Home

What is your favourite bit of music in the Monkey Island games?

bucket-o'-mudd

This really depends on the advances in technology, but I still like the original SMI theme tune. It fits the 'Deep in the Caribean' titles perfectly in terms of its mood

Do you notice that as the games progress there is less and less original music. Most of CMI's borrows from MI2 albeit in an updated form with real reggae instruments

EMI didn't really have much music that appealed to me at all. It was essentially the same tune (that bit first heard in the Barbery Coast in CMI.. you know what I mean) recycled in loads of different ways. Although this is a common practice for films and some other games (as someone reminded me), I don't think it works for MI - I like unique themes for each part of the game. :D

CMI's soundtrack was great. I cannot really think of a single piece in the entire game which I don't like - the same applies for MI2. MI1 had some nice ones, although the main theme is the only one which I enjoy listening to today. The themes themselves were great, but the quality of MI1's music isn't very impressive to me anymore.

The specific themes I enjoy most are the Barbery Coast, the original theme, the Lawyers from EMI and the Blood Island map. There's plenty more I listen to, but I can't think of them right now.

I agree that the CMI soudtrack was superb, it followed on from the iMuse legacy in many places by having several variations on a central theme when talking to different characters (like in woodtick)

I think that my favourite MI2 music is wally's in his little shack, there's something about it's floaty light nature combined with the stars through his rooflight that just make the whole thing complete for me. love it.

I think for CMI it would have to be on the monkey pirate ship when mister fossey catches you doing whatever and the music goes very reggae and bouncy. Either that or outside the voodoo woman's hut where someone is just strumming on a guitar in a very jazzy fashion

MI1: Theme and music when you first address the crew on the ship.

MI2: All the Phatt Island themes, Scabb Island map overview, everything on Dinky and a whole lot more.

CMI: Barbery Coast, Puerto Pollo, Blood Island Map and the ship song.

EMI: Lucre lawyers, final cut-scene, shores of Pegnose's hideout, the mystes.

I guess my favourite piece from SOMI was the main theme.

Anything from Monkey Island 2 makes me dance with glee.

I liked the Goodsoup interior music from CMI: it’s so warm and welcoming. Generally CMI had a very nice soundtrack.

And EMI… Well, the sound "quality" was a little dull, but I loved the music.

Monkey Island has by far the best music in any game. I mean think about the LeChuck theme, the intro theme. WOW

My favorite music though.... hmm.... cant say I have one, I remember the first time seeing the CMI intro, send shivers up my spine. I didnt even know it was out until the day I bought it, just imagine my excitement.

Hi everyone (I'm new here)...

in my opinion, the best music I've ever heard in a Monkey Island game is the 'Skeleton Dance' or whatever the name is (MI2, under the tree).

BUT, you've got to listen to it with the PC speaker. (I'm serious !)

Originally posted by Thrik

EMI didn't really have much music that appealed to me at all. It was essentially the same tune (that bit first heard in the Barbery Coast in CMI.. you know what I mean) recycled in loads of different ways. Although this is a common practice for films and some other games (as someone reminded me), I don't think it works for MI - I like unique themes for each part of the game. :D

Yeah. The music in EMI was a bit of a disappointment... I would like unique themes as well, over the whole game. I hate music which is keeping the same music, just playing differently. The lawyers in EMI had a different way - and I think that's the best track in whole EMI. Not my favorite, though...

My favorite song might just be the Pirate song, and the main theme from MI1-CMI :)

Oh, and the musictracks in CMI was superb! :D

YES! I completely forgot! My favourite music was MI2: Amiga after LeChuck has transported you into the other room (at the end of the game). It sort of got weirder and weirder the longer it played, but the original mix you hear just after you arrive in on of the other rooms for the first time gives me goosepimples (or it did at least).

~ Johnny

Note: If you're wondering where Governor Phatt's comment about not getting sound to work - and the subsequent helpful replies - have gone, I've taken it and moved it here. Feral

Difficult question. I like most tracks from all the games, but I guess the one I've listened to most is from CMI, the track I call "LeChuck's Hold". It plays in the beginning, after you have made Wally cry. The sound and atmosphere of that track is stunning. I used to sit hours on end in that scene, just listening to the music with the sound effects and speech turned off. (And then came ScummRev, thanks to which I no longer needed to boot up the game to hear it!)

Spectacular stuff.

I also have a soft spot for the music near the beginning of Monkey Island 2: the opening credits, the campfire theme and the marvellous Woodtick sequence with iMUSE showing its true nature!

yeah, the bone song is cool. i like the music that it plays right at the beginning of MI1.

wow! i can't believe how much i missed! four days not singing on, and this thing is made! i had this link in my favorites, and i clicked on it, and it didn't take me to the mi discussion. so i was freakin out, but luckily i clicked on the link in the announcement. or else i'd probably be crying right now.

*having little breakdow and crying a little* this is my family!

That reminds me.

The most disappointing part of EMI for me was finding that they just reused the old main theme rather than making a new one. I was looking forward to hearing what they'd done with it this time, only to hear CMI's theme. :(

for any of you guitarists out there, i'd head over to worldofmi now. on today the 15th of february, the first news thingie there. i'm stating the date because at a later date, it wont be the first. it's actually under February 14. i think guitarist fans of Mi would love it. have fun (wish i could play guitar)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived