Home

What is YOUR best strength in modding?

Scorge

What is your best strength in modding?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What is your best strength in modding?

I choose modeler for the pole although that is not 100% correct so I would like to be a bit more specific here. I do love modeling I find it lots of fun and it's great when you don't want to work on a set specific project. Although while I can model blasters and lightsabers I really don't find that as much fun as modeling an area. So I would say my expertise is area modeling. I have learned so much form Quanon and just from my mistakes that if anyone ever needs me to check out there area model I would be more than happy too.

None of the above...I don't have the slightest clue how to mod KotOR or any game for that matter, yet alone how to even add other people's mods into games! I'm sure I could figure out how to add mods if I had the interest, but yeah... :p

It's a shame (for me) that the majority of this forums activity seems to come from the modding sections and most people come on here either looking for mods or to share their own creations. I love the community on here, but when people are looking for help with a technical problem or help with a mod I can't help at all. There are many people that can though and I'm grateful for that! Whenever someone has a question about playing either KotOR game though I'll gladly help. :)

I don't want to brag, but I feel my skins, the newer ones, are pretty good, if I actually get around to releasing them LOL modeling is something I wish I could do well. scripting is not something I often do, but I find it straightforward enough. I haven't really written much, but I will in the future, we will have to see how I measure up in this aspect.

I feel that my strengths are story writing, module creating, and area reskins. Then again, I'm good at a lot of stuff, so I guess I'm a 'jack of all trades'.

What's the difference between a skinner and texturer, anyways?

Few of us are modelers, scripters, skinners. So what is your strength?

This thread should also help find modders that are needed in a project.

Moderators please fix/add anything missing or wrong.

Thanks,

I consider myself to be a scripter and writer. Though I haven't shown anything in the writing department, I am pretty good at that. I enjoy the thrill of creating something new straight out of my head, where I structure the story. It's really a case of "Why not?" when an idea comes into my head. That, and I take great pride in my exceptional grammar skills, given the state of US teenagers today. I can and am more than happy to look over your work if you want, and check it for grammar errors and mayber even advise you on the flow if you want.

On the other hand, we all know I'm a scripter. I enjoy coding and I like the challenge it gives me if someone comes to me with a problem and needs a solution. I'm more than happy to help and I am usually available on Skype if you have questions.

Cool fact about me:

Learning to script for these games got me interested in the source code for KSE. That was written in Perl, and that's what got me started in programming. :)

I voted... wait for it... modeler! :lol:

The whole 3D thing really took all of my attention. I've dabbled in other modding bits of the game. Though never overly serious. And, alas, when you don't keep doing it you forget things. And this forum is full of helpfull fellows who then almost do all the work for me x-D

Sounds awefull, but I'm very gratefull!

... I have learned so much form Quanon and just from my mistakes that if anyone ever needs me to check out there area model I would be more than happy too.

Very happy to read that, made my day. :)

What's the difference between a skinner and texturer, anyways?

Textures = modules?

Skins = armor, NPCs, weapons, robes, etc?

I would have said there's no real differance between texture or skin; but I think you've nailed it.

Textures are used in areas/ levels; to make a wall look like bricks or concrete. Textures also get used on many differant model bits and parts across the game. Most of them are tiled aswell; so you can repeate them across big model chuncks. Though you wouldn't see a seam. If it's done properly of course :lol:

While skins are more for 1 object/ character. It wouldn't fit on anything else then just the 1 model it was designed for.

• 2 weeks later...
I know *almost* everything about KotOR modding, so I'm 'Jack of all Modding'. The only thing I'm not familiar with is area modeling - 'cause I've never actually tried.

This. Other than a brand new area model, a planet ( :p ) and a merchant, I'm not sure if there's a kind of mod I haven't released at this point.

I always focused my attention on module editing because I was attracted to the idea of creating something however you wanted it, which is also why I got into modeling. I can model like a mad man but I usually have trouble importing into the games. That is why I usually find someone to help me with it, with the exception of placeables, I got that down rock solid. I guess the ultimate reason why I enjoy this because I have the power to create at my own will, so in a sense, I finally get to play God... lol

I have not modded in quite some time. I used to do alright with module editing to add characters and creatures and the such, but it has been quite a while that I've forgotten how to on that part. I am alright at simple texture edits to change colors and whatnot.

I would say my best is probably writing. That would be conversations, story, and whatever else there may be.

• 2 weeks later...

Although I've been absent for a loooong time, I voted for scripter. Since it's the only thing I really know :D. I just like the way scripts use everything else to put it in the right place, yep, that's the best way to say it. Doesn't sound like the biggest deal, but I just enjoy reading and writing code.

I started coding a while ago, when I wanted to write some code for Grand Theft Auto SA and I learned it pretty quick. (I'm not considering me an expert though.) So, when I learned about KOTOR Modding, I thought: "Go for it" Since I already know some programming languages (mostly basic stuff), that was my Go to Section.

Archived