Home

Obsidian 'would love' to make Knights of the Old Republic III

Taak Farst

Source

While BioWare and EA might see Star Wars: The Old Republic as the follow-up to Obsidian Entertainment’s Knights of the Old Republic series, some inside the developer might have other ideas.

In response to a comment posted on Twitter today by a fan asking for a Knights of the Old Republic 3, the official Obsidian account replied:

“Ohhh we would so love to!!! ”

At one point back in 2003, work on a third KOTOR game was actually taking place. However, due to cuts at LucasArts, the project was cancelled in 2004. With the mixed reaction that’s out there about BioWare’s The Old Republic MMORPG, who knows—maybe one day we could go back to the single-player adventures of Knights of the Old Republic.

It would be better if it said "is making Knights of the Old Republic III."

This! Listen LA/Obsidian, put up or shut up; no more teasing with "what ifs" and "maybes" either make a KIII or let the series remain dead.

Not sure exactly what they'd have to go on except a pocket cell of Kunists...but I think Sion eventually killed them all until he was the only one remaining.

Same problems over and over it would seem... To make a game based on the novel Revan seems a bit flat. It could concern itself to deal with alternate endings, or with what played out after the canonical events of the games unfolded.

For example I'd very much like to find out exactly what went down with the new Jedi Order and things (characters' fates) not covered by the novel.

Although the idea certainly seems interesting, I think if it did happen, there would be at least a few people that were involved with the development of K2, who might just HATE the idea of having to back-pedal on choices that were made for The Sith Lords, rather having to go on the history that both the Revan novel and TOR presents. Many things might be unchanged, but at least a few of the things that TSL presented, have been outright ignored by TOR and most likely the Revan novel(which I have to see about reading at some point, so I don't know if the details were left out there).

Plus, I would certainly hope that Obsidian or anyone who would make it, doesn't want to pander to the people who believe that no matter what kind of game it is, it needs to have a multiplayer mode, and should be judged solely on how good the gameplay for that is. I know most RPGs haven't done this, but given that the first idea for a new KOTOR game was one, with the MMO tacked on the front, I wouldn't be surprised if it was there.

The novel itself isn't suited to an RPG, more likely an action-paced game similar to Jedi Knight, which I wouldn't mind if they did it right. If they are to make a Kotor III, they'd need to re-introduce Revan in a later time period, and explain the whole flash warp thing he did.

Secondly, TSL really made the series interesting in making the Dark/light dichotomy not so simple as Lucas wants to make it to be, which is what it needs to be about. You can't have the Dark side affiliated with killing babies and robbing old women, sometimes decisions like that have to make sense.

However, I doubt Lucas will actually see the light in this argument.

Not sure exactly what they'd have to go on except a pocket cell of Kunists...but I think Sion eventually killed them all until he was the only one remaining.

Same problems over and over it would seem... To make a game based on the novel Revan seems a bit flat. It could concern itself to deal with alternate endings, or with what played out after the canonical events of the games unfolded.

For example I'd very much like to find out exactly what went down with the new Jedi Order and things (characters' fates) not covered by the novel.

I always pictured Kotor III being the search for Revan/discovering what happened. I think it would have been a new PC as always with mention of the Exile launching his/her (canon) investigation. Since in K1 'Revan' was still a big deal even when he wasn't himself, then in K2 he was a big deal because Jedi and Sith were missing/dead and Kreia had speculations/clues as to where he could be so naturally by K3 the Republic is informed on what the Exile learned during TSL and sends a Jedi from the newly re-formed council to investigate using clues left behind with T3 and the Navicomputer. Obviously though because of TOR we wouldn't find Revan, we'd run into certain 'obstacles' preventing us from getting to him but we would eventually learn where and how a couple of hundred years later.

