Home

Internet Spam has gone to far...

Bob Gnarly

I arrived home today eager to play CS on xbox Live to find out my internet isnt working. I call my ISP to find out and guess what, SPam, Spam, SPam, thats all they talked to me about, how a virus on my computer was sending out spam to random people without me even knowing abou this. I had to take hours out of my time to remove this Bull**** and finally came online. Im now looking for the best stuff to clean my computer or protect it so i guess im asking if any one knows of any Amazing programs that can protect my computer(I.e. Anti-Virus's, Protection)

I recommend a few things to those interested in reducing risks associated with privacy, spam, security and viruses.

[*]Use an anti-virus program like AVG, McAffee, or Norton (I like AVG

[*]Use a web browser like Opera 7 or Mozilla that will stop popups and has good security for javascripts, etc. Incidently, Opera has unique "mouse-gestures" feature that I'm am VERY addicted to (right-click, left-click to go back. Opposite to go forward).

[*]Use a non-Microsoft email client. There are many, many out there and the Opera and Mozilla browsers come with them. I use the Opera email client, natch.

[*]Download and set AdAware to run everytime you boot your computer. This will eliminate spyware and other crap from your registry and harddrive. If you have trouble with a certain P2P client, PM me and I'll help.

[*]Go to Shields Up! and check out how vunerable your computer is. See if you have open ports or sharing problems that can be exploited. This is a wonderful site and if you do nothing else, go here and see what it has to offer.

[*]Download and use a firewall program like ZoneAlarm. Then go back and run the Shields Up! test. You will notice a significant difference.

[*]Use any spam filters that you ISP might have already. Earthlink, for instance, has a good spam filter. If you have an MSN or Hotmail account, your screwed. Use Mail.com instead. Also, don't forward anything that has already been forwarded a gizillian times! Chain letters are spam! "Email this [insert sappy poem/note/dying child's wish here] to 10 friends and make a wish" is CRAP!!! Delete it! :D

[/list=1]

IF you have Win XP, also enable it's Internet Connection Firewall, and disallow any ICMP requests.

If you can find where to do this in Zone Alarm, let me know, so I can do it. The ICMP request is how those lovely script kiddies find poor souls to attack, it gives a positive response to a PING request.

Originally posted by Luke Sirra Jedi

Damn, its a real b**** when you get a virus on your pc. Try looking at Norton Antivirus software. Norton Antivirus is terrific!

Well, once apon a time, I got Red Faction of a friend, and it had a B**** of a Virus on it.(Couldn't open and exe. files.)

So we took it to town and got it fixed.

But the thing is Norton didn't even say there was a virus.

Thanks a lot for the shield ups link, it made me blush :

....But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities....

...All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.)....Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating, not a single packet was received (for all ports:There is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that a port (or even any computer) exists at this IP address)...

if norton didn't say anything then you probably did somethign wrong ;)

Originally posted by SkinWalker

Also, don't forward anything that has already been forwarded a gizillian times! Chain letters are spam! "Email this [insert sappy poem/note/dying child's wish here] to 10 friends and make a wish" is CRAP!!! Delete it! :D

ugh! I get tons of those from a former friend (no ask) because she actually believes those things "work"...pfhph...:mad:

and, PS, some of them with attatchments have little rogue codes waiting to rape your computer:eek: AUGH!

PS walking thru the internet without firewall/Norton(or something), as my father dear once said, is like jogging naked in Central Park at midnight with your hands tied behind your back.

:D

Originally posted by Darth Rythe

Well, once apon a time, I got Red Faction of a friend, and it had a B**** of a Virus on it.(Couldn't open and exe. files.)

So we took it to town and got it fixed.

But the thing is Norton didn't even say there was a virus.

I guess it all depends. You may not have had the latest virus definitions or the virus is one that disables antivirus software. I don't know.

I remember I had a W.32 Supova Worm Virus which I got through one of my mates from MSN. It was a program called 'Desktop shooting'. I downloaded it from my friend and ran the .exe, then got an error message, somthing like this: 0000000xFFFFFFFFFFFfh. I looked at this and thought, 'yep typical virus message'. I ran norton to see if it detected anything. It did, and listed the infected files (luckilly no system files, just files that extracted when I ran the program. Things like XXX, Quake, X-Box emulator, etc). I deleted the programs. Ran msconfig and disabled it from the startup. Finally I deleted it from the registry.

Norton is doing its job for me:).

Yes, Viruses suck ***! Luckily I usually check the Quarantine list in Anti-Virus to check for any suckas that may have blown past my defenses. Scan for possible viruses, download the fix, update the definitions=problem solved. ;)

Norton is definitely useful.

Ugh... I hate spam. I get Approximately 80+ each day which is just annoying to delete. It takes up space in my mail box which could be used for legit stuff. :jawa do you think some jawas will haul some of it away for me? I use Norton for my virus protection. So far it has found the w32 worm on my comp but that's it. I think I got it from another computer on my network. Damn viruses. Anyways, I haven't seen anything else since. I also installed ZoneAlarm and now I keep getting the intrusions from all the comps on the network lol. But it is secure for sure. It also blocked a few hacking attempts as well.

Archived