Home

Skyrim: Elder Scrolls 5

Nedak

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- If you drop a weapon, there's a chance it might lie there, or a young boy might pick it up and return it to you, or two burly men might try to fight over it.

I saw a mudcrab recently.

- Sabre – I did not read where the PC is a prisoner for some undefined crime. Who is either pardon or escapes, yet no one seems to care.

Lol.

Woah woah woah, there's still level scaling?! SOMEBODY TALK ME DOWN OFF THIS LEDGE. :hor:

How about pushing you down the ledge? It's not just level scaling but generic dungeons too! (ok, I'm jumping too! :argh: aaaaaah! )

The game will tailor to how you have played. If a woman asks you to save her daughter from kidnappers, the quest will be set in a dungeon the game knows you haven't explored.

ok, now, the essential question which may make me regret that the ledge was only a few feet high: will there be modding tools to get around this, especially around level scaling?

I hate leveled loot, especially when all the poor of the Empire suddenly become the rich of the empire and start wearing Daedric armor all at the same time because I have become stronger and/or wiser. It's just an easy way to save time and get away with thinking: instead of carefully planning the location of loot, you just attach a different script to a few dozens of chests/npcs to upgrade the loot...and tadaam! Ohhh! Daedric armor and weapons everywhere! - at least in Oblivion you had an invasion that could have allowed you, with a lot of imagination, to think every thief and bandit in the Empire to loot and salvage such armor and weapons. :rolleyes:

- A "redesigned" engine. Probably a reworking of the Gamebryo one?

- A redesigned interface...

- Level-scaling is fun!

Is it too much to dream of some balance between unique, well placed, random and leveled loot/enemies? :fist:

Apparently, Sandbox and random leveled critters do not match.

Yeah, beating an epic boss in full plated armor is cool....being beaten by a dog protecting his puppy's afterwards isn't. Bah.

Still sounds cool though...I got my hands on Oblivion 3 days prior to the release...everyone spamming my x-fire...ah. Good times. Good games. Morrowind too by the way. Nice expansion packs that one had :)

• 1 month later...
Thanks to acdcfanbill for sharing this in that evil entity known as skype.

Thanks for posting this...but...but it does not answer some essential questions:

1. Will I start as a prisoner?

2. Will there will be giant rats?

3. If the answer to 2. is yes, will the rats be able to kill me when I'm level 20+?

4. Will the Mages guild find out that their new Archmage is a thief who stole from them not two days ago, a vampire and an assassin who can barely cast a spell?

5. Will I hear dialogs along the lines of:

"Would you like to hear something interesting?"

"Of course!"

"Bye!"

Oh well, if that's not the case, at least it's been confirmed that there will be modding tools :p

"There can only be one"

Noticed that too, but don't you have to cut off their heads?

Warts and all I loved Oblivion and then Morrowind (played in wrong order, but played both thanks thanks to stoffe and ChAiNz for Oblivion and Achilles and Rhett for Morrowind). This and ME3 are my most anticipated games to 2011. Just not really sure which one I’m looking more forward too...

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
ME3 who am I kidding, but Skyrim isn’t that far behind.

I can't help but feel that video was unintentionally hilarious. The bit with the scream kick-starting the signature tune was a tad... camp.

Oh, and, D3, you know there'll be giant rats as sure as there'll be gratuitous violence in a Greek Tragedy, or fields in Tolkien, or the theatre of cruelty in Hugo: it's the trademark.

Thanks for posting this...but...but it does not answer some essential questions:

1. Will I start as a prisoner?

2. Will there will be giant rats?

If either of these are not true.. then it's not an ES game :carms:

I'll be holding on to my receipt until I make sure that although I am obviously in prison for not being a "nice" guy.. I will actually give 2 sharts about Skyrim to go traipsing around and saving it's arse :xp:

Yeah, who am I kidding.. I foresee yet another year+ of my life being sacrificed to Bethesda :fist: then of course, BioWare will get it's turn (ME3) to have it's way with me :indif:

Warts and all I loved Oblivion and then Morrowind ...
Me too ;)

If either of these are not true.. then it's not an ES game
I just want to make sure it really is an ES game :xp: However, I do hope that "Radiant AI" which has apparently now evolve into "Radiant Story" wont be reminiscent of the dumb Oblivion dialogs...

