Home

Dragon Age 2

Pavlos

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Darth Payne: Puzzle solutions

Story-wise, it's a decent DLC and it's even slightly longer than Legacy. Although the reason for choosing "Mark of the Assassin" for the title escapes me even after seeing the story.

My problems with this DLC are that it comes with bugs that can cause the game to stall for around 30 seconds on occasions. Some of the side quests seem to have bugs that may or may not occur, like lootable objects becoming unlootable when you approach them. And of course, the loot itself is nothing special - you bust your ass killing a wyvern and get no valuable loot from it. Same for any other boss encounter. I can't say anything about the armor set though, since I seem to have missed the chestpiece and headwear somewhere (or perhaps that's bugged too, I don't know) - the gloves and boots are in the vault and can be picked up after you solve the puzzle in the main chamber and deactivate the flame walls.

As godawful as DLCs normally are, DA2's really set the bar a little lower.

I find myself agreeing. They have handled DA2 horribly in near on every aspect. They either need to quit Dragon Age NOW or make a hell of a better job on DA3. DA2 doesn't hold a candle to Origins.

I find myself agreeing. They have handled DA2 horribly in near on every aspect. They either need to quit Dragon Age NOW or make a hell of a better job on DA3. DA2 doesn't hold a candle to Origins.

Agreed. Dragon Age is a spiritual successor to the Baldurs Gate game series, whilst DA:2 is a medieval version of Mass Effect. It's an entirely different genre then DA:1 and it's 'hardcore rpg' predecessors.

And the DLC for DA:2 is just...another slap in the face. You can actually download new armors. Yes. New armors. That you can get from the start. Hardcore rpg-players commonly call this 'cheating.'

I do enjoy it (without dlc) for what it is though. Mindless button bashing with much gore.

but it was free...unless i'm missing something, but yes, I agree.

DA2's problems are a lot more serious than armour DLC (which Origins had as well).

Of course it has more issues. Especially the dungeon recycling is one that comes to mind. But the armor DLC is something...well...that DLC came out months after the original game, meaning the developers knew the people where blaming them for creating a buggy, simple game in an attempt to make as much money as possible.

And the first DLC you throw out there is a simple attempt to make more money.Not exactly redeeming.

A free content patch that would solve some of the realy big issues (or paid DLC that would do that) would be better.

At least all of the 'armor DLC' for Origins had it's own story, setting and quests. The King's Armor DLC even had you return to Ostagar. Quite a nice touch.

• 3 months later...

I don't have a problem with cell-shaded 3D in and of itself, if the character models are done well and, more importantly, animated well. Take a look at "Appleseed" and "Appleseed Ex Machina", if you want to see a really cool animated feature done with cell-shaded 3D graphics. On the other hand, the cell-shaded parts of "Dead Space: Aftermath" didn't look especially good, nor were the characters animated especially well. That was one animated movie I would have preferred not to use this kind of 3D graphics.

As for Dawn of the Seeker specifically, I can't say one way or the other, since this clip shows very few scenes from the actual animated movie.

I don't know about the visual style. Unlike the Mass Effect franchise, there's no set style that every entry in the series sticks to, but even so, this feels like it lacks a certain something that was present in both Origins and Dragon Age II.

And frankly they should have gotten Rainmaker (formerly known as Mainframe) to do it.

Apparently DA3 will draw inspiration from Skyrim as I read a Bioware tweet by the devs, they will also combine the strengths of DA:O and DA2.

I'm playing through my 2nd time and unlike DA:O I'm quite bored with it...it just seems like the devs couldn't be bothered with most of it. Whether it be level design, character development or even romance options it all just feels so lazy.

I just hope they pull it back because I adore DA:O and the whole universe they created.

Apparently DA3 will draw inspiration from Skyrim as I read a Bioware tweet by the devs, they will also combine the strengths of DA:O and DA2.

DA2 had strong points?

I too hope they go back to the DAO feel; including graphics and why not gameplay. Actually, they may work on the combat a bit, but DA2's is not really the way to go.

I too hope they go back to the DAO feel; including graphics and why not gameplay. Actually, they may work on the combat a bit, but DA2's is not really the way to go.

I always thought Dragon Age: Origins' graphics were awesome, and fit the game perfectly, which seemed to be an unpopular opinion. DA:O is proof that superawesomeamazingtacular graphics isn't everything. The combat, although it needs to have a slight rework, was also awesome in DA:O. DA2 was a total rushed shambles for me. I've played it twice, whereas I put over 200/300 hours gameplay (according to my stats) on DA:O while I was getting all the trophies on my PS3. And I'm doing the same on my 360 now.

In terms of it being like Skyrim, it could go well if they do it right, but only time will tell.

DA2 was okay... Never completed a playthrough though... I always thought that the Elves were poorly done in DA2, but I did notice that for some reason, I was slightly enjoying my second playthrough more which was odd. Also, for that movie thing up a couple of posts, I don't really like the celshaded 3d looks "cheap" or "unprofessional" to me. That's my 2 cents at least.

• 2 months later...

Finished playing it yesterday.

I never finished Origins. The story made me cringe every two minutes, I hated every single character except Zevran, the dungeons seem to stretch on boringly and the combat was unpredictably hard (which isn't too bad in itself). There was buffing and poisons and all that stuff that I never really get in RPGs.

Dragon Age 2 I *loved* however. Combat is fast and active while still being traditional RPG, I loved every single companion member and many of the non-companions, the writing was excellent, the difficulty was perhaps a bit on the easy side but some of the boss battles were very memorable (Varterral, High Dragon, Duke Prosper, Corypheus). Dialogue wheel was handled rather well, even if there were 2-3 instances where Hawke came off differently than I expected.

I really had a fun time with this game. It's my second-favourite BioWare game after KotOR now (not having played JE or BG).

Finished playing it yesterday.

I never finished Origins. The story made me cringe every two minutes, I hated every single character except Zevran, the dungeons seem to stretch on boringly and the combat was unpredictably hard (which isn't too bad in itself). There was buffing and poisons and all that stuff that I never really get in RPGs.

Dragon Age 2 I *loved* however. Combat is fast and active while still being traditional RPG, I loved every single companion member and many of the non-companions, the writing was excellent, the difficulty was perhaps a bit on the easy side but some of the boss battles were very memorable (Varterral, High Dragon, Duke Prosper, Corypheus). Dialogue wheel was handled rather well, even if there were 2-3 instances where Hawke came off differently than I expected.

I really had a fun time with this game. It's my second-favourite BioWare game after KotOR now (not having played JE or BG).

This mini review pleases me. I find that my lurking of the BioWare forums has started to depress me a little.

However, I have to say I preferred DA:O on a story level, and DA2 on the Combat side of things.

Archived