Home

new stuff in store

Aristotle

With the new credit system... we understand that the default prizes for credits don't all fit our specific LF.Com needs given our very unique community....

So... Here's YOUR chance to give very specific feedback and input on this credit system.

1) What prizes do you want to see made available? Which ones should be scrapped? What should the amount of credits be for each?

2) Any other suggestions on modifying the system... fire away.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) Stickying a thread. Cool, if done with good intentions, and I don't suspect it'll be sticky forever. And give the mods the right to unsticky any dubious topic, IF there's a spammage of sticky topics.

2)Change custom title. Nice - now it's easier to get a custom title, hopefully making newcomers less spammy. Reduce the cost on this one, and you'll see a decrease in spamming even further.

3)Give another user a custom title. Hmm.... I foresee some gruesome abuses of this. It could still work however, if there was a time limit on it (EG 2 days) - and if changed into anything offensive, the mods are in their full right to punish the perpetrator in any way.

4)Add glow. Cool, no harm in that.

5)Moderator for a day. The big one. Could still work, despite the amount of abuse hidden in this option - the mods could get some extra man-power this way, relieving them of some work, and they're (again) in their full right to punish someone abusing this power by any means necessary. And that includes banning people. That'll make them stop and think about doing anything evil with this.

6)Add calendar event. Cool, I rarely check the calendars anyway - but with this, I just might. I can't see any harm in this. If the calendar gets spammed, look away.

7)Italic username. Same as for the glowing one.

8)Midi song. Hmmmmmmm.... Fine, as long as it doesn't drag the forum down with huge sound files. If that happens, remove it.

Are you (the mods) intending for us not to change our location? The profile section is currently down - is that intended, or just an accident?

I'll try to think up some new prizes.

I agree with you completely, Cjais :) (Now, where have we heard that before? :p:D)

Posted by Cjais

Are you (the mods) intending for us not to change our location? The profile section is currently down - is that intended, or just an accident?

From what I've gathered so far, that's unintentional... If they did mean it to be like that, then I'll be sorely disappointed - I like to have my location match my title and/or avatar on occasion, and having to fork out ridiculous amounts of credits to change my standard profile info would really annoy me...

I can foresee myself saving credits for when the usual troll passes by the swamp, then changing into a moderator and start laying the smackdown on the poor troll.

About the custom title - let's face it: most newcomers are desperate for such a title, and I can't count the number of times I've heard about them moaning that it somehow justififes their spamming because it's all only because they want that damn title. Give them the damn title :)

New prize: Uploading a file from your computer (like avs) to the forums, just like mods can. There ought to be a size limit, and it shouldn't be too expensive, as people can usually find a way to link to their file somehow anyway. But good for those that don't have any webspace etc.

Other prize ideas could be to cosmetically change your name (like with glow and italic), and.... well, that's all fer now!

Wacky: Great minds think alike... :D

Posted by Cjais

I can foresee myself saving credits for when the usual troll passes by the swamp, then changing into a moderator and start laying the smackdown on the poor troll.

That was sort of what I had in mind, too... :D

New prize: Uploading a file from your computer (like avs) to the forums, just like mods can. There ought to be a size limit, and it shouldn't be too expensive, as people can usually find a way to link to their file somehow anyway. But good for those that don't have any webspace etc.
Excellent suggestion - I've been wanting at least the possibility to post attachments for ages - this would be a nice addition to the 'store' :D
Wacky: Great minds think alike... :D
So they do :D

I can't really think of anything other than the already-proposed cosmetic stuff right now, but if I think of something reasonable I'll edit it in... :)

I posted some of this in the other thread, but i suppose it should go here instead.

About the moderator. Perhaps you could create a lower class of moderators that are below normal oes. These moderators would have the power to edit posts, and thats it. They can't move them or delete them or change people's anything. Keep in mind that a post, iff necessary, can still be effectly "deleted" without actually moving it from the forum. That way people who wanted to be a "high and mighty moderator" could still edits bad things or even entire posts, but someone who wanted to cause havoc couldn't say..delete every thread on the board. Not without an incredibly large amout of work and time. I'd imagine most people would use it to edit others posts and put things are the bottom or change it to say something odd or what not. Oh, and i'm not sure if this happens already or not, but the person have to know what "moderator" editted their post if it did happen.

Another thing, i'd like the ability to have images directly on the boards. In my sig you see a link to two banners, which i made myself. Neither of them are very large. I'd like to have them as sig banners but i can only post them as links. This would have to have limits as well, though. I wouldn't, of course, have both banners and the poem at the same time, it would be tho large size and space-wise. If a person decided to have incredibly large or spacious sigs, then the moderators could edit them down to more appropritate proportions.

And I totally agree with everyone on the attachments, that would be nice.

BTW Cjais, midis are made to be posted on the interenet. They aren't actually music at all, just "notes" so to speak. Your computer takes the midi and uses its dound card to play it. They are a little large, but nothing overwhelming, especially considering this isn't something everyone can do.

Attachment! Attachment is the word is was looking for! D'oh! :D:p

Anyway - That could actually be another prize idea: Pay 1000$ and you get yourself a sig image. Yay or nay?

The way I see it, the boards wouldn't get dragged down by those images if only a select few had payed for them. Maybe I'm just horrified and exagerrating the lag that such sig pics would cause.

About the moderator for a day: I agree with you that they shouldn't be allowed to delete anything - lock threads, sure, but delete 'em? Hell no. However, I doubt people would start deleting the entire forum if they were the mod for a day - the banning, virus attacks and mailbombing afterwards would probably make them think twice about such things.