Yeah, who am I kidding.. I foresee yet another year+ of my life being sacrificed to Bethesda :fist: then of course, BioWare will get it's turn (ME3) to have it's way with me :indif:

It will be a horrible year indeed, except I will likely not have the time to try more than two of these: I'm interested in playing Deus Ex, DA2, Shogun 2, Witcher 2, TES 5, ME3...I'd probably want to take a look at LA Noire as well and I am sure I am forgetting a few other games :nutz3: ...and I still have to play Fallout New Vegas: it's sitting on my desk as I've had no time to play it yet...the only game I've been able to play in 2010 was ME2.

Anyway, I've already noted down in my agenda that on the 14 and 15th of November I'll be vacationing in Skyrim :p

• 1 month later...

G4 just released a 2-part preview of gameplay, redone leveling stats/mechanics, new streaming draw engine, combat, creation kit & Todd Howard interview.

Some serious stuff going down on 11.11.11 ;)

http://www.g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/64714/the-elder-scrolls-5-skyrim/articles/74266/the-elder-scrolls-5-first-look-preview-part-1-welcome-to-skyrim/

Part 2 covers town economies, quests, inventory, and dragons.

http://www.g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/64714/the-elder-scrolls-5-skyrim/articles/74285/the-elder-scrolls-5-first-look-preview-part-2-trouble-in-riverwood-questing-and-dragons/

For those that don't want to read (but you should. REALLY.)

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

The game starts out with you being led to your execution for reasons unknown, and it’s up to you to fill in the blanks.
And thus is the main question is answered.

Moving right moves your head right, since that’s where your weapons and useable items are held. When you bring up your inventory, you’re able to flip and rotate each item using the thumbsticks, which, as Howard says, makes finding a new item, “joyful on a visual level and not just, ‘Oh, this is a plus one.’”

“It’s not just an item with a number. You can look at all the items. They’re all fully modeled in 3D. You can zoom in. How is this thing made? What culture is this from?” Howard demonstrates this by bringing up a highly detailed shield and turning it over in space to show off its leather bindings, etchings, and contours.

As much as it looks superficial, I love this. Something I missed quite a lot in games such as Mass Effect and Dragon Age 2 was having some background on my items. It seems that the more the graphics advance, the less we have on these terms. Minimum is maximum.

BTW, the menu via D-pad looks to be completely optimized for consoles. Hope this is not a bad thing for PC players.

We run into a woman on the edge of town who makes a comment about a local shopkeeper who was robbed recently. A message appears telling us we now have a miscellaneous objective to talk to the shopkeeper. These types of objectives aren’t as robust as full quests, but they can lead to much more substantial quests depending on the circumstances surrounding them. This is one of the key components of the game’s radiant story system, as it will push you towards quests and locations according to your actions and progress in the game.
Eagerly waiting for a "look for the stray mudcrab" quest...

BTW, the menu via D-pad looks to be completely optimized for consoles. Hope this is not a bad thing for PC players

Same here. Though I am a big fan of my xbox.. Skyrim will be played on both pc/xbox platforms in my house (xbox keeps me honest. No cheats/mods :lol: )

PC could always use the arrow directional keys, or good old fashioned TAB / ESC. I'm pretty sure it will be one of the first 10 (non nekkid/bouncy/dangly bits) mods made for the game :xp:

Why would you ever play a Bethesda game without mods? That just sounds like a really unpleasant experience.

Because the game(s) can stand on itself and I like to play them (first) on how they were intended to perhaps?

Seriously.. out of the tons of mods on Nexus.. how many are actually 'needed'. The absence of pixel pr0n and one-shot weapons in vanilla aren't necessarily game breaking :xp:

Same here. Though I am a big fan of my xbox.. Skyrim will be played on both pc/xbox platforms in my house (xbox keeps me honest. No cheats/mods :lol: )
I will do the same thing. Already did it with Oblivion and Fallout 3. Morrowind is the only game I only bought for the PC and I never played it without mods (That is, if you don’t count Fallout:NV, which I don’t).

out of the tons of mods on Nexus.. how many are actually 'needed'.
36?

I loved Fallout 3 and especially Oblivion on the 360, but I can seriously say some face mods were needed. I believe I have between 50 and 75 mods loaded for Oblivion on the PC. If I were to go home and play Oblivion right now I’m pretty sure I’m setting down at the PC and not the 360.

The absence of pixel pr0n and one-shot weapons in vanilla aren't necessarily game breaking :xp:
True, but better looking heads/faces that have a lower poly count and streamlined GUIs/inventory management is nice. Not everyone that likes mods does so for the reasons provided above.

EDIT: Speaking of game-breaking, many mods are there to fix errors that exist in the vanilla game.

Archived