Home

A new rival to mixnmojo has arrived...

scabb

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mojo has LucasArts. You have given us a link to a Monkey Island site. What about news on Full Throttle 2? Sam & Max? Mojo will cover these games. Will the demonic skull? Also, how will they gain popularity over more established sites like the Scumm Bar?

I originally wanted to make a Monkey Island site. But then I realised that there were too many out there already; mine would have to kick ass to be noticed. And I liked LucasArts games as a genre, not just the MI games. I made a tones site cos it was unique, and thats the only reason I get so many hits.

But, a month to go. Then we will see.

Well, I don't think there's anything wrong with creating sites like they do, but the e-mails they've been sending out are pathetic. Creating a huge site like they want is not something that can be done overnight, it's something that takes years to do. And it costs a lot of money too.

Oh yeah, they might want to run a spell check on the frontpage.

Originally posted by Jake

Your servers don't overload if nobody reads your site.

Hm, okay, this is my plan:

- I ask them to host a copy of ScummVM

- I make up some deal about ScummVM being shut down by LucasArts, while secretly making sure all sites with copies of ScummVM remove them temporarly. Then we leak the story to Slashdot as a rumor, and I anonymously post a comment about a copy of the now 'illegal' source being on their server.

- Watch it melt.

Well, you know what that means, guys:

Good-bye Mix

Mixnmojo has been good as long as it had been there, but now it's time to move on. Demonic Skull here I come!

Who's with me?

Who's with me?

Nobody?

Well, OK. Then stick to your stupid sinking ship, you rats.

: )

Originally posted by Alien426

Well, OK. Then stick to your stupid sinking ship, you rats.

: )

We're a sinking ship? Dammit, why am I always the last one to know about these things!?

But I think competition is a good thing usually. We wouldn't want there to be some kind of LucasArts Fan Community Monopoly, would we? Would we?!

*crickets*

What are you talking about "monopoly"? There are plenty of other sites. For instance:

World of MI*

Legend of MI*

EscapeMI*

SCUMM Bar*

LucasFans*

Adventuregamers**

Demonicskull

See?! Relaaax, guy, there's nothing to worry about :D

* Part of Mojo Network

** Hosted on Mojo's server

Ok ok ok... I love mojo dearly, but lets give these guys a chance. I say, 1 week. 1 week after they launch if its no good we can diss it. Ok? I mean, its pretty audacious to assume you can just oust all the LFN in one fell swoop anyway, so maybe they just wanna make a really good, sorta second rate fansite... second rate to mojo, I mean - they may well be better than many sites... maybe

Originally posted by LucasTones

Ok ok ok... I love mojo dearly, but lets give these guys a chance. I say, 1 week. 1 week after they launch if its no good we can diss it. Ok? I mean, its pretty audacious to assume you can just oust all the LFN in one fell swoop anyway, so maybe they just wanna make a really good, sorta second rate fansite... second rate to mojo, I mean - they may well be better than many sites... maybe

Well said. I agree.

OK.

I just want to clear a few things up here. I don't hate Mojo (sorry if I said I did in a letter to Gabez. I take it back... Please Note: Jake is choking me at the moment.... *gasp*). I just want to create a rival site for Mojo, SCUMM Bar, MI Legend, World of MI

and any other great site I forgot to mention. I am not wanting to take on non Monkey Island sites... just yet. For everyone that thinks that my idea is evil or whatever, like Lucastones, by thinking Mojo has Lucas Arts, I am just creating a competing site. No need to get all defensive like this.

Lucastones - You might think Mojo has them, but lets hope that Mojo's grip is tight. If you want an email, I'll send you a love letter. It'll be the only one you ever get (unless I get a bit lonely in the future of course and I feel like sending another), or you could call me maybe? I'll show you my tone.

Riffage - ? Get outside and in the sun mate (yes, I come from the land down under).

Remi - What emails are these? The ones to Gabez? Gee, that's really sending them around now, isn't it ? Oh yes, you know that dog in your picture? Is that your face? I thought it was your backside! (only joking).

Raven - We will just see now, won't we ?

