• Okay
    • Crap
    • Yoda!

lucascast_threadtitle.png

Release date: 12th April 2010

Download page: http://www.lucascast.com

Summary:

Games we played

Darth Groovy--God of War, Battlefront Elite Squadron, Dante's Inferno, Raiden series

acdcfanbill--Dragon Age: Origins, Jedi Academy

Jae Onasi--Star Trek Online, started a bit of Pokemon HeartGold

Topics discussed

Monkey Island 2 Special Edition: LeChuck's Revenge announced!

Assassin's Creed 2 server problems

There was a casting call for COD 7

Alpha Protocol set to release late May/early June

More news on the ex-IW devs' lawsuit

Alien vs. Predator's first DLC is a 4-map multi-player pack

FF XIV beta has started

Battlestar Galactica fans take note!. There's going to be a BG MMO.

Cing, makers of Hotel Dusk, have filed for bankruptcy. (courtesy of Lynk)

Tor will be EA's biggest development project ever.(courtesy of leXX)

Magicka trailer released (must-see, link courtesy of Sabretooth) (trailer is also on the official site.)

According to a Kotaku article, some Star Wars files were found on Games for Windows Live, leading to speculation about a possible Star Wars Arcade game on Xbox (courtesy of leXX)

The good and bad about Raven Software

After April 6th, flash drives up to 16GB can be used with the Xbox 360 (courtesy of leXX)

GDC news (courtesy of leXX):

2010 Game Developer Choice Awards

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Game Of The Year

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (Naughty Dog)

Dragon Age: Origins (BioWare)

Batman: Arkham Asylum (Rocksteady Studios)

Demon's Souls (From Software)

Assassin's Creed II (Ubisoft Montreal)

Best Game Design

Flower (Thatgamecompany)

Plants Vs. Zombies (PopCap)

Best Visual Art

Borderlands (Gearbox Software)

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Infinity Ward)

Flower (Thatgamecompany)

Best Technology

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Infinity Ward)

Red Faction: Guerrilla (Volition)

Killzone 2 (Guerrilla Games)

Best Writing

Brutal Legend (Double Fine Productions)

Halo 3: ODST (Bungie)

Best Audio

Rock Band: The Beatles (Harmonix)

Flower (Thatgamecompany)

Brutal Legend (Double Fine Productions)

Innovation

Scribblenauts (5th Cell)

Flower (Thatgamecompany)

Demon's Souls (From Software)

Best Debut

Torchlight (Runic Games)

The Maw (Twisted Pixel)

League Of Legends (Riot Games)

Spider: The Secret Of Bryce Manor (Tiger Style)

Zeno Clash (ACE Team)

Best Downloadable Game

Flower (Thatgamecompany)

Trials HD (RedLynx)

PixelJunk Shooter (Q Games)

Shadow Complex (Chair Entertainment)

Best New Social/Online Game

Farmville (Zynga)

Restaurant City (Playfish)

Dungeon Fighter Online (Neople/Nexon)

Free Realms (Sony Online Entertainment San Diego)

Bejeweled Blitz (PopCap)

Best Handheld Game

Scribblenauts (5th Cell)

Flight Control (Firemint)

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars (Rockstar Leeds/Rockstar North)

Spider: The Secret Of Bryce Manor (Tiger Style)

Legend Of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo EAD)

Special Honors

Lifetime Achievement Award: John Carmack

Pioneer Award: Gabe Newell

Ambassador Award: Penny Arcade Trio

Comments from our listeners! Astrotoy7, BokkenBlader56

Poll on LucasArts competitive multiplayer games

Blooper!

Special thanks to Scar da Kookee for helping me with some editing and noise reduction issues. We couldn't get it all perfect, but we've got it going as good as we can given the limitations that Skype presents us. :)

You guys did a good job holding it down with only 2... but I personally missed all the messy group interaction.

Much more actual content covered... but with less personalities, I found my attention wandering a bit more than when listening to the other 'casts.

Good for what it was... but not great. An 'A' for effort, however.

Groovy...did you call me Broken Bladder?

As for FFXIV, those games just aren't what they should be on anything better than 8-bit. I sincerely hope that they stop at XV, because if they don't, XVI will be an attempt to impose world government. I'm pretty sure.

