Home

Describe your Utopia

Dagobahn Eagle

Okay, let's go from talking about depressions and anti-depressives to talking about something nice.

Simple as this: Describe your Utopia. Be it a city, neighbourhood, nation, or whole planet.

My Utopia

Nationality: United Nordic States (UNS): Iceland, Greenland, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, and Finland -the Nordic people- are united as states like the US states with a Capitol based in one of the nation-states. Indigenous Lapps' territories within the Peninsula are also recognised as their own state with their own government within the U. N. S..

Governmnet form: Social Democracy. Health care is a right on the same line as assistance from the fire brigade and the police: The skill of the people assisting you should not depend on the class you're in. Health care is paid for by taxes and all patients are healed equally.

The system is liberal, so that you can set up your own counterparts to the socialized stuff. +Welfare system. Elections are held every 6th year.

Culture: Differences in sexual orientation, fetishes, economic class, gender*, or race are not recognised. No concepts remain to describe these differences** except from basic descriptive terms ("rich" instead of "High Class" for example). Boys and girls are raised the exact same way. Athletics and fine arts, as well as the teaching of at least two languages are mandatory. Students are treated fairly and nicely.

Laws: Complete ban of tobacco, narcotics, and alcohol. Media operate on a need-to-know basis and are required to obtain a written permission before writing about private persons or households. Freedom of creating your own governmnent party with the same rights and abilities as the existing ones.

Rest of the world is Democratic and everyone have enough to eat :). Bush loses election :D. No monopolies.

---

*This would mean that basically everything is unisex. Note that this does not mean I'm a pervert wanting to live in a world where I can just walk in and look at naked females :p. What I mean is that according to the theory that about everything "weird" is acceptable as long as it's normal to you, people who grow up with this system would not mind. In fact, several nations have rules permitting infants to enter the opposite gender's locker rooms/showers/saunas. Some countries have completely unisex saunas (as long as no private organs are displayed). I guess this is when a lot of people will laugh:).

**Sorry to people who are proud of their race and would like it to be classified.

Done!:D

Okay, this turned out to be pretty long, but it's more or less mine. Just wanted to tell you. Okay, your chance. Post your perfect world :).

Me, a room, a custom computer with dual Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz processers, a ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, SW Galxies, KOTR, complete dolby digital 5.5 surround sound, 4 19' flatscreen moniters (one on each side of me), a sattellite TV and Internet connection, a playstation 2, a 60 inch HDTV with a progressive scan DVD player, and a phone.....and a Showmars next door.

:D

Ohhh that's nice.

My Utopia

Nationality: Whoa this part would look a lot like Star Trek, actually. I'd definitely go for a planet-wide government, maybe an evolved form of the United Nations. Only this single "earth nation" would be allowed to operate weaponry, in order to keep peace throughout the continents. Gotta watch out for terrorists, though.

Government form: Okay this will sound a bit weird, but screw democracy. Or at least in the form that it is today. I'm sorry but the ignorant down-the-road-Joe that the population is mainly made of can't make correct political decisions. What I suggest is to form a government-independent agency that would form highly knowledgeable 'politicologists' who would basically know every intricate detail of the system of each competing political parties. Only they would have the right to vote for the political system that is best suited for the population for a mandate of about ten years, as well as write and amend constitutions. Combined with a worldwide government this should be very effective.

I'd also like to add that such a government would be able to prevent monopolies, as well as manage efficiently the redistribution of wealth.

Culture: Basically, as with Eagle's Utopia, it's all about the respect of other cultures' differences. The worldwide government would 'enforce' this respect.

Laws: All the laws would be designed toward self-improvement - no external aids unless in absolute necessity (such as a death risk). So much like Eagle again, most brain-altering substances would be banned (and monitored), except maybe beers and more tame alcoholic beverages (you wouldn't want to start uprisings over this ;) ).

You know, some time ago there was this political party in one of the Nordic countries trying to unite the Nordic countries. I forgot it's name, but it fought for a common nationality of what it called the "Nordic Bloc" :p. I liked the flag, though. Scandinavian cross, red white and blue, and down the blue vertical line, top half to bottom of horizontal line, were six stars, one for every country. But no...

Actually, though, it could be done. EU is more like a trade union, like the Hanseatic Union. Even if the countries were unified (eg. if Sweden became a state), it could still be in the EU, even with Norway, Iceland, etc. not being in the EU. We'd just say that the UNS were "part members of EU. Some states are in, some are not". :). Also, we speak (almost) the same language, have (almost) the same heritage and (almost) the same traditions. In my opinion, we are one people.