I always pictured Kotor III being the search for Revan/discovering what happened. I think it would have been a new PC as always with mention of the Exile launching his/her (canon) investigation. Since in K1 'Revan' was still a big deal even when he wasn't himself, then in K2 he was a big deal because Jedi and Sith were missing/dead and Kreia had speculations/clues as to where he could be so naturally by K3 the Republic is informed on what the Exile learned during TSL and sends a Jedi from the newly re-formed council to investigate using clues left behind with T3 and the Navicomputer. Obviously though because of TOR we wouldn't find Revan, we'd run into certain 'obstacles' preventing us from getting to him but we would eventually learn where and how a couple of hundred years later.

The only problem with that potential KotOR III plot is that

T3 went with the Exile in the Ebon Hawk to find Revan, after TSL, in the Unknown Regions.

While I would like to see it, I wouldn't get any hopes up for it, nor do I think it would work and as much as I love the series I think that because it was never planned to be a trilogy it would just would never work.

There's too many variables like who would be the protagonist or who would be the antagonist (considering Revan and the exile killed every bad guy in the galaxy) and I don't think we'd be as emotionally invested considering Bioware dropped the ball in by letting us know of what happens to Revan and the exile instead of keeping The Old Republic as a separate project.

• 2 weeks later...
One could dream that they would retcon Revan novel out of existence and made a proper K3 in its place, telling similliar story but with attention to detail and respect to characters that Drew lacks.

He has respect for the characters (he had a hand in creating them!). It's simply that everybody's Revan and Exile are different, and Drew's are no exception. No matter how he presented them someone would have been up in arms. I personally appreciate his take on the story and characters.

A proper KOTOR III, in my opinion, would be one that does not overwrite the Revan novel, but one that would compliment it. It could follow Meetra (the Exile) from the very start of the story, beginning with the end of The Sith Lords, with the search for Revan being the main theme, and eventually catch up to where her part in the novel begins and take us through the same events for the remainder of the game, all from Meetra's perspective.

This...

The only problem with that potential KotOR III plot is that

T3 went with the Exile in the Ebon Hawk to find Revan, after TSL, in the Unknown Regions.

Yeah that.

@thread:

I'm curious about loose ends to be tied up from TSL. If I'm not mistaken, M4-78 didn't have much content, no thanks to uncle george making TSL a rushjob.

I'm still curious about Bao Dur's fate, and how it related to HK-47 getting to Malachor V. Did he survive the fight at Telos or not? Wasn't he also supposed to have been able to learn higher lightsaber forms from the Exile because he'd possibly need them?

Also HK-47's actions and whereabouts

is only referred to in the Revan novel but not actually explained.

We've known Nihilus had a holocron, possibly implying more followers than Visas Marr.

One character you fight in SWTFU learned from it.

Most of the TSL companion characters not talked about in the Revan novel.

That's everybody who did not appear in K1. Atton, Michal, Brianna, Mira, Bao-Dur, Hanharr.

The only purely TSL character in there was

Atris. I'm interested to see what became of her, too.

Also, the situation was economically dire, on the verge of collapse in TSL. I'd imagine it'd be a slow recovery and plenty of time, opportunity and such for other criminal elements to attempt to strike. Genohardan, Exchange, Hutts, bankers, the anti-competitive Czerka corporation.

So plenty of bad guys, some lingering pockets of sith followers, and the stories of the characters.

He has respect for the characters (he had a hand in creating them!). It's simply that everybody's Revan and Exile are different, and Drew's are no exception. No matter how he presented them someone would have been up in arms. I personally appreciate his take on the story and characters.

A proper KOTOR III, in my opinion, would be one that does not overwrite the Revan novel, but one that would compliment it. It could follow Meetra (the Exile) from the very start of the story, beginning with the end of The Sith Lords, with the search for Revan being the main theme, and eventually catch up to where her part in the novel begins and take us through the same events for the remainder of the game, all from Meetra's perspective.

I'm not so sure it wouldn't become a jumbled cluster-**** like Fatal Alliance and SW:TPM both seem to suffer from--that is to say a lack of a central character. While a K3 could include parts (or all) of the Revan Novel, the only thing that would make it a good complimentary story is if the Republic were...well...deceived. Some of the intrigues like what the archivist referred to in the timeline films would need to be in play.

I think that that would actually be a good storyline. As long as LA wouldn't MESS it up.

Archived