Home

JK: Jedi Academy Info, Pics and Discussion! (ancient)

els.DarkLord

Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ

Sounds interesting, i'm worried about the state of multiplayer with all these "improvements", seems to me its going to become too complex for its own good...

But, if Raven actually use the concept of multiplayer tests prior to release, we might just end up with a game we can all enjoy.

Agreed. I spent a few days on the single player, and liked it, but I spent months on the multiplayer aspect. I'd like to see it get the attention it deserves.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that it would be fairly nifty if you could break out of a saberlock with a swift backhand/other punch, or a knee to your enemy's chest, or headbutt...or something. That would spice up the combat a bit. :) Kinda like what Qui-Gon Jinn did in Episode 1 to Darth Maul (even though they weren't in a lock)...elbowed him in the stomach and then pimp-slapped him (sorry...couldn't think of a more appropriate phrase ;)) across the face. That...was cool.

Originally posted by ArtifeX

Agreed. I spent a few days on the single player, and liked it, but I spent months on the multiplayer aspect. I'd like to see it get the attention it deserves.

Or ... at least have LEC define the attention it will get, and tell people. Is it SP 1st, MP 2nd? The reverse? Are they actually trying to make both 'equal priority' (sorry, enough years project management experience to know that doesn't work well)? Or ...?

Mike

2. Implement different character classes than just jedi. The whole issue of Jedi shooting rocket launchers is completely contradictory to the Star Wars universe, and it made those who liked stepping into the shoes of a "pure saberist" jedi a free kill for anyone with a Golan or Merr-Sonn. Use character classes to limit weapon, equipment, armor, health and force power availability.

:rolleyes: Kyle Katarn is a Jedi. Kyle Katarn uses guns. Kyle Katarn is a character in the Star Wars universe. A rocket launcher is a gun. Jedi shooting rocket launchers is not contradictory to the Star Wars universe. QED.

This gets brought up so much and I find it very annoying that some people seemingly want to force their ideas of what these games should be on others. A new class-based MP gametype would be cool. But if they force people to choose between using guns or using the Force in normal FFA/CTF games, it would kill the DF series.

Originally posted by Jeff 42

:rolleyes: Kyle Katarn is a Jedi. Kyle Katarn uses guns. Kyle Katarn is a character in the Star Wars universe. A rocket launcher is a gun. Jedi shooting rocket launchers is not contradictory to the Star Wars universe. QED.

You don't play Kyle Katarn in this game.

You are not a mercenary in this game.

You play a jedi padawan in this game.

QED.

Originally posted by Jeff 42

I was talking about multiplayer (i.e. whether or not we should be able to be gun-toting Jedi in MP).

Ahh... fair point.

Still, given that the whole game is supposed to be designed with the saber in mind, I think it's obvious if it's the most powerful weapon.

But, they did mention a truckload of guns to go with the saber - even more than in JK2.

I'm guessing that no Jedi has picked up a blaster besides Kyle...since Luke did. ;) I mean, keeping a pistol with you...that's not a bad thing, just in case something happens and you're unable to use the Force, and your lightsaber is out of commission.

I guess we'll all just have to wait and see how it turns out. There's so much they could do to make this series good again.

Anyone else got their fingers crossed?

Personally - and I'm almost as much SP biased as you are MP biased - I think JKII was objectively one of the 3 or 4 best 'post half-life' action games, and the reviews reflect that. Subjectively it is my favorite game ever - not perfect, just my fave.

'Good again' doesn't relate to that. It relates to your desires for MP. I assume the MP for JK1/MotS is your metric for 'good'? (innocentt question, only played MP for JK1 once, and that was post-JK2 release).

Mike

I wouldn't like to see "gun totin'" Jedi. Twould' be cooler if there were specific character types.

i think i read that they were going to make a classed based gametype, and alot of people like gun toting jedis so i don't see why they'd only make class based. the games sounds really good accually. i think i'm gonna try to go in "ignore mode" until it comes out to avoid any more spoilers heh

i object to the fact they let you carry more hardware than the canadian army ;)

seriously. i think its ridiculous that they still produce games where the player carries every single gun they collect. take a leaf out of the halo book of gamage.

