Home

JK: Jedi Academy Info, Pics and Discussion! (ancient)

els.DarkLord

one thing i'd like to say about JKIII is that so far, the models look great. one thing i didn't like about JKII was that it seemed as though all the characters were scrawny and had no shape... these look more athletic and shapefull heh. like kyle in JK1 looks alot buffer and better then JK2 imo. JK3 looks great again. :D

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello. I admire how much work I could see being put into JK3. However, I think that there should be some stuff included by some of the "expert" mappers and modelers out there.

If they could be converted into the new JK3 format, if there is any conversion to do, I would really like to see it be done.

Nar Shaddaa More Nar

Mace Windu

etc.

Maybe you could include something made by some of these people, or ask them to help out in it. In my opinion, I think that some of the maps these people make are better than the standard maps. Also the stories could be a bit more creative in the standard maps.

Originally posted by ryudom

these look more athletic and shapefull heh. like kyle in JK1 looks alot buffer and better then JK2 imo. JK3 looks great again. :D

I am not sure that all characters should look athletic. You should like in the universe have different kind of shape. I don't imagine Yoda or Yarael athletic, they will not be the same as the ones we know.

Originally posted by C'jais

Dj Chocolate:

Why would a jedi ever use his fists when he has a god damn lightsaber instead?

Beats me.

Obi Wan had to use his fists when he lost his lightsabre. So the play could use fists when he has lost his.

Emon: You're absolutely right. JK3 is a first person shooter. I actually have yet to see an RPG that has good game physics (unless you play White Wolf games table top like I do...you can create your OWN physics ;)). I hope JK3 doesn't turn out to be an RPG in some twisted way. Ick. I apologize for dragging out the whole ragdoll physics thing. :) It was a bit much. Oh well.

I am not sure that all characters should look athletic. You should like in the universe have different kind of shape. I don't imagine Yoda or Yarael athletic, they will not be the same as the ones we know.

i didn't say that :p, i just said overall, most charecters were weak looking. or thats what i meant anyway. anway i look forward to playing a buff character, or at least some muscle tone heh

@Raven

why haven't you made any kind of patch/bonus pack/something else for jedi-knight 2 since june 2002?

There are a couple of bugs and things to change that really suxx in MP and killed fun and u haven't made anything for 9 months...

For Jk3:

Please, please, please make MORE maps for MP. It's a joke to play a game more than a year on 4 official ctf_maps. The FFA Maps are also a joke for weapon players. There aren't enough ammonition and the playces of weapons and the other stuff really suxx.

So please take some time to make good and many Maps for MP, and if there aren't enough u should give us more with a patch! That Duel Maps in ~1.03 were nice, but who need them really, the gameplay didn't changed with them, it was the same on other backround (i mean making more and more duel maps doesn'T make sense).

I read that u want that the saber have more influence into the gameplay, but pelase not as it is now! Have you ever played ctf saber only? You need mostly over 20 Minutes to kill an enemy flagcarier (ok maybe ~5). But that saberstuff doesn't harm anybody really hard, so you must hit somebody many times. But there's around many healthpacks, shields, etc. so you can't kill anybody who is a good runner.

So please let the good weapon-fights in the game and make the saber stronger in ctf/ffa.

Maybe you must separate Saber in Duels and Saber in Ctf or Weapon games. The strength of the saber in the duels was cool but playing saber and weapons is like a bad joke! Make two different strengths of the saber, a bit lower in duel mode, so the duels are interesting. But make the saber stronger in Weapon and CTF Games, because nobody use it. If you need 1-2 hits in a weapon game it will be the best you can do. Like in 1.03 with the backslash, if you was able to handle the backslash in a fight, you could kill a weapon user, but with 1.04 you can't even harm one.

Soory for my bad english, i'm tired and i'm from germany, but i have played jk2 since February 02 and know some stuff that is cool or not :-)

What about having more hand to hand combat fighting, as mentioned before. Not just fists, but maybe some kicks (real kicks), and throws and stuff, like when Obi was fighting Jango in AotC on Genosis. This would open up a new style of fighting, and could add much more depth to multiplayer, with people choosing skills in hand to hand combat. (without going Jedi)

Originally posted by ckcsaber

What about having more hand to hand combat fighting, as mentioned before. Not just fists, but maybe some kicks (real kicks), and throws and stuff, like when Obi was fighting Jango in AotC on Genosis. This would open up a new style of fighting, and could add much more depth to multiplayer, with people choosing skills in hand to hand combat. (without going Jedi)

Exactly ... but make it a side-on 3rd person view, then one of the maps could be the streets of Japan, called JKIII:Mortal Kombat ;)

Seriously, I think that this is one of those basically good ideas that could kill the game. You would need saber-alternate animations and AI and physics for kick/punch/blocks. I just don't see the ROI (return on investment) in doing that ... not that it wouldn't cool - I would have head-butted Dessan given the chance ;)

Mike

Hmm, I see your reasoning, but I'm talking about having this as an option for non-jedi characters. Instead of people just running around with guns and such, they could have an option of letting the fists fly when they run out of ammo. I know my “idea” about having kicks and throws involved is a bit farfetched, but the option to punch should definitely be made. It wouldn’t require that much work, I’m thinking, and would add more variety. Plus it looks kinda lame seeing ppl running around w/stun batons.:p:D

i'd be happy with fists heh

on another note, i think it would be cool if secondary fire for lightsaber wasn't saber throw.

oh! come to think of it saber throw in general is terribly over used. imo saber throw should be used rarely, and only if you can catch an oponent off guard. a possible solution would be if the sabers collided, you could counter the saber throw (like strong to strong in JK2) and the thrown saber would fall to the ground. maybe it could only be recovered if your withing a certain range. also maybe it should have more of a delay before throwing.

another thing that just came to mind is countering. i really liked it in JK2, and for those who don't know what i'm talking about, i'm talking about when someone swings at you, and at the point of impact (saber to saber) you attack to counter the blow.

what i'd like to see in JK3 is possibly more of a window to counter (not much more) and possibly a small set up time as well. an example would be something like this: pressing primary and secondary attack at the same time would start the countering and then you could counter a blow coming .2 to .4 seconds after. something like that anyway.

either way, i found it pretty hard to counter in JO, maybe i just needed to put some more time in to master the skill.

on another note, i think it would be cool if secondary fire for lightsaber wasn't saber throw

I agree, I didnt even get why raven made the sabre throw as a secondary fire for jk2.

