Home

Siege Mode unveiled! *WARNING: spoilers*

StormHammer

Okay, I think this deserves it's own thread. Computer and

Video Games have just put up an interview with Raven...

and they have included 5 screenshots that can only

have been taken from the new Siege Mode.

Here are a couple of the screenshots...

vortal_pic_105993.jpg

This is apparently a Hoth map...where you will play as Rebels vs Imperials in a fight to secure Echo base (according to the interview)

vortal_pic_105996.jpg

This is apparently a fight for a Jedi temple.

vortal_pic_105998.jpg

This one confirms that you can ride swoop bikes in Siege mode.

Here are some links to other screens showing the same format..

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/screenshots_library/dir_211/vortal_pic_105991.jpg

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/screenshots_library/dir_211/vortal_pic_105997.jpg

That last one shows a zoomed in sniper gun...and warns that "The Wall is Under Attack!"

As you can see in these screenshots...there is a 'radar' at the top indicating the locations of key objectives. There is also a clock (which I assume is a 'countdown clock'), which seems to bear some similarity to UT's Assault mode, in that achieving certain objectives is timed.

Your frag score is displayed down the bottom.

I have already updated the FAQ with the following information from the recent PC Zone article...

Siege mode is a new MP mode that is team-based, class-based and objective-based. It has been likened (in a recent review) to the Enemy Territory style of play in Return To Castle Wolfenstein. The following classes will be available:

Assault

Heavy Weapons

Demolitions

Scout (sniper)

Tech

Jedi

Each class will have a restricted set of weapons and equipment they can use, which will also be dependent on which side of the Force you choose (Lightside or Darkside). For the Scout class, for example, you will be able to use a Cloaking device (for Light Side), or a Jet Pack (for Dark Side). Other classes will have access to things like deployable shields, laser sentry cannons, Bacta canisters, and hovering Seeker Drones.

Feel free to discuss at your leisure. ;)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stormy, very nice! :)

I love Enemy Territory, and the option of having a class (Personally I'd be a Tech). And is that a Snowtrooper in the first pic there? Snowtroopers are the best :D

Reclaimer, please stay on topic....or post with something that even makes sense....:rolleyes:

I really hope there is an option (and it is on by default) limiting the # of certain classes per team.

In other games the option is there so as to limit "whoring" of certain classes (like in ET having 19 panzer guys on a team can really screw up a game).

But in JA I can kind of see everyone flocking to be "Jedi" so as to live out their star wars fantasies and those of us who are just there to play kind of getting screwed by it.

If the objectives are very "job specific" (as in only X class can win the map, like in ET you simply must have an engineer to win on the offensive team) it's going to suck if you need two or three classes to complete an objective but every other member your team is running around pretending to be darth chewbacca.

True. But remember...the non-jedi will have access to jetpacks and (I think) dual pistols. Perhaps not both at once, though. I hope the jetpack is balanced better than in, say, Forcemod II. Merc are a nightmare in large maps...they fly 300 yards straight up and just shoot and you can't get to them.

I can see this being a problem, though. Perhaps a limit to players per team, or a forced "add JediMaster bot" option to balance teams.

Hm, seige mode is starting to remind me of the "Movie Battles" mod for JK2, in which you chose to be a soldier, jedi, hero, or mandalorian, each having special qualities, weapons, and stats.

I don't think this needs spoiler blockage, but

the sniper picture shows that the disruptor rifle hasn't changed much if at all.

Oooh, it's getting harder and harder to wait to get my own copy. The new gamespot trailer also added to the anticipation. Come on, September 17th!

Originally posted by boinga1

True. But remember...the non-jedi will have access to jetpacks and (I think) dual pistols. Perhaps not both at once, though. I hope the jetpack is balanced better than in, say, Forcemod II. Merc are a nightmare in large maps...they fly 300 yards straight up and just shoot and you can't get to them.

I can see this being a problem, though. Perhaps a limit to players per team, or a forced "add JediMaster bot" option to balance teams.

Hmm....I've not played that mod, but I agree that there needs to be some balance where things like jet packs are concerned. While every piece of equipment should have an inherent advantage, it should also have some kind of weakness to compensate. So maybe the fuel for the jet pack is limited or something.

I'm also starting to wonder if all classes will be able to ride vehicles, or if that will be restricted to specific classes.

And taking up unnamed's point about team balance, I agree with that as well. However, I don't think there will be quite as many people all wanting to be 'Jedi'. While I enjoy having access to Force powers and lightsabers in FFA, for Siege I really wouldn't mind trying something completely different. Running and gunning would suit me fine. ;)

Anyway, perhaps if certain classes are needed to complete objectives, maybe these are automatically assigned to players as they join the game. Didn't RTCW have something like that? So each time you spawn back in, you assume the role that is needed, rather than the role you would necessarily want to play. That could go some way to ensuring you're team is not 'left short' of the necessary skills...