Raven blows. Ken blows. Go get yourself a copy of JK2 and enjoy the comedy of the game such as sabres passing through your opponent that dont register damage(oops, we forgot the defence animations), or how about that sabre that hits you 30ft away(nice netcode)... Raven is second rate. Ken is a over glorified graphics person and his netcode abilities as seen in previous games leave a lot to be desired. You want a game with server side prediction that fails to inform your pc of where a person is, go get this game when it comes out. If you are just really in for a hard on for graphics get this game. If you are looking for any type of precision in netcode, this ain't going to be it. Raven's netcode is a shambles and Raven is perceived by lots as a company that leaves lots of things unfinished. JK2 1.04, still has all the problems I mentioned above. Nobody responds on any technical issues or even remotely talks about patch. 1.04 came out and that was it.

Be prepared for yet another prediction chaos game. Search for your opponents with sabre swings.

Trust me, borrow a copy of JK 2. Play with a friend, test out the above, you will see it to be true.

Want to see a shooter with the same kinds of issues made by Raven, go get Soldier of Fortune 2. What a disaster, shooting all over the place to hit your opponent, point blank shotgun blasts that register no damage. Tents that are bullet proof, cheats, exploits even with protection in place people still cheat.

And watch as this post gets deleted. But what a shame for Lucas to hire these guys again... I guess the price was right for Raven, cheap.

All I can say is, get JK2 and play it. That's what you can expect in JK 3. You will see the above is all true. Oh and don't buy the game, rather borrow it from a friend. Save your money. Unfortunately I lost mine.

Really too bad Raven is doing this one, I hoped Lucas would go with a better company. One that finishes what it started.:rolleyes:

Anyone else got their fingers crossed?

Fingers, toes, eyes...you name it!!!

I'm so darn excited about having playable vehicles! This has been a wish of mine for a long time in the StarWars games. The ultimate would be the blending of JKII style shooters & the X-Wing series style games into a single gametype. I realize we may still be a ways off from that, but anything heading in that direction is VERY COOL INDEED!!!

I'm also looking forward to using the Maul type saber staff & dual sabers. It would be really cool in MP if the Maul type staff could be broken & the player would then automatically default to one of the other stances (as in episode1).

On the technical side, it would be nice to have true analog controller support. I don't know if it is really possible with the game engine, but it would be cool.

I know everyone is throwing out 1,000 suggestions a minute, but I would like to add a few of my own:

1- Multiplayer levels:

A-Hidden "Saga" gametype levels shipped with JKIII - There's only one for JO, probably cuz people don't really understand it.

B-as D-IQ said, more than 4 CTF levels, and give the levels the ability to play single flag CTF (is this what CTY is? I've never played CTY)

C-Ability to script in MP. For instance, the original JK had cog, and people used that to create great new level types like Infiltrate!, and to port over other game's level types like Domination from UT. (of course, this might be tough, since it could be easier to cheat with MP scripting.

D-Co-Operative levels, with the ability for the mapper to control how many players would be in level, by how many spawn points or whatever, (so that some missions would just be a Jedi and his padawan, and others can be an all out battle) and have checkpoints so if you die, you don't have to catch up. I can see a problem develop synching everything up in co-op. I would assume it would use a lot of bandwidth, but at least allow a 2-4 player co-op.

2-Other stuff

A-at least 2 lightstaff and two saber stances

B-a underhand stance and two saber underhand stance (like Adi Gallia has in Jedi Power Battles for PSX and Dreamcast)

Looking great so far!!!

It's unfair to flame Fluke, we are afterall all entitled to an opinion which should be respected. If someone doesn't like something that you like, feel thankful that you got a better experience out of it.

Personally I'm glad Raven are doing the new one. The two SoF games and Jedi Outcast provided enjoyable Single Player campaigns and I believe they are a competent developing studio and one of the best out there for this genre.

Originally posted by AKPiggott

It's unfair to flame Fluke, we are afterall all entitled to an opinion which should be respected.

Sorry, but if Fluke can voice his unnuanced, insulting, uncostructive "criticism" of an opinion, then so can f*ckin' I.

You can't expect to simply waltz in here, rage and personally insult a Raven programmer for nothing, walk back out and assume people aren't going to give a damn.

I see your point though - but one of the lessons of life is that people are going to react when your're just being an ass.

Archived