Home

JK: Jedi Academy Info, Pics and Discussion! (ancient)

els.DarkLord

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by leXX

I didn't play Mysteries of the Sith, although I wish I had.

You might still be able to find the JK1 and MOTS pack around somewhere. Since you are looking for a female lead for SW, I suggest you try it if you can. It is a great game!

Originally posted by Jolts

I'm not hyped yet, I see the same bad lighting, the same models recycled with little detail modification of course. Saber handles are the same models, and lighting is the same. Graphically this game won't hold a candle to kotor or swg even though they all have around the same polycount and texure size. Kotor and swg have better rendering engine for lighting and shaders, and that is more than half of what makes great graphics.

I knew it wouldn't take long for people to start ragging on JK3 :) I expect it is just an expansion, and not a completely new game. I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying, but I have no problems with the graphics of JO. I thought it looked good. And really, great graphics does not a game make :)

And as far as KOTOR and Galaxies go, they won't really have FPS lightsaber combat, so I'll stick to JO and JK3 for that!

Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ

meh, can't win 'em all :)

but you never know, saber combat may turn out to be balanced AND fun...

Anakin I think that is why there keeping the source code from us. This may be a set back but shouldnt effect us to much. We could have Mp for JO and SP for JO2.

I wanna see those screenshots at full resolutiooooon!!! There was one link in here that claimed to have them, but only went to a blank index site...nothing there but the parent directory link. :( Anybody else have them? I want to analyize them in Photoshop. *grins evily*

Originally posted by Prime

I knew it wouldn't take long for people to start ragging on JK3 :)

Yeah, really, it's too early to criticize it. We haven't even played it yet. I bet when they're in there slicing up Tuskens with two lightsabers they will hardly be thinking of how the dynamic lighting doesn't work or whatever :rolleyes:.

Originally posted by DarkLord60

Anakin I think that is why there keeping the source code from us. This may be a set back but shouldnt effect us to much. We could have Mp for JO and SP for JO2.

I certainly hope so. That would explain the use of the Q3 engine again for those critics. Despite its apparent age, if the above is true, it helps modders greatly.

Guest Jolts

"I'm guessing this game will focus a lot on the saberfighting (as said already), and to this end, they need not change much. The surroundings, the dynamic lighting, the ragdoll physics, while neat, is not what makes a game such as this."

This game is based around the force and the lightsaber, that is very involving for physics, if any game needs good physics its a jeid game and racing sim games. Here is an example of how physics can effect gameplay on the lowest enjoyment level

http://halo.bungie.org/misc/warthogjumpmirrors.html

pull/push/throw all demand better physics than what JO had to offer. Its a complete and total gameplay booster no question about it.

Graphics to me are just as much apart of gameplay as how your weapons control. The lighting, the shading and reflective textures all create atmosphere that help suck you into the world, while the control helps make it more fun to be active in. You need it all, and game companies that can do both are rare and what make playing games worth it. What would a game like splinter cell be with out shadows and all the detail they put into that? all the stealth animations all the interactive pieces of garbage and lights?

This is just how I feel about games, I hate to see jedi fans keep getting ripped in this genre of gaming.

oh yeah, how about some maya modelling support, that would be rippin.

Posted by Dark Cloak

I wanna see those screenshots at full resolutiooooon!!! There was one link in here that claimed to have them, but only went to a blank index site...nothing there but the parent directory link. :( Anybody else have them? I want to analyize them in Photoshop. *grins evily*

I've re-uploaded it here for ya :)

Those are the original scans that Hekx made the screenies from (which are now on display here :))

Originally posted by GonkH8er

3 styles? does that mean only 1 style for each lightsaber option? as in, no more red blue yellow for 1 saber, etc?

I hope not... I hope there's 3 styles for each saber option...

i reaaaaaally hope that you can only chose say 2 out of the 3 possible lightsaber battles. havbing your opponent do the castrate-to-decapitate move then death from above then the yellow jumping one in a row just takes away the moves sweetness. if each player was limited to their lightsaber stuff and could NOT do all of them, the characters woudl be more unique, the game woudl be fresher, and i believe people would spend more time developing each lightsaber style rather then just doing a select 2 or 3 moves from all 3.

Lord_Plo_Koon:

Please stop making every post on this fourm a ad for your "site".

its not very appealing, and not allowed by the rules.

Hey. Could someone donate me 800 credits so I can put a pic in my sig?