PS: I know, the Nordic countries have been unified, just not Democratically :). Just in case someone wanted to point that out.

Anyone else? Come on, describe your perfect world!

Nationality: Alien and humans and robots.:D

Government-Form: Galactic Government, but each planet has it's own local government.

Culture: No sexism, racism, etc.

Laws: No speed limits. School is reduced to 4 hrs a day, and no homework, but local governments can change this if they wish. Street Racing is legal. Smoking and to a large extent drugs are illegal. Movies are released uncut, and certificates only go up to 15+ (local governments can change this if they wish)

Strict laws against pouching and tight regulations conserning chopping down of rainforests, etc.

A place where people wouldn't moan and complain about their situation, shut-up, and work to make everything better for themselves and everyone around them.

Oh, and Sher, you're political meanderings on government were discussed just over 230 years ago when the 2nd continental congress was held. :D

The participants knew that the people wouldn't be smart enough to choose for themselves so they sat aside politicans to debate issues and make choices based on people's input about what was going on. :D

"Democracy only gives people what they want, not what they necessarily need." - Senator Amidala.

That's a great quote to tell why we can't have a pure democracy.

Why is everyone intent on abolishing the speed limit? Because some people (me) have very good control of their cars at more than the speed limit! Every night I come home from work at about 11 pm, I do 50 in a 25! No one's out at that time, and no one cares! And why is it that people get busted for going two miles over? Cops seem to think that if someone does 67 in a 65, they'll immediately lose control of their vehicle and cause a 72-car pile up with 72 fatalities! [/ranting]

*wheeze* Must...calm...down....

Originally posted by jediduo

Why is everyone intent on abolishing the speed limit? Because some people (me) have very good control of their cars at more than the speed limit! Every night I come home from work at about 11 pm, I do 50 in a 25! No one's out at that time, and no one cares! And why is it that people get busted for going two miles over? Cops seem to think that if someone does 67 in a 65, they'll immediately lose control of their vehicle and cause a 72-car pile up with 72 fatalities! [/ranting]

*wheeze* Must...calm...down....

Not everyone can control their cars like that.

And don't think that just because you can control your car most of the time means you'll never lose control. Anything can happen... you should put all the chances on your side by not exceeding too much the speed limit.

Picture yourself in a boat on a river

With tangerine trees and marmalade skies

Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly

A girl with kaleidiscope eyes

Cellophane flowers of yellow and green towering over your head

Look for the girl with the sun in her eyes and she's gone

Follow her down to a bridge by a fountain

Where rocking horse people eat marshmallow pies

Everyone smiles as you drift past the flowers

That grow so incredibly high

Newspaper taxis appear on the shore waiting to take you away

Climb in the back with your head in the clouds and you're gone

Picture yourself on a train in a station

With plasticine porters with looking glass ties

Suddenly someone is there at the turnstile

A girl with kaleidoscope eyes

...ahhhhh...Utopia...

...or an LSD trip...either way fun stuff...:D

I sincerely hope you are joking, Jediduo. You'll end up running down someone going at 25 over the speed limit :rolleyes:. If some person runs into the road and you're going at 50 (and in a 25-zone I guess there are people crossing the street sometimes), would you be able to stop?

If you don't realize, speed limits are there for a reason. The reason why I'm making this post is I've got a personal issue with people violating speed limits. When the same people brag about it, they ask for it.

Point 1: Where I used to live (rural Norway), we had this pedestrian crossing at the end of a steep hill that went around a small mountain. At the buttom, it twisted a bit in the other direction. As a result, you couldn't see the crossing until you were approx. 40 meters away from it.

This happened at that crossing when my, by then, 8-year old brother walked home from school one day: A car approaches the crossing, and, seeing him, it stops before the crossing. As my brother starts walking across the street, this other car comes rushing down the hill and around the turn in something like 65 to 75 kph in the 50 kph zone. He sees the stopped car, and prepares to dodge it by getting into the second lane (left lane) of the two-lane road... just as my brother was walking past that stopped car, into that lane. There was no way the driver of the speeding car could have stopped in time when he saw my little brother emerging from behind the stopped vehile... :(

If the driver of the stopped car hadn't been such a quick-thinking guy and stood on the car horn, making my brother jump and dart back to the side-walk past the parked car, I would have lost a second little brother. Yeah, go ahead and speed. What if you hit some teen part of a gang walking home, or a lost pet or something.. nobody cares, right?

