Home

LucasArts Posters: The Revenge

Laserschwert

With reference to this thread, and specifically this comment by Laserschwert, I decided to try running some of the localised game titles through Gigapixel AI and then merging them with Laser's cleaned posters from this thread as a proof of concept. I did a VERY lazy cut out of the text, and you will note that the Hit the Road title clips over the bottom because I just matched the position to the box, but I think the results are surprisingly promising! It will be interesting to see what these might look like when handled by someone who really knows what they're doing :) 

DOTT lazy edit.png

SMHTR lazy small.png

• Like 3

Just registered to say THANK YOU to @Laserschwert for this amazing work. I remember reading many years ago in (I guess) a different forum about this grim fandango movie style poster, and I think you were trying to scan it (your username does ring a bell). I eventually purchased one from ebay, but when you finally uploaded the scanned and clean version.... it was incredible. Now seeing all this amazing artwork available it just mind blowing. Now, a few things if I may.

I read that you are (or were) updating some of the posters using better software, replacing the (I think) brush effect or something like that. Any chance you might do that with The Dig poster? The one with the text at the bottom that looks like a movie poster. I'd love to have that one printed and framed (like my Grim Fandango poster) and the difference between the old and updated posters is huge.

Second, that movie style The Dig poster, do you have only the scanned image? Or like...photoshop elements and things like that? I'd like to try to make a mix between that poster and the one with the three astronauts. I like the astronauts art better actually, so adding the movie like text would be perfect.

Finally, I found this image that also looks like it could be an incredible poster if someone could get a better quality of it.

Thanks A LOT!!!

box4.jpg

4 hours ago, Laserschwert said:

I continue working on new versions of the DIG posters on and off, but especially the main art is really difficult to upscale, since it's so detailed, and I don't want to lose too much of that. The advertisement art is coming along nicely, though.

Iz9o2dg.jpeg

00SyrnI.jpeg

is the second one different from the ones that are already finished? or is it the same without the logo?

Three amazing contributions, courtesy of Ken Macklin himself:

X6gAFzk.jpeg

obZ4NJw.jpeg

jKA4FHo.jpeg

These are scanned from 35mm slides he made prior to sending them off to Lucasfilm, and while the resolution is very high, the quality isn't the best. Still, the Eidolon scan will work as a great source for a complete version of the art.

The Maniac Mansion artworks are so weird, though, especially since Ken stated these were commissioned by Lucasfilm AFTER he had already done the MM key artwork. Why further art uses these strange characters is unclear.

Also in the works: Based on the original oil painting Steve showed in his recent interview with Daniel, I've decided to create a more muted version of his MI2 artwork, trying to emulate the softer look of the original. This still needs some work, especially in the now brighter dark areas, where some of my touch-ups became more apparent.

pDl8qt3.png

ksLVVK9.jpeg

Edited by Laserschwert
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Chef's Kiss 5

On 11/29/2023 at 6:56 AM, rhin said:

Hello
I made a remaster of the Indy Fate of Atlantis comic cover. It's made with Stable Diffusion Inpaint, Upscale and Gimp, it's not quite original anymore but I couldn't get it any better, so if you like it...

Rbnfk.th.jpg

https://picr.eu/images/2023/11/29/Rbnfk.jpg

Greetings rhin

It's really interesting how much extra detail was added by the AI upscaling compared to the original... (assuming it was added by AI?)

2076157MQ4-2pC2aEsWGBsbqYSkaOvqxqAgwsN2G

34vV0ND.jpeg

image.gif

Edited by ThunderPeel2001
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

Well, that's not extra detail, that's just making stuff up. That's pretty pointless if you are trying to preserve existing art.

Edit: To be fair, better sources than the one you've used (for all four covers, no less) can be found via Google in a matter of minutes. Removing the smaller text is a breeze with Photoshop's generative fill (I left the logos in for now), and upscaling it with ESRGAN is a couple of clicks. Using one of those generative "upscalers", which change the image completely, is pretty useless in my opinion, since it doesn't leave much of the actual artwork.

9j9VXyj.jpg

eDlvO7e.jpg

W4eMYr8.jpg

62Pw25C.jpg

Edited by Laserschwert

19 hours ago, Laserschwert said:

Well, that's not extra detail, that's just making stuff up. That's pretty pointless if you are trying to preserve existing art.

Edit: To be fair, better sources than the one you've used (for all four covers, no less) can be found via Google in a matter of minutes. Removing the smaller text is a breeze with Photoshop's generative fill (I left the logos in for now), and upscaling it with ESRGAN is a couple of clicks. Using one of those generative "upscalers", which change the image completely, is pretty useless in my opinion, since it doesn't leave much of the actual artwork.

I assume you're addressing @rhin, the person who made the upscaled artwork?

• Confused 1

Yeah, I noticed and appreciated it :D. The SCUMM version has some embellishments with extra angles and swoops added in places, probably in part to make it read more dynamically as a pixel art font, but is definitely Lithos-inspired. 

Ah, good point, it was a misunderstanding. You've basically posted a "before" version and I assumed it was a quote from his post. But scrolling up, I see that he only included a thumbnail.

The "generative upscale" invented and changed a lot of stuff, hence my assumption, that the source simply wasn't good enough.

• Like 1