Hmmm.... Unless the moderator-for-a-day prize was saved to get rid of them trolls, I can't see it being very attractive. Look at it, how long are you on these forums anyway? Certainly not the whole day. That means you've just wasted 3000$ for having about 2/3/4 hours of editing mayhem, with most proper people only editing around 5 posts. It's not worth it, unless you're going to really f*ck things up.

A novelty idea at best, but one people aren't going to care much about.

Another thing with the sig banners may be not to allow animations. Or maybe put a size cap on it. The two banners i have are only about 20K combined. Thats the same as an avatar. I do see how people with huge animations and sig banners that are 200K can slow things down, though.

i think the price for a custom title should be lower say...

*checks his points*

22...seriously though it should be lower...and i also think we ought to be able to buy a graphic sig..that we can keep on like...two weeks, but also have size limit..

Cjais, nice idea about the attachments.

Tie Guy, nice idea about the image in sig.

As for custom titles....I'm not sure, I mean that's really a reward for posting 1000 quality posts. Spammers will still spam to a point where they have enough points to buy a custom title. There's a way to stop that by ranking the thread down...but who takes the time to do that here? A show of hands?

Just my thoughts on the matter.

I said:

I abhor the idea of "mod for a day". The thought of some spammer or idiot getting their hands on this scares me.

And then, lo and behold...

AcrylicGuitar said:

Hold on...did everyones post count go down or something?

I rest my case.

the whole 'mod for a day' thing ahs to go. a hacker could do serious damage with IP adresses, we should just hand them out freely.

and also spammer could spam a lot more, open topics that were closed for spam or obscene material and sop on. not a good idea.

Originally posted by Jedi220

Cjais, nice idea about the image in sig.

Yeah, nice idea, Cjais. :rolleyes:

Anyways, i wouldn't be so quick to trash a mod for a day prize. It would just have to have lots of restrictions. It already is really expensive. Other things would be (some of these i have said before), they can't delete anything, they can't close (or open) anything, they can't move anything, they can't change people's profiles, they can't see people's IP adresses, and they can't ban people even temporarily. So that leaves them with editting people's posts. The people who wanted to have a little fun still can with changing what people said/posted, and those who wanted to actually be moderators could still erase/modify what spammers said/posted. Even this would have the safeguard of letting everyone know who editted it so abuses can be attributed and dealt with.

With a system such as the one above i think we'd see a basically harmless yet possibly fun use of the prize. Plus, people still get the feeling of power knowing that they are a moderator on the almighty LucasForums network. ;)

All that being said, i'd probably never use it. But why not let everyone have the chance to be a mod when they really can't cause any serious harm, especially not without provoking swift retribution.

My opinion? Okay, let's look through these.

Donate credits to another user

Obviously, can't see a problem with that one ^_~

Trade Credits For The Sticky Feature

This one could get out of hand...but as long as it's high-priced, it should be fine. ^_^ Of course, mods can unsticky any spam threads, so it should work.

Change Custom Title

Ack! This one's fine, sure, so long as those who already have the ability get to keep it!

Give another user a custom title

Ohhhhh. This could get out of hand. It MIGHT work if it's both expensive and mods (and people with over 1000 posts) have the ability to change it back. But even then...you have to weigh the fun to be had with the upset reactions of people who get changed and can't change it back. Neutral on this one.

Add Glow To Username

This one's kewl. The only problem I can see is if someone chose the wrong glow color and then couldn't change it for a long time...but as it's cheap right now, that shouldn't be a problem ^_^

Change Username

This should be more expensive to limit the number of times it's done - people can really only be identified by username. Besides that it's good.

Add Calendar Event

One of those things that will be good unless over-abused.

Trade Credits For An Italic Username

Sure, why not? Like glowy names, it's just an aesthetic thing. It's not like italic usernames identify anything (unlike bold and bold-italic, which identify mods and supermods)

Trade Credits For A Midi Song For Your Profile

Can't see a problem for this one. It's just when you view a profile, and midis, well, can't really overload the database.

Was about to rant about Mod for a Day but I see it's already gone ;)

Ideas:

Perhaps allow a user to trade credits to upload an attachment? Should be very expensive so as not to overload the server if implemented, of course...

Perhaps allow a user to, like others said, trade credits for a picture in their signature? Size limit, of course. (And removing it should preferably be free, considering)

Lets see here.......I dont like the whole custom user text thing. I really liked the fact that once u get 1,000 posts, u can change ur custom user text. Maybe u should change the price on that, I think that would be cool. And, the glowy user name thingy, thats neat.........awesome infact :)

Originally posted by Tie Guy

Yeah, nice idea, Cjais. :rolleyes:

My apologies, I edited my post accordingly. No need to get upset ;)

And you brought up a point I was just about to say:

Originally posted by Tie Guy

All that being said, i'd probably never use it.

In my eyes, it's just that it's a feature we don't need. That's all I'm trying to prove. It's just a bunch of eye candy, but if it makes some ppl feel better, than there's not much anyone can do about it.

(didnt read above but)

$1000(Since you only get 3 for a post)to get the attachment ability of your .___ choice of either .Midi, .Gif, .Jpg, and .MP3 for as long as you stay on Lucasforums(note that you can get another .___ if you save up to get it).

Take "give another a custom title" away.

for 1500-2000,allow images in sigs.

Also, a monthly credits thing.1 person in each main forum(E.G. JK,JKII,Aresen,SWK,ect.) get's 100-500(your choice) of points by you deciding if they contributed to the forums.

How's that?

okay, so although i'm well awar that dmin do browse the forums, they just don;t post as much, maybe moderators who interact more with the members of different forums should have a certain amount of credits which they can give to people they think deserve them (not friends, but people who provide a positive cotribution to the forum). although i can already see this maybe getting out of hand as some mods may just give it to friends and such. i dunno, i thought. maybe to make members behave more and not spam as much.

Archived