If you take a look into the acidic depths of the Battlefront section, you'll see that most of us were a bit pissy about the lack of a new Battlefront on any decent console...and the fact that it still wasn't Battlefront III. The character models looked so dinky. They actually looked worse than the models in Battlefront II.

Surprisingly, I thought that this episode was astronomically better than the others, even with the limited cast. Hm, maybe that's saying something... ;)

Alpha Protocol coverage must be better. BETTER. The core elements have been understood for a year now, if not more, so hopefully, there's a more, uh, comprehensive preview next time, as well as a followup review when it's actually released. And it must receive enough attention as Mass Effect. o_Q

Abalone:

AbaloneOutside.jpg

Surprisingly, I thought that this episode was astronomically better than the others, even with the limited cast. Hm, maybe that's saying something... ;)

Alpha Protocol coverage must be better. BETTER. The core elements have been understood for a year now, if not more, so hopefully, there's a more, uh, comprehensive preview next time, as well as a followup review when it's actually released. And it must receive enough attention as Mass Effect. o_Q

I'd love to give it a better review, but we're not getting a lot to work with here. How many articles about AP have you seen lately in comparison to what was released about ME2 3 months before its expected release date? AP's is paltry in comparison.

I'd love to give it a better review, but we're not getting a lot to work with here. How many articles about AP have you seen lately in comparison to what was released about ME2 3 months before its expected release date? AP's is paltry in comparison.
Since February, there's been a deluge, though it doesn't come close in comparison with Mass Effect's marketing behemoth, but that's more or less Sega's fault than anything else. Most of the information in recent articles has inherently contained the same core information that was seen in 2009, though with more supplements, so it's not like we've been left in the virtual dark; far from it, really, and that just scratches the surface. Really, there's no good reason not to be informed considering how the long the game has been in the press.

Right, but saying the same thing over and over isn't interesting, and it's not like we can talk about 'cool screenshots' in an audio format. :) Also, you might be interested in the intricacies of Avellone's story building theories, but that's not exactly compelling podcast material for an average listener. You skew the curve, my dear.

Kudos to Billy and Groovy for plowing ahead despite the reduced cast - and great work to Jae cutting it all together :)

With a reduced cast, of course some of the banter was gone, but what you were left with was quality - as Bill and Groovy are essentially the down to earth members of the Group. There is no way any other 2 members of the cast could have put together something that didn't go for 2 minutes without becoming a weirdfest or lengthy discussion about mens' buttocks (points at Jae) :D

I loved hearing about how Rhett was leeching subway wifi to be part of the podcasts he was in :) Even when he's just going about his business the guy is a hoot!

come back Rhettski :D \o/

Looking forward to getting Lexxy and Jae back into the mix for the next ep.

@Groovy Re:-pc gaming. New standards in directx11 (only found in vista/win7) ensure that devs are much clearer on the graphical capabilities of the range of cards on the market. Before DX11, some aspects of performance were at the mercy of interaction between CPU/Game/GPU. This has been changed quite markedly from what existed in XP/DX9, so the massive variation in hardware standards that predisposed games to software glitches is something that is most definitely improved upon in DX11.

The massive uptake of windows7(as evidenced on steam among other sources) is a great step forward to ensuring these standards are met by both hardware manufacturers and software devs.

XPs mainstream support cycle actually ended in 2009, but you will get security related fixes etc until 2014. Hence, when more people actually shift to a DX11 platform and hardware, streamlining the standards will be even easier to achieve.

For those with DX 10/11 cards(in Vista/Win7) , make sure you have the latest GPU drivers and the DirectX February 2010 updates to keep your GPU purring along nicely. This update will actually upgrade DX10 in Vista to DX11, but no such effect occurs on XP for many reasons which I won't go into here.

more info at techforum if anyone needs it :)

mtfbwya

Kudos to Billy and Groovy for plowing ahead despite the reduced cast - and great work to Jae cutting it all together :)

With a reduced cast, of course some of the banter was gone, but what you were left with was quality - as Bill and Groovy are essentially the down to earth members of the Group. There is no way any other 2 members of the cast could have put together something that didn't go for 2 minutes without becoming a weirdfest or lengthy discussion about mens' buttocks (points at Jae) :D

I loved hearing about how Rhett was leeching subway wifi to be part of the podcasts he was in :) Even when he's just going about his business the guy is a hoot!

come back Rhettski :D \o/

Looking forward to getting Lexxy and Jae back into the mix for the next ep.

