Home

Dragon Age 2

Pavlos

Dude... I was being sarcastic when I wrote that. :p

oh sorry, I blame the internet.

I'll admit; in Dragon Age 1, it was executed pretty damn well and helped the game separate itself from other fantasy fictions. But it'd be redundant for the same theme to reappear in the sequel. You said it yourself; BioWare needs to add things to differentiate its titles from one another. Besides, I'd prefer more back-story on the villains (Dark-Spawn, Arch-Demons and whatever main villain BioWare introduces in the sequel) instead of a corrupt politician who hates Jed- I mean Grey Wardens.

Yeah, this is certainly true, I don't want to see the same theme all over again, but assuming we're starting from a rebuilt Grey Warden order in the future, I would think that would make things quite different.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Planescape: Torment and Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura, to name two. But I really don't want to repeat that old rantpost and I'm sure you only asked that rhetorically any way.

Nevermind. IMO: there's nothing original about Victorian Steampunk.

Why are clichés automatically a bad thing? There's a wonderful essay called, you guessed it, "Clichés" by the great critic Christopher Ricks on the power of phrases rubbed smooth by use: "The deliberate and responsible use of a cliché can foster critical self-consciousness; not a paralysed self-consciousness of the narcissistic kind that disappears into itself, but the kind that properly grounds its imaginative flights in the cliché's unservile acknowledgement that it is a cliché."

There are silences. These, too, they endure:

Soft comings-on; soft after-shocks of calm.

Quietly they wade the disturbed shore;

Gather the dead as the first dead scrape home. (from "The Guardians", Geoffrey Hill)

'Scrape home' is a triumph, though it winces at a defeat. It is unforcedly literal, 'scrape' being the dead body as like a keel that runs ashore, and 'home' being nothing but the truth. But in the gap between such a way of scraping home and our usual application (in American, scrape by? -- just winning, just safe, gulping with relief) -- in that gap is the appalling heart-break of the poem, the gap between what we always hope of life and what we often get.

The cliché is rotated into a new light and given new life. Might be worth thinking about.

All steampunk is fantasy.

Since the 1990s, the application of the steampunk label has expanded beyond works set in recognizable historical periods (usually the 19th century) to works set in fantasy worlds that rely heavily on steam- or spring-powered technology.

Fantasy steampunk settings abound in tabletop and computer role-playing games. Notable examples include Final Fantasy VI, Skies of Arcadia,[19] Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends, Edge of Twilight, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, and the Thief series.

Wikipedia vs. Wikipedia it is, then?

Source

1UP is reporting that retail copies of Awakening, the expansion pack to BioWare's Dragon Age: Origins, contain a small card which drops the release date for the sequel, the inventively named Dragon Age 2: 1st February 2011.

The only little card in my copy of Awakening was an advertisement of EA Comics or something along that lines.

I may just have some chemical imbalances in my brain, but I actually prefer the clicking dialog system to the wheel. I turned against the wheel when I selected something along the lines of "*resigned sigh*", and Shepard said "I should just kill you both."

Same here. Exept that happened to me in ME1 when talking about messing with anoleis with the turian and shepard says "i sense a connection". Thats the most idiotic line ive ever seen!

Also, i dont like hearing somebody else speak what "I" say.

• 3 months later...

It's Official!

From the little info they've given, it doesn't seem the Grey Wardens will be the central aspect of the story this time. I'm a little sad, but when I think about it, it's a good thing not to hang on to them and simply repeat the story from the original.

I have to admit I'm a little worried that the sequel was announced so soon and if that release date of February 2011 is related to DA2, I can't help but feel a lot of skepticism towards the quality of the story and the length of that sequel. Hopefully my feeling will be dead wrong and DA2 will be even better than the original.

I have to admit I'm a little worried that the sequel was announced so soon
As I said earlier in this thread, DA1 was finished in 1st quarter 2009. It was merely delayed 9 or 10 months for the console ports. A 1st quarter 20011 release for DA2 is 2 years development - plenty of time.

The last expansions has an ending in which....well....sequels will be difficult. Anyway, looking forward for this!!
You mean Awakening? There's nothing in that which would preclude a sequel.

As I said earlier in this thread, DA1 was finished in 1st quarter 2009. It was merely delayed 9 or 10 months for the console ports. A 1st quarter 20011 release for DA2 is 2 years development - plenty of time.

That's assuming they started development of DA2 even before publishing DA1, which doesn't sound very cost-effective. Sequel development decisions are based on the profit gained by its predecessor, at least that sounds as the most logical course to me.

Sequel development decisions are based on the profit gained by its predecessor, at least that sounds as the most logical course to me.
Normally, I’d would say you are correct, but BioWare isn’t the normal developer. They planned Mass Effect as a trilogy and even hinted as much before the sales figures were fully known. It may be a product of the own success. So far they have been pretty successful both in sales and critically. One day that past success is liable to end up biting them in the butt when a game does not live up to what people expect from BioWare. So far, it has not happened.

Well, some of the bits of info that were released aren't very reassuring, like the fact that we'll only be able to play as a human in DA2 and that there will be no origin stories, but I'll try not to judge before they release that trailer and some additional info.

Archived