Home

XWA One Year Thread, Part VI, Return of the Bottle Deposit

Kuuki

That's what I was doing when I saw you pop up on XBox Live! last night, Keyan... otherwise, I would have said "Hi!"

Looks like you've found someone to rock the Portal 2 Co-Op with, however...

How is it? I played a bit on split-screen one night... helping out the GF's kids when they got stuck.

Seems like GLaDOS has some kind of sinister plan as well... finding hidden system disks...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's what I was doing when I saw you pop up on XBox Live! last night, Keyan... otherwise, I would have said "Hi!"

Yeah, I saw you on there. Did you manage to finish the last race, then?

Looks like you've found someone to rock the Portal 2 Co-Op with, however...

It seemed like you were going to be too busy to play through it for a while, so I started playing it split-screen with my sister. Even though my sister sucks at video games and has never played Portal before, it's actually worked pretty well, though.

How is it? I played a bit on split-screen one night... helping out the GF's kids when they got stuck.

It's freaking awesome. Most fun I've had with multiplayer in the last ten years. Portal 2 was my game of the year when I had just played the single player, and the co-op pretty much doubles the greatness from there. I really had doubts that they could make a co-op mode that wasn't either way too easy or way too hard, but they really did a perfect job. It's just enough to make you think and stump you sometimes without frustrating you.

Seems like GLaDOS has some kind of sinister plan as well... finding hidden system disks...

Yeah, there hasn't been as much story as in the single player, but GLaDOS is definitely doing her thing. I just don't trust her for some reason...

No... I haven't had time to tackle the last race yet. :(

So close, yet...

It's amazing how busy you get in a relationship... And when 2 of the people in your department at work leave (1 took another job, 1 out on maternity...) at a busy time of the year, leaving me to do most of the shows, meetings, and maintainence myself.

Video games have stopped being a priority, unfortunately.

I still try to find time now and then when I can... But it hasn't been easy.

I am a giant ball of stress today.

Work has been (and continues to be, and will continue to be for the foreseeable future...) a perfect storm of suck.

In addition to being 3 managers down now (another one had to take the rest of the week off for emergency surgery...) I was down 4 crew for tonight's concert... which is complicated enough that it should at least have 5 (preferably 6...) crew, and 2 managers... but all I have is me and 2 crew.

:dozey:

Not a good day.

I got about as domestic as I ever get today. For reasons that I will reveal in due time (though you may guess after reading this), I tackled cleaning up around my TV today. My DVDs had been on the floor, with a pile of old computer parts next to it. On my TV stand, I had an NES that no longer works, and a bunch of old 3.5" floppy disks on a shelf, so I cleared out that shelf and put my DVDs on it, tossing most of the now-obsolete computer parts along with the NES and floppies. This created a nice space along the wall next to my TV, which I intend to put to use soon. ;)

@Wildstar your getting a bigger TV?

The Polls have closed for the the Republican recall elections in WIsconsin. I really don't trust the Elections anymore especially after the last State Supreme court Election fiasco in Waukesha.

Find out what happened after I go to bed. To nerve racking to see the results as they come in

well in case you havn't heard the Republicans in Wisconsin lost two seats to Democrats. That puts the Senate at 17 Rep and 16 Dems. The king maker now is a more moderate Republican Dave Shultz who will likely be able to stop the runaway train that has become the Wisconsin Government

Had a day off yesterday.

Squandered it.

:dozey:

Granted... after the week I had I was a basket case... so a day of doing nothing was probably exactly what I needed for my sanity.

I did finish first in the last race in Forza 3. 100% Achievements unlocked! Yay me!

Now what do I do with my life?

Oh well... bring on Forza 4, I guess...

:joy:

The TV project is close to being hopefully complete. The TV was delivered on Thursday, and a Blu-ray/VHS combo player arrived today. Tomorrow, it's a trip to Ikea with my BFF for a new TV stand, which I'll save money on because there's a sales tax holiday this weekend in MA. Hopefully, everything should be set up and working by tomorrow evening, and I'll be sure to get a photo of the new setup. :)

I got the combo player as a space saver, but what worries me is that some Blu-ray disks won't play in this player b/c the firmware can't be updated. I had the Star Wars saga box set in mind when I got it, and if it doesn't play in this player, I may just get a "real" Blu-ray player for Blu-ray disks later and use the combo player for everything else.