Jake - Love you and all, but lets not get nasty now, shall we ? You were the one that wanted a friendly war (is that actually possible ? Friendly war ?)

Ender - LOL. Whatever.... (strange)

Telarium - I love your jokes (seriously). I also like the way you think about the whole idea, because it is exactly what I want, competition.

BGBennyBoy - Yes, Yes... I'm very religious....

Everyone Supporting Demonic Skull - Thank-you for your support in the fight of KILLING MOJO!!!... oh yea, they can see this can't they ? (only joking)

Love you all - Good-bye cruel Mojo... Adventure Game!...

I'm not quite sure if I know what you're trying to do here... I mean, I know that at least some of the staff working at the Scumm Bar and Mixnmojo have met and have good working relationships with the LucasArts PR department. I myself have recieved contact from Tom Sarris, Tim Schafer and Peter McConnoll since LucasTones moved onto the LFN. I may quote:

"I wish I had a better phone so I could enjoy the quality goods at LucasTones." - Tim Schafer

Now, for all I know I could be dead wrong about this, but tell me; how many of the staff over at The Demonic Skull actually know LucasArts people? I'm guessing zero. So my point is this: if by "You might think Mojo has them, but lets hope that Mojo's grip is tight" you are referring to LucasArts, then I don't need to hope, I know. Mojo has a very firm grip on the LucasArts internet scene, and it takes more than a few forum posts promising a big new site to loosen it.

I don't think that insulting the mojo regulars is very sensible either. I personally don't mind, but it has given me an opinion on you - when I contacted mojo we had a friendly exchange and they did all they could to help me get my site on the server. I don't even know you, but I know that you haven't been very friendly so far. And saying things without any knowledge whatsoever makes you appear foolish - "I'll send you a love letter. It'll be the only one you ever get" - this actually made me laugh. Whether or not its true is beside the point, you don't know. Neither does anyone else. But you're saying things like this and I don't understand why. I mean, I was always going to look at your site, I still am. But the chances of me becoming a fan, a member or whatever, are now slim to nil.

If you're gonna be paying server costs you're gonna have to get some kind of advertising scheme going. Maybe you've done this already. However, no-one will want to advertise with you unless you actually recieve a substantial amount of hits per day. I know I don't recieve enough hits per day to convince advertisers that I'm good rent-space, thats one of the things I love about mojo. My hits, plus all the other hosted sites hits, plus mojo itself's hits makes a lotta hits.

If you do have a tone, please submit it. I'd like to hear it. But I wanna ask you one last thing; If mojo were really scared of you, I mean really scared, then would they let you insult them on their own forums?? I await the Demonic Skull with interest.

To Anyone that found my post offensive

LucasTones has told me that he found my post to be offensive. Just wated to say sorry to you LT, and anyone else that may have found my message offensive, but I also find some of your messages offensive. Such as Remio saying we were sending emails around when we wern't, and certain people saying we are Mojo wannabies. ('pfft mojo wannabies' - Riffage)

Sorry Again. - didn't mean any harm.

Love you all

Let's not forget that Mojo didn't just become this over night, it's been around for about 5 years now. And even it started off as a mere Monkey Island fan site, just like Demonicskull seems it will be.

Still, having said that I find it hard to believe that anything new could better Mojo so... up wth Mojo!

A friendly advice to the DemonicSkull guys:

Try to get rid of the grammar / spelling errors. They make it seem much less professional. I will pardon bad use of English at any site where it's not the native language, but geez, you're Aussies...

addition:

Speaking of ads: can somebody suggest a program that gets rid of popup ads? I'm so damn tired of closing Verizon windows.

Originally posted by Huz

lucastones smells really good

Hey! thanks Huz! But you didn't have to strike through that, I want the world to know!

LucasTones smells really good!

THIS ADVERT POST IS IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH CALVIN KLEIN, ETERNITY FOR MEN OR ANY OTHER EXPENSIVE CALVIN KLEIN MERCHANDISE, WHICH MAY OR MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE AT THE CALVIN KLEIN WEBSITE, AT INCREDIBLE PRICES

(© Calvin Klein / LucasTones 2002)

Archived