Sure its easier, but having another attak as secondary would give the ability 2 perform more moves (if they made any combos for the seconday attack, that is).

I'm of two minds on this ... (both regarding SP)

On the one hand I like having easy access to saber throw, and it became much more useful in JKII.

On the other hand, should it? Shouldn't it be for very occasional use, a utility toss? And wouldn't secondary fire be better used as a 2nd attack mode for the saber? Hmmm ... interesting ...

Mike

It's been a while since I've posted anything here. The jk3 announcement was certainly enough to get me to drop in and leave my 2 cents.

All I want to say to the dev team is that a lot of work has gone into making mods that made the game deeper and more enjoyable. They added/changed/removed a lot of things that really needed altering. Please do not ignore them. Although it sounds like the game is already in the late development stages, which could mean that everything's pretty much set in stone, so any ignoring of the jk2 mod community would have been long since done.

The lightsaber combat is the core of any jk game. Please make sure that jk3 has greater depth than jk2 did. The straight jk2 1.04 game had so few truly useful options in multiplayer. That needs to be resolved in jk3 if jk3 is to succeed as a multiplayer game. I could offer a massive list of suggestions, but they probably wouldn't get read anyway. So here's a real short one:

1. Make the stances have their own strengths and weaknesses, with no once stance being the "uber"-stance. That will just lead to everyone using the same stance over and over again in multiplayer--to do otherwise would leave you at a disadvantage.

2. Implement different character classes than just jedi. The whole issue of Jedi shooting rocket launchers is completely contradictory to the Star Wars universe, and it made those who liked stepping into the shoes of a "pure saberist" jedi a free kill for anyone with a Golan or Merr-Sonn. Use character classes to limit weapon, equipment, armor, health and force power availability.

I'll leave it at that. There's tons more I'd like to see, but if just those two were done, it'd improve things over jk2 immensely.

I think it's great to have the saberthrow on a button that is easy to use, but I also think that it would be great to have a second attack or manual block for the lightsaber on the right mouse button. So I think the best solution for those who have a mouse with three buttons would be to set the saberthrow on the third mouse button (usually the wheel button) and leave the right mouse button to second attack or block.

Yeah I too think it''s strange that the 2nd mouse button is reserved for saber throw. I didn't like the power that much either, it would come in handy once in a while, but nothing more...

I like the idea of the FAKK2 2 handed system, what function would it have if you don't use 2 sabers?? A saber AND a gun at the same time seems a bit like overkill to me!

But maybe you could still do this. With duel sabers you'd use the left mousebutton to use the saber in your left hand and the right mousebutton for the one in your right. For single saber, however, the right mouse button could give you extra attacks, thus giving the single saber a significant advantage...

I hope you know what I mean, but I think it's a reasonable idea!!

Of course those of us with multi-button mice can program what we want ... the thing is to make use of the 2nd mouse button for a unique attack mode.

As for Artifex's comments - very nice. I'm not a MP person, but I think your comments are useful and respectful. From the GamesDomain interview, it seems that new stances have been added, and they are very aware of the mod community.

Mike

Originally posted by ArtifeX

It's been a while since I've posted anything here. The jk3 announcement was certainly enough to get me to drop in and leave my 2 cents.

All I want to say to the dev team is that a lot of work has gone into making mods that made the game deeper and more enjoyable. They added/changed/removed a lot of things that really needed altering. Please do not ignore them. Although it sounds like the game is already in the late development stages, which could mean that everything's pretty much set in stone, so any ignoring of the jk2 mod community would have been long since done.

From the interview at GamesDomain with Raven...

GD: So you've kept an eye on the mod community and listened to them for JKIII?

JZ: Yeah, we've been listening to them. Some of the new features in Jedi Knight III came from feedback.

So there you go...they have taken a lot of stuff on board. Anyway, check this thread for a link to the interview. ;)

Originally posted by HertogJan

But maybe you could still do this. With duel sabers you'd use the left mousebutton to use the saber in your left hand and the right mousebutton for the one in your right. For single saber, however, the right mouse button could give you extra attacks, thus giving the single saber a significant advantage...

Interesting thought ...

All I know is that they have their work cut out for them - they now have 3 possible saber 'types', multiple stances - new ones added, possibility of combos with Force Powers, and so on ... and they have to BALANCE the whole thing! Just for SP it is quite a challenge - you want the game to be fun and challenging but winnable. For MP it is another dimension.

... I have just been thinking how happy I am that winter is over, now I can't wait until fall ... ;)

Mike

Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ

Sounds interesting, i'm worried about the state of multiplayer with all these "improvements", seems to me its going to become too complex for its own good...

But, if Raven actually use the concept of multiplayer tests prior to release, we might just end up with a game we can all enjoy.

Agreed. I spent a few days on the single player, and liked it, but I spent months on the multiplayer aspect. I'd like to see it get the attention it deserves.

Archived