Point 2: Tune in to the radio in the morning. Every morning there has been at least 5 or 6 accidents. And that's in Houston, with wide roads and streets and few turns. See, accidents happen. And that's for Houston alone. How many accidents do you think take place every day in TX? 10? 50? And in the US? A houndred or a thousand or something, with probably least a dozen fatalities a day. Hey, it's a country of 280+ Million people.

Oh, and I'm sure that if someone saw you going 25 above the limit, they would care.

Oh, and if you go in 65 instead of 60, it takes you 50 meters longer to stop, and you dang well know it, democrat.

School is reduced to 4 hrs a day, and no homework, but local governments can change this if they wish.

Yeah, right. Without homework, school would be at least one hour longer every day to make up for the stuff you miss... Four hours a day.. not too much stuff to learn :)

But okay, it's a fantasy. There's controversial stuff in the UNS as well, right :)

I appreciate your concern, Eagle, and I think I need to clear something up. The stretch of street where I speed is nice and open and long, and there are only two houses. I always put my brights on before I take off, and if there is any HINT of activity, I follow the speed limit. I may drive fast, but I'm not insane: I know what speeding can do if not carefully watched. And I'm sorry if I came across as bragging. That is something I should NOT do. As for twisty, windy roads where visibility is limited, I follow the speed limit.

I promise, I'm not as crazy as you might think.

Oh, and I retract my comment about legal street racing: If you wanna show off your nitrous, take it to a track.

Thanx, Eagle, for making me think twice.

Originally posted by jediduo

a Supra

I hear those trucks are prtty cool :D:p

hehehe....

also, Sherack's government sounds a little like Communism...hmmmm.....

anywho, my utopia would be a place where everyone was free to do what they wanted when they wanted...no barriers, no limitations, no laws...everyone could live without fear of being harrassed or hurt in any way...government would be irrelevent, nations would be extinct, only 1 race would exist: Human

hey, it's my utopia, let's make it perfect...I'd name it something like...Duloc....

My Utopia would be very simple. It would be the world as it is today. But.... there would be peace throughout the world and there would be no hatred anywhere. Every country would be able to do whatever they wanted but there would be no war. Every country would have food and there would be no starvation or poverty. Every one would live in a house and there would be no shacks or makeshift houses. There would be electricty everywhere and indoor plumbing. The crime rate would be non existant and there would be no murders. There would not be overpopulation and everyone would have a job. Military's would still be around but they would be here to protect us from any foreign aggresor's or alien one's. Every one would have a education and there would be no disease's or illnesses. Every one would have a T3 server at there house and a brand new computer and when new technology would come along they would be upgraded. Every one would have a nice car and the only thing that you would have to pay for was taxes and everything else would be free. It would be like a Star Trek Government where money would not be the driving force but advancement in Humanity would be. There would be Star travel and there peace throughout the Universe.

:lsduel::duel:

My Utopia

Men would be the pregnant ones - not the woman! *rant rant*

j.k

1. Everyone would spay and nueter their animals so that the animal shelters would not fill up with animals that get euthenised because nobody wants them. I wish that every animal was able to go to a good home.

2. There would not be any homeless people. However - welfare would be taken on a rather serious note and people would be forced to have jobs and work for a living. Rather than stay at home and make money for nothing.

3. No one would be allowed to own a gun.

4. There would be no orphans.

5. World Peace. Everyone would get along. No Saddam Hussien or Taliban or Terrorists. No Atomic Weapons etc. Rather instead the world focusing on things together like curing diseases etc.

6. The world would be ridden of insane motorists.

7. No more Telemarketers.

8. Me, a beach, my boyfriend - a bottomless margarita and two cabana boys fanning me.

9. And I'd be filthy rich

Why go over the speed limit at all, jediduo? That's what I don't understand. To save yourself a few seconds of your time? It doesn't seem worth it IMO :-/

Speaking for the seniors at our school.

Coach Sully: Did you know it was dangerous?

Senior: Yeah?

Coach Sully: Then why'd you do it?

Senior: Because it looked cool.

Coach Sully: But didn't you know it was dangerous?

Senior: Yeah.

Coach Sully: Then why'd you do it?!

Senior: Becaaaaaaaause it... looked... COOOOOOOOOOL.

Wash, Rinse, Repeat. :D

Archived