Had a day off yesterday.

Oh well... bring on Forza 4, I guess...

So if Forza 4 has a stupidly hard or time-consuming achievement, like logging three solid years of play time, will you just say "screw it?"

I eventually had to just forget about achievements because usually they weren't fun and were a huge waste of time. My completionist nature compelled me to try to get them all at first, but it was just not enough fun for the time I put into it. Overall, I think the achievement system is a failure. Most of the time achievements are things you either get automatically for progressing through the game or things that take too much time and aren't that fun anyway. A few games have done them well and it has increased the fun, but often it seems little thought is put into them. I think they should be managed by the game itself if they are there, and not part of the overall Xbox Live system or whatever. Maybe I'm just old, but I feel like there's a lot of pointless crap in games these days.

there should be some stupid silly achievments. Like hitting every other opponent in the race. Driving backwards. Number of spinouts. Riding the wall for an entire lap. Taking out every breakable barrier.

Camping this weekend with my wife. It rained all morning, and yesterday when I left the water on the other side of the river b.c i couldn't carry it on the Kayak. When i came back 2/3 of it was empty leaving only a gallon of water. Kayaked back and put some soggy clothing into the washer/dryer as well as taking care of the cat

I've been active on a FB group about anything and everything about my hometown. There's a wall thread going on with the general idea of "You know you're from Brockton if...", and here are a couple that I contributed:

...you refer to north and south as Montello and Campello.

...you ever thought that the Village People were Lithuanian.

So if Forza 4 has a stupidly hard or time-consuming achievement, like logging three solid years of play time, will you just say "screw it?"
Probably.

I'm glad I did it, however. I said I was going to when I got the game, and I stuck with it.

It was hardly solid play, though... had I stuck with it solid, I probably could have completed it in a couple of months,.. at most. There were a lot of breaks... some of them months long.

And I've played a lot of other games in the meantime.

But, I probably wouldn't have kept with it as long as I did, goal or not, if I didn't actually enjoy the challenge of it. I wanted to do it with one XBox game since I got the system... and once I realized I actually had the skills to actually do it on this one, it became my gaming goal.

In fact... I'm thinking of logging a few more hours on it to try to get a fast, clean lap in every class car on every track... just to know I've gotten everything out of this game that I can. And get my name higher up on the leaderboards than it already is... :D

there should be some stupid silly achievments. Like hitting every other opponent in the race. Driving backwards. Number of spinouts. Riding the wall for an entire lap. Taking out every breakable barrier.
A lot of racing games have those. The DiRT series has a lot of achievements like that, actually.

But I liked the Forza 3 list simply because they were almost all reachable just by trying to play the game properly. Nothing too outrageous.

Here it is:

NewTVsetup.jpg

The new stand had a shelf for inside the unit, but I did without it to maximize vertical space inside. If you can imagine the unit on the right with a stack with my old tube TV, my old VCR, my old DVD player, my stereo, and my cable box (bottom to top), that was what my old setup looked like.

Hopefully, I'll be calling the cable company after this about upgrading the box (which will have a DVR).

A future project will be to gather together an audio system so I can really enjoy Star Wars on my new TV. I will also be adding an HD Radio tuner to it, which should make the stereo you saw in the photo, along w/ a boombox which sits on a window sill in the dining area that I use for AM, completely obsolete to me (I found a Sony HD tuner w/ AM).

The thing is, however, it would be hard to locate the rear speakers on a 5.1 rig in my apartment, so I may have to settle for just 2.1. :dozey:

Went on a Kayak/camping trip with my new wife last weekend. Problem was my wife wasn't a strong paddler and couldn't steer her Kayak in or against the Mississippi current. After i towed the Kayak to our campsite she tried swimming, then walking, and instead got a lift from some other campers.

Saturday morning we awoke to rain. and she had a call of nature. I now have this image in my head of her running out in the rain naked except for a rain poncho.

She got ill and went to the doctor. Poisin Ivy rash and some crap she got form accidentally drinking the mississippi

Might make it into a good movie.

It was neat the area we camped at was a little bay that had a whirlpool effect. I could float around and just go round and round in the water. Of course *I* did drink the water and had a life vest on

Archived