Well, the Forcemod II pack DID take fuel...but it's still outta wack.

And I think unnamed is concerned about the "H0N0UR4BL3 RPG'3Rs", rather than the...sane gamers. The idea of limiting vehicles to certain classes would be brilliant...but we've already seen a saber wielder on a swoop in siege, so that looks like a negative. :(

It would be better to have fixed limits set by the game on number of users of one class. That way you don't get abusive server admins that disable the Jedi class because they don't like getting owned by someone with a melee weapon.

And if it's balanced right, whoring a particular class should result in a pathetic loss.

Originally posted by Emon

And if it's balanced right, whoring a particular class should result in a pathetic loss.

I certainly hope so. :)

Perhaps an idea would be to set up a 'Training Ground' for new recruits to Siege, to show them the ropes, and place an emphasis on team play. This would be useful from the Clan perspective, but also for the more casual gamers.

Considering there are six main classes, I wonder how many a team will physically need to complete objectives. 4 out of 6, maybe? Or less? Each will obviously have strengths and weaknesses...which may even be dependent on the individual maps (each map might favour particular skill sets).

The more we know...the more we need to know. heh. :p

Originally posted by boinga1

Well, the Forcemod II pack DID take fuel...but it's still outta wack.

And I think unnamed is concerned about the "H0N0UR4BL3 RPG'3Rs", rather than the...sane gamers. The idea of limiting vehicles to certain classes would be brilliant...but we've already seen a saber wielder on a swoop in siege, so that looks like a negative. :(

Ehh kind of/sort of but not really.

You have "class based" games like DoD (Half-Life mod) where each class is basically the same thing but just different weapons.

Back in that mods early beta days everyone, and I mean everyone wanted to be a sniper.

But no matter what people picked the objective could still be won.

Then you have games like RTCW ET where, if every person wants to be a soldier and no one picks engineer, the map simply can not be won.

I'm not sure how dependant the objectives will be on the specific classes but if it is very dependant then there should be limits on how many "X" class a team can have.

The Jedi class was just an example.

Not to mention, like in RTCW they limit the # of panzer troops in a lot of servers because having a ton of them just makes the game one big mess.

In JA siege if say, they heavy weapons guys are "one man tanks" then limiting class #'s per side will make for a much better game.

Well, this ends the debate over whether or not the AT-ST is still in MP or not!

Also, in that last shot of the Rodian about to be Sniped, notice the Speeder bikes parked in a row behind him, sweet!

I wonder if those Hoth Turret Guns are manned or not? I'm guessing so, since there was a screenshot that looked like a "blaster cannon" (from the player's perspective) that now make me think it was one of those from the back.

I wonder what the symbols on the radar indicate? There seems to be a symbol for the "shield generator" (the one from ESB) on the Hoth map. The others might be Turret guns, or vehicles being used... maybe they are player locations, and it shows an icon showing what their driving?

Then again, the symbols could be "objectives" (ie: if your goal is to destroy the base, you have to wipe out everything it shows... the turrets, the generator, etc). I think I see an Ion Cannon to the far left, just partway out of the shot too. ; )

I am also assuming that the HUD for the vehicles uses the same scheme as the regular HUD (ie: red = health, green = shields, blue = force, orange = ammo). If that's TRUE of course, does that mean the Speeder bike has guns on it (if it shows ammo, when the user is clearly armed with Lightsabers)?

I wonder if Taun Tauns will be usable in Siege? Hope so...

Just thought of something else.. in that first Hoth shot, what are those shots being fired?

The big purple things are either coming from the Walker or from a guy on the ground you can barely see, but they don't look like any existing weapons fire.

AT-ST's fire either rockets, orange bowcastor like shots, or red blaster bolts.

Then there's the odd fire coming from the Snowtrooper (and his gun is hidden in front of him). It's YELLOW. What gun to do we know of that fires yellow shots? I would say the Bryar, but you don't have the Bryar anymore, do you?

Then again, perhaps the weapons have changed in subtle ways we don't know about yet. The blasters probably aren't color coded by team (purple vs. yellow? the teams are still Red vs. Blue if I'm not mistaken).

Then again, there's a few other confusing things in that shot. Why is the crosshair for the Snowtrooper green? Is he shooting at his own guys? Lol.

Then again, perhaps the yellow bolts are the Turret shooting AT HIM. His ammo isn't exactly depleted and there are a bunch of shots as if he squeezed off a few. Then again, his health is also full, so if he's getting hit, it must have just taken down his shields to zero. Though of course a lot of these could be explained by the people taking the shots using cheats or details on the shot colors that were not complete at press time, etc.