@Groovy Re:-pc gaming. New standards in directx11 (only found in vista/win7) ensure that devs are much clearer on the graphical capabilities of the range of cards on the market. Before DX11, some aspects of performance were at the mercy of interaction between CPU/Game/GPU. This has been changed quite markedly from what existed in XP/DX9, so the massive variation in hardware standards that predisposed games to software glitches is something that is most definitely improved upon in DX11.

The massive uptake of windows7(as evidenced on steam among other sources) is a great step forward to ensuring these standards are met by both hardware manufacturers and software devs.

XPs mainstream support cycle actually ended in 2009, but you will get security related fixes etc until 2014. Hence, when more people actually shift to a DX11 platform and hardware, streamlining the standards will be even easier to achieve.

For those with DX 10/11 cards(in Vista/Win7) , make sure you have the latest GPU drivers and the DirectX February 2010 updates to keep your GPU purring along nicely. This update will actually upgrade DX10 in Vista to DX11, but no such effect occurs on XP for many reasons which I won't go into here.

more info at techforum if anyone needs it :)

mtfbwya

Rhett wants to come back, and he WILL be back at some point!

Astro, thanks for the warm compliments, I was terrified that this podcast would be a disaster. As we are coming up on our 20th podcast, I have to say that I feel more comfortable in my group setting. After listening though, it came together surprisingly well, thanks in part to Jae for recording and editing the whole damn thing by herself. Even the audio quality was improved.

Thanks for the inside info on the pc game market. I will be sure an address this on our next cast which will be recorded tomorrow, and posted next Monday as usual. leXX and Jae will be back on the cast for the next one.

Also as I mentioned before, Lynk Former and Jeff will be guests on our special E-3 podcast.

Rhett wants to come back, and he WILL be back at some point!

Great News! :thmbup1: Any news on SWPhreak - or do we need to keep spamming his PMS? :p

Thanks for the inside info on the pc game market. I will be sure an address this on our next cast which will be recorded tomorrow, and posted next Monday as usual.

Also as I mentioned before, Lynk Former and Jeff will be guests on our special E-3 podcast.

Nice :) Both are so well informed, they add a touch of professionalism and class that is great to listen to. (ie. zero blood sausage risk)

Also, it's good to have Lynky represent his fellow Ozstralian LFNers ;)

Fig.1. Actual Picture: My Pet Kangaroo Bazza, chillin' out listening to LucasCast and sippin' on some Crown Lager ;)

kangaroo.png

mtfbwya

another gr8 podcast guys - well done.

Offtopic

Jae - U have spoke a lot about rock band games in some of the casts and say its good to play with your kids and stuff, but is there a way to only use one instrument for single player? no matter which one it is?

After listening though, it came together surprisingly well, thanks in part to Jae for recording and editing the whole damn thing by herself. Even the audio quality was improved.

Kudos to Kookee on the audio quality--he did some kind of filtering that reduced the noise, and helped me get the cast out faster, too.

The quality may also have to do with the fact that we only had 3 people in skype instead of our normal 6 or more. That may also have had an impact. I think there's likely a limit to what Skype can do quality-wise once the number of callers is above a certain mark.

Offtopic

Jae - U have spoke a lot about rock band games in some of the casts and say its good to play with your kids and stuff, but is there a way to only use one instrument for single player? no matter which one it is?

Oh, sure--you can play it with 1 to 4 people--vocalist, guitar, bass, or drums (or 6 in Beatles RB--3 singers, guitarist, bassist, and drummer). You don't have to have 4 people to play. In fact, I usually sing when the kids aren't home because I can sing on expert and gold star a lot of the songs. Since none of us can play expert on guitar/bass/drums yet, that's the only way we can gold star a song at this point.

copyin from ahto - discuss the books you have been reading and the music you have been into lately..

for me..its all about jammin ozzy osbourne and reading night of the dragon

EDIT - Roflmao wtf? i was in the topic suggestion thread and posted in that thread O.o

I'll move this in awhile, but in the meantime, I want stoffe or s-island to take a look at it before it's moved to try and figure out why it ended up in this thread instead of the one you thought you were posting in. If I move it, it might mess up their ability to figure out what happened, so I'll hold off til they're done researching it.

Archived