and sisters alone, then most kids can live through the horrors of public schooling.

With the wide variety of good solid home-schooling programs available, along with lots of opportunities for social activities outside of the home school, there is no reason for home schooling to be inferior to any public school system, and many private schools.

Social activities and having to go to school, I think, are different.

In your case and my cousins case I agree to take them out if the school is unreasonably bad, but I think having to go do something you don't particularly enjoy is a life building exercise. You are GOING to have to deal with d***s in life, and you are GOING to eventually have to work in a bad job with bad people.

A social activity is going and hanging out. School is as much a life building exercise for college and work as it is an education system. Despite peer pressure and all that jazz being "terrible", those people do end up being better socially in life because they have more experience with people, good or bad.

It is circumstantial, but I overall think home-schooling prepares you less for life and is inferior in every way except for the increased potential to be book smart.

My primary issue with Home Schooling is you are introduced to differing opinions later in life. One of the main reasons I recommend being social young is you are introduced to other's opinions, reasoning, outlooks, religions, etc. You see lifestyles, and differing people, social norms, and out of the norm.

It breeds ignorance, phobia, and an inability for someone to break out of what they have considered to be the world their entire life up till that point. Like I said, the most ignorant people I met in high school were the home schooled kids.

Mature conversation apparently isn't possible in public schooling, which entirely depends on the group you're in which depends on how socially adept you are... which home school, I think, does not prep you for.

But, my main question is, how hard is your mother on you in your homeschooling?

My aunt rings my cousins out like crazy in home school, more so than any teacher I've ever seen. Half the reason my cousin is skipping 2 grades is because she's probably doing upwards of 3 times the amount of work a normal kid does because my Aunt will absolutely not let her become the screw up she grew up to be.

I think social activities are part of the public/private school experience, and should be a part of the home school experience as well, and that's why I added social activities to my comments. I think if a parent home schools, it's essential to involve the kids in some kind of outside group activity so that they gain some of the social maturity that you describe. Social activities cannot be optional for home-schoolers, or they have a higher probability of having the problems you fear.

Some kids can do terrific in a public school situation. Some kids do much better in a home school situation. Some parents are great home schoolers, some parents should not be allowed to crack open a teaching manual. The advantage to home schooling is that as a parent-teacher, you know your kids very well, and you can tailor the curriculum to their particular interests and talents. For instance, my son loves wild birds and my daughter loves reptiles. If I were homeschooling, I'd teach science/reading/math modules that involved those things. You can't get that kind of personalization in public school.

There are advantages to public schools--the public school system we're currently in has a phenomenal music program and a fantastic sports program. My kids are never going to be the football/baseball types, but they both like running, and our system has a decent cross country program. I'm taking great advantage of the music program because it's so tremendous here. If my kids stay in the program long enough, it's possible they'll be able, depending on their talent level, to get some music scholarships. That's not something they'd be able to get home schooling. However, not every system has those kinds of opportunities, and some systems are just plain bad. When you're talking about school systems with a 50% failure rate at graduating kids, then home-schooling sounds like a terrific alternative.

Yeah, I'd really only recommend home schooling if the schools are utterly terrible... which is an ongoing trend in the US, unfortunately.

Still, despite the schools being terrible, I can't blame them completely because I think even if the school is terrible, if you have a support structure at home you can take it. I think bad parenting is responsible for more dropouts than our system, so unfortunately some kids are screwed regardless of public or home schooling.

The personalization aspect is a great advantage of home school though, I agree. My private class in middle school had many kids in it, but a lot of teacher aids to help everyone. It was very personalized, so I got more out of it than I think I would have gotten in normal classes.

If I could put everyone in my middle school class I would. It was like, the perfect mix of great public schooling and homeschooling. I imagine its like private school, but every person I've seen come out of private school hated it.

I can see the Prom being real exciting had I been homeschooled.:rolleyes:

Not to mention, thinking about getting my butt whipped in ever intercollegiate sport. Do they have one on one football?:xp:

Add On: There is only one reason to go to school for an adolescent male and I certainly hope you are not getting that at home school.:dev14:

And did you come out alright?

Well, I can't trust anyone nearly enough to form meaningful relationships, I firmly believe that love is a lie and I think that life is pretty ****ing pointless.

Does that answer your question?

Well, I can't trust anyone nearly enough to form meaningful relationships, I firmly believe that love is a lie and I think that life is pretty ****ing pointless.

Does that answer your question?

See, you came out fine! *brofist*

Being homeschooled allows me to grow much closer to my family, and have deep, mature conversations that wouldn't be able to be had if I was in Public school.

That's an unfair claim to make, especially if you predominantly have experience of only one system of education.

I can't speak for the American education system, but when I was at school, we had plenty of deep, mature conversations. It's pretty hard to discuss certain topics without it turning into a mature discussion (especially certain areas of modern history which I won't bother mentioning).

I wasn't homeschooled, so I can't comment on whether it's good or bad, even though I personally don't rate it at all. And although there were rough parts to my education, on the whole I enjoyed attending school, as I made friends there who I am still in regular contact with, and discovered passions for subjects that I still love to this day.

I've been homeschooled since third grade and honestly, I find it the supirior education. I live in VA which has the best schools in the country, same with homeschooling in my area. But that's just me. Homestly, I take coatlilian, and believe that I wouldn'd be missing anything prom related. Also, you can make alot of friends through it that have alot in common with you!

Speaking from personal experience, school has taught me how to be with/handle other people. Interpersonal communication is one of the most critical subjects to learn as a human being, and that's really the basis of school (besides, y'know, preparing another generation for the workforce).

While I can see the benefits of being homeschooled (lack of bullying, negative pressure [assuming that your parent isn't a nut], increased motive to help you succeed, and many more), I don't think that it's worth one's social skills being stunted.

I've been homeschooled since third grade and honestly, I find it the superior education. I live in VA which has the best schools in the country, same with homeschooling in my area. But that's just me. Honestly, I take coatlilian, and believe that I wouldn't be missing anything prom related. Also, you can make a lot of friends through it that have a lot in common with you!
Woot homeschooling! Also, what is coatlilian?

See, you came out fine! *brofist*
I have to agree with Mav's sarcasm here if you can't even agree with Jim Morrison's sentiment that life is to "(get your) kicks before the whole **** house goes up in flames".

I've been homeschooled since third grade and honestly, I find it the supirior education. I live in VA which has the best schools in the country, same with homeschooling in my area. But that's just me. Homestly, I take coatlilian, and believe that I wouldn'd be missing anything prom related. Also, you can make alot of friends through it that have alot in common with you!
****in lol

It's like dancing and dinner and ettquite and outings. Kinda like prom. When your older, you can invite dates.
so like a cotillion?

While public school (or pubic school in mimartin's case :xp: ) does have an advantage of being "free", you often get what you pay for in the end. I'd tend to agree that it's the parents that make or break the value of homeschooling (even schooling in general). Good homeschoolers are going to look beyond simply book learning and will find other social outlets for their kids in order to avoid "stunting" their development. A hostile learning environment is no better than a "closed off" one and probably worse. There are often better places to find friends than school or even work (social networking, local activities, etc...).

Archived