Originally posted by Kurgan

Then there's the odd fire coming from the Snowtrooper (and his gun is hidden in front of him). It's YELLOW. What gun to do we know of that fires yellow shots? I would say the Bryar, but you don't have the Bryar anymore, do you?

But theres a screenshot at the official site where you see a AT-ST and your DLL-44 in first person view, and it's firing yellow shots. I'm pretty dissapointed about that since in the movies the DLL-44 fires red shots (I also despite yellow as the color on blasts). :|

I wonder if those Hoth Turret Guns are manned or not? I'm guessing so, since there was a screenshot that looked like a "blaster cannon" (from the player's perspective) that now make me think it was one of those from the back.

I'm thinking you might be right. I would go out on a limb and say that something like the Tech class or maybe Heavy Weapons class would have to man large turrets. That's just a guess.

I wonder what the symbols on the radar indicate? There seems to be a symbol for the "shield generator" (the one from ESB) on the Hoth map. The others might be Turret guns, or vehicles being used... maybe they are player locations, and it shows an icon showing what their driving?

I think you're right about the Shield Generator...and the other greyish icon at the top I believe shows the building dead ahead.

I've just been looking at the 'Tatooine' like map, and I believe I've worked out what most of the icons are on that one. On the top left is the Millenium Falcon, next to that is a domed like structure representing the building straight ahead, at the 2 o'clock position is C-3PO's head, at the 3 o'clock position is C-3PO's arm, at the 4 o'clock position is a bacta tank (and something else I can't quite make out), at the 5 o'clock position is another bacta canister, C-3PO's leg, and just above it (inside the ring) is C-3PO's torso.

It looks to me like you have to find his parts and reassemble him :p

That rocks! I love the humour in that, Raven. :D

I am also assuming that the HUD for the vehicles uses the same scheme as the regular HUD (ie: red = health, green = shields, blue = force, orange = ammo).

I'm inclined to agree with you. ;)

I wonder if Taun Tauns will be usable in Siege? Hope so...

I certainly hope so too. I know that snowtrooper in the first shot is sitting on something, but I can't quite make it out. There is also a red bar off to the right - could that be the 'health' of a turret? I know the turret the guy is attacking is showing a green bar at the bottom - again...turret 'health'? Very intriguing.

Yeah? Okay, mystery solved then, it must be the BlasTech pistol he's firing at (his own?) Turret.

I agree about the energy shot colors. Of course, the Bryar pistol also fired red shots until JK2. And the BlasTech fired red in MotS.

You could always reason that whatever "modifications" were done to the two guns made them fire yellow/orange blasts instead of red (this might even be a new technological development, after all in the films we only see red, green, blue, and purple shots).

What about the purple shots?

I figured at first that the "vertical red bar" to the right of the Snowtrooper was simply a team indicator (notice how the Snowtrooper's HUD isn't red colored like it would be if this was JK2). I don't see it in the other shots (I do see a red tinted Speeder bike in the Tatooine shot and some indicators that are color coded on the radar), but perhaps it is only a prelim team indicator? Or as was stated, perhaps it is some kind of "health" for some objective (perhaps the object that they have to protect?).

[update] Stormy, now that I look at that picture more closely, it DOES appear as if the Snowtrooper is riding a Taun Taun. I just wonder why there is no "vehicle hud" like in past screenshots. Unless of course they differentiate the "live mounts" from "mechanical vehicles" and then the idea of the red being a "health bar" (since why would it have shields?) makes perfect sense.

Good eye...

What about the purple shots?

I've been puzzling over those as well. They appear to be coming from the ground, towards the AT-ST. And it occurs to me that they may, in fact, be Ion canon fire like we see from the DEMP2, except on a potentially larger scale. It would make sense to fire an Ion canon at an AT-ST.

Originally posted by StormHammer

. . . Siege mode is a new MP mode that is team-based, class-based and objective-based. It has been likened (in a recent review) to the Enemy Territory style of play in Return To Castle Wolfenstein. The following classes will be available:

Assault

Heavy Weapons

Demolitions

Scout (sniper)

Tech

Jedi

. . .

Quite a wonderful catch of the day, Stormhammer.

6 Classes! Awesome! Last that I heard was only 4 classes! :)

This could be a very great thing. I hope they implement server restrictions on the classes. It shouldn't be too much trouble.

I am curious to what the "Assault" class is. Also, are one of these classes skilled from the start with vehicle handling?

Something is clear now that is available in JA that wasn't in JK2: emplaced turrets in MP. Screenshots show this.

WTF was up with the claim by someone that AT-STs couldn't be used in MP. It seems by the screenshots that the claim is false.

LET THE DROOLING COMMENCE!

Archived