PS Check out this fan page: Jedi Knight III Fan Page

this is not valid content for this thread. and certanly not three times in 15 posts.

you MAY have the link in your sig, by all means, but please do NOT make more posts on this subject. you may find posts of your's begining to be removed unless you comply.

Thank you, and we now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Originally posted by C'jais

And how do you expect them to do that?

you know what i mean... or you ought too :p

anyway, seeing as though it looks like you don't, i mean i want to be able to preform pretty much anymove anywhere, (asides wall kicking and such). i don't like having to have an opponent in a certain position to be able to do a move.

Very exiting!

This sounds true enough to me (and it has Gonk's seal of approval too!).

Alot of the information in that article seems a little bit much though. I mean, I'm all for depth and lots and lots of options (more is better), but look at everything they're trying to do -- and they're supposedly already 60% finished!:

Atleast 3 playable races (I got the impression of 5 or so). If this is in single player then that means at the VERY LEAST they'll have to have 6 seperate voice recordings in the entire game for each species and each gender (we can't have a male wookie sound like a female twi'lek, now can we?). Also, given that their is a dark and light side that means that our main character will be interacting with different people, therefore saying different things. That seems like a heck of alot of voice recordings. But still quite possible I suppose.

Levels that are often twice the size of JK: II. Much more lively levels. Not only that, but you get to choose what mission you do... When JKII was a long time coming out they were saying that Jedi Outcast probably won't be QUITE as long as JK1; now they're coming out and saying that the levels may be twice the length? If they can pull it off then fine I suppose.

Fairly detailed character costumization.

More vehicle combat and piloting, AND ridable creatures.

3 different kinds of lightsaber fighting, whith presumably 3 stances for each style. That's alot of saber animations to make.

I don't know, but it hasn't been all that long since JKII has been released, and they're already at 60%, and expect to release it by Fall. All I can think is they must have either been working on this project under wraps for a long time, or else they have an extreemly large and talented developer team (or maybe alittle of both).

Anyways, enough of my speculating on the comments made on an article which may not be totally correct. I don't really trust anything this early unless it comes from the mouth of a developer (or a Gonk). You know the way things get unintentionally twisted so early...

But I wouldn't mind commenting on what I CAN see... the pictures.

At first I thought the pictures were awesome... but only because this was my first look at JK3. But in reality they don't really show much, and what they do show is probably a bit misleading. If you recall the FIRST pictures of JKII were VERY different from the finished product. In the first screenshots they showed a level which was never included in the actual game... It showed pictures of stormtroopers that were very different than those of the finished game (ie; too big helmets). The Lightsaber trails were also kind of screwed up and a host of other odd things; such as a picture with huge flash where Kyle is fighting what appears to have turned out to be Tavion in a hanger with a reflective floor which we never saw.

Still, considering that the first pictures of JKII were given a year before its projected release, and these screenshots are given supposedly 6 months before it's projected release, than maybe these pictures really are of things which we will see in the game. Alot of it looks pretty well designed, such as those dark jedi in the top left hand corner. Most of the locales also seem pretty well detailed. However... Look at the section for levels, where it says: innenlevels; the picture to the right of the first one looks identical to the level where you fight Tavion, does it not?

The look of the outside areas look alot like MotS to me... So does alot of the indoor areas. Anyone else feel the same?

Anyways, this is really interesting news, and very exiting to say the least. Still, this is too early for me to know what to make of it. I like alot of the ideas presented in that article, but I don't want to get my hopes up about anything at the moment.

Why don't everyone stop dissing the Quake 3 engine and start some real discussion about JKIII. It seems nowadays, after the WOW factor is over, people turn to ranting...

this post is in no way aimed at any specific individual or group, it is just a general observation

Not ranting. Just comenting on the reality of the situation. As there is no real information to base actual comentary, I am going with what is obvious. It is clear that it is using the engine still, and I am familiar with the engine and JK2's use of it. None of us are really familar with the gameplay and such in JK3.

The game may be fun, but I don't know about it. I am just trying to think of the future of it. You may not see it as a limit to creativity, but I already have seen levels released for JK2 that don't work as well as they could.

Seriously, I would love to see this changed. I just don't expect it. Time will tell if other things are improved, perhaps negating the need to change real dynamic lighting. But as it stands, this is just what I see. Rather than caring about the color of skin and lightsaber blades, I look at the technology.

Just throwing in my two cents.

Archived