Home

UK General Election 2010

Astor

Fair point' date=' however, since whoever wins will probably do so narowly, selling the abolition of FPTP to Labor is going to be hellish as it's elections like theese where the FPTP system can lead to a Labor win.[/quote']

The Labour party have said that there will be a referendum on electoral reform after the election. They're proposing a change to the alternative vote system, which is better than nothing, I suppose. Whether or not it happens is another matter.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And the winner is... Nick Clegg, by a wide margin.

I don't see why it is as surprising as some are claiming, though - many had said that the third party would benefit greatly from this equal footing. They had little to lose and much to gain from such a debate.

Cameron should have been a lot more forceful with Brown - especially when he talked about fixing existing systems - why no 'you've had 13 years to do that already, so why now?' ? I think that being on the center podium also damaged his chances somewhat, as at times it looked like he was caught in a crossfire between Clegg and Brown.

All three did make good points, and Brown even managed to make a joke. About Lord Ashcroft (so plant-like it's almost a tree). :¬:

Brown's constant stream of 'I agree with Nick' was ridiculous, especially when Clegg rounded on him.

The next two are going to be much more interesting. People are going to be paying far more attention to Clegg and the Liberal Democrats now, and I don't think he'll get as much of an easy ride in them.

I though Clegg was impressive and Brown was more convincing than Cameron. Brown was definitely angling for future pacts in a hung parliament with the Lib Dems though he did perhaps over-do it. I thought that Clegg came across as occasionally too 'me against the world' and at a few points just sounded whiny. He did make some good points though and to be fair had a lot of ammunition to work with.

It's said that Beau Nash agreed with Nick Clegg no less than five times yesterday.

A milkmaid in Somerset saw five cows mooing the words, and 'tis said that three times did the monuments of the yard at Shrewsbury rise up and release their horrid charge, whose scaly arms and shotten heads cried out to Moon and Carriage that Nick was right: the words "I agree" on their nicked and shrunken lips.

I also saw a mudcrab the other day.

Oh, Call Me Dave turned the first ten minutes of the election debate into an anecdote competition with some terribly contrived story about meeting "A spot-welder" who supports the Conservatives or something.

Personally, I agree with Nick.

"Last week, I met a Scottish sort in Westminster who told me that he agreed with Nick."

Vote? We don't let your kind vote - you'll have to stand for parliament with the rest of the robotic whores.

Damn you Metalliphallus®, Damn you to Hell!

Last week, I met a Polish policeman, who told me that teenagers high on meow meow had been shouting at buses on the high street."

what is meow meow

4-methylmethcathinone, aka MCAT, hence the "Meow", legal amphetamine, well soon to be illegal, some of the lowlifes in my area like to sniff on that tihs.

Oh, Call Me Dave turned the first ten minutes of the election debate into an anecdote competition with some terribly contrived story about meeting "A spot-welder" who supports the Conservatives or something.

I believe it was a man in Portsmouth who told him about something. But it was the way he said it -

Last week I met a black man

That was quite a surprise, and it did sound a little snobbish.

Although I do think the media frenzy around Nick Clegg is getting ridiculous. However true it might be, I never expected to see 'Clegg as popular as Churchill' on the front page of the Sunday Times.

As for the Digital Economy bill, I have to say I agree with Nick. :D

picture.php?albumid=100&pictureid=6334

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just cast my vote for the Liberal Democrats. Unfortunately, they don't stand a hope in Hell of taking this seat but the goal is to up their share of the national vote, making the case for electoral reform that much stronger.

In other news, it turns out that the New York Times has a rather skewed view of our democracy:

Clicky

In a general election as impossible to predict as the one here on Thursday, with many constituencies in the balance and a large chance of a hung Parliament, any pressing issue may swing the vote of the undecided. One of these issues is dance.

[...]

Ms. Miller is careful not to urge the cause of any one party. “We simply want dance to be recognized as an issue.”

Makes satire superfluous, doesn't it?

I shall be casting my vote in the next two hours or so, attempting to end 18 years of Labour in my area, and hopefully the country.

If Brown is PM tomorrow i'll be both saddened and amazed.

I went Labour tactically, though to be honest the whole tactical voting thing makes me a feel a little dirty. Hopefully enough pressure can be brought to bear on whoever wins to introduce PR. Hopefully then we can actually vote for who we believe in which in my case would be the Greens. This is also one (of many) reasons why voting Tory would be a disaster - they are the only party of the main three that has made no commitment to introducing PR. Oh, and they're scum. Nearly forgot that bit.

@Totenkopf: that 'gaffe' was a ridiculous bit of the media making a story out of absolutely nothing. She was bigoted, and it would have been worse if he had shrugged it of - betraying a lack of principle - or even worse if he had agreed because what she was spouting was the worst xenophobic paranoid crap that most people who vote BNP use to justify themselves.

I voted at a quarter past 10 this morning - for the first time that it actually matters on a national scale.

I'm hoping to see some indication of a swing away from the extreme parties here - but on a larger scale of course a shiny new government tomorrow. :xp:

If I were living in the U.K, and if I were over 18, (Sorry, I dunno what age you have to be in order to vote there) I'd most likely vote for Nick Clegg of the Liberal Democrats.

David Cameron is "too" Conservative, (meaning, that he'll remove a couple of Beneficial changes to Britain, and will take the UK all the way back to the 80's) and Gordon Brown has issues that the British people already knows about.

If I were living in the U.K, and if I were over 18, (Sorry, I dunno what age you have to be in order to vote there) I'd most likely vote for Nick Clegg of the Liberal Democrats.

David Cameron is "too" Conservative, (meaning, that he'll remove a couple of Beneficial changes to Britain, and will take the UK all the way back to the 80's) and Gordon Brown has issues that the British people already knows about.

^I'd do the same thing.

Archived