294 members have voted

1. 1. Is Revan Male or Female

• Male
    • Female
    • I don`t care....

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You may want to mark that as a spoiler in your post too, just in case there are people who are gonna be reading this who haven't played the game. This is, after all, THE big revelation of the game.

The tendency in fiction and especially in Star Wars is to have male villains (Darth Sidious, Darth Maul, Darth Tyrannus, Darth Vader - all the dark lords of the Sith in the movies are male), so the revelation comes as more of a surprise when the 'villain' is female. This comes out of a general misogynism (or at least a dismissal of the possibility of a strong female villain) in modern culture, but although it's based in prejudice it still has an effect. A male Darth Revan would have been more 'usual' and would not have been so shocking.

I disagree here. I don't know about you but when playing a game where you can choose your gender, I really do not expect that it has such a huge impact on the story line.

You are right though, games could use more females in important roles. But when you can choose your gender, that can't be used as an argument imo.

Male because even if Revan's female, she can NOT outrival Bastila. Besides, If Carth express the love to me, that will make me feel I'm like a, eh, you know, a g** since I'm a boy.

Now, what do you think how I would feel, if I had to play only with a male Revan? I'm a girl and telling Bastila that I love her feels... weird.

I've played both as males and females no problem. I currently somewhat prefer a female Revan, but the male option works just as well. Since I rarely play as myself in any games (if I did it would be a short game; killed the first time someone fired at me), so I see no need that the protagonist's gender have to match my own all the time.

I can identify with the protagonist even if I'm no Jedi, no skilled warrior, no natural leader and not living in a galaxy far away where spacetravel is as common as hopping on a bus. If the character's entire life and situation is so vastly different from mine, why be bothered by mismatching gender as well? I play as a fictional character, not as myself. :)

(Thus I don't close my eyes and press my lips against the screen when Bastila fades to black while playing male. I let the character do his thing. If I did, I'd have bigger reasons to feel weird than making my fictional character tell another fictional character that he loves her. :p)

(Thus I don't close my eyes and press my lips against the screen when Bastila fades to black while playing male. I let the character do his thing. If I did, I'd have bigger reasons to feel weird than making my fictional character tell another fictional character that he loves her. :p)

:lol: I might have done that when the Hardy boys were on TV and I was maybe 12, but even though Carth is a cutie, there are no lip-prints on my computer screen....

• 2 months later...

You can save Bastila is you forego the romance or play female, it's just a bit more difficult. The way the script works is that you have to make a score of 50 points or more to convince her suicide by saber brawl is not an option. Various conversation options can bring you closer or further from the goal.

And in terms of the K1's features:

1) Carth's dialogue tree is the largest in the game - 800K to Bastila's 600, and 75% of it is female-only.

2) Stanley Woo confirmed on the Bioware boards that Juhani's romance was supposed to be female-only, and if you patch your PC game, it IS female-only. So, the ladies again get something interesting the guys lose out on.

3) That third ending. Granted, you need to cheat a bit to get it. Still, the fact it's even there is telling.

So, we have two bonus features that are female-only and the largest dialogue tree in game is mostly female-only. Whereas, there is only ONE conversation with Bastila that is locked to female Revans. Seemed to me that would indicate a game that leaned female.

Now, K2?

1) Obsidian's own trailer and concept art declares Exile as male. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9zRNMMHjGA)

2) Atris's sheer venom and hostility take on a whole new dimension playing male. A female Exiles chose war. A male Exile chose the war *over her.* Suddenly, the doubts, the wanting him dead, and the bitterness make more sense.

3) Mical vs. Brianna - Brianna's arc starts with her being the shunned one - product of a shameful affair that doomed her parents, and sneered at by her legitimate half-sisters as the "least" of them. She is dedicated to Atris as the paragon she strives for. Yet, when she leaves with Exile she not only questions Atris's conclusions, but the idea that she is not even worthy of a name. It ends with her coming BACK to Telos as not only embracing both her Jedi and Echani blood, but as the one who bests her sisters, the shameful "least" no longer. Mical, and admittedly last-minute addition with most of his usefulness to Exile put on the cutting room floor, suffers by comparison. (Mind you, I think Mical's a GREAT character for fanfic, but not as a party member).

So, bottom line...I gotta wonder why LucasArts seemed to run counter to the game designers.

• 9 months later...

Well, to be fair I would say that a LSM Exile provides much more content in TSL, since it is more complete. Well, the same can almost be said about Revan, though the LSF Juhani romance thing does make things look more interesting, and Carth is not bad either... But the dialogue between Revan and Bastila is more suitable for LSM.

I personally liked the male Revan far more. I've played both genders, and male Revan just seemed right to me. I also hated Carth with a passion.

In TSL, I loved female Exile. I didn't have to feel all queasy about any annoying guys hitting on my character, since there are no real romances in the game. Atton hits on you, but that's much more tolerable than "I COULD LOVE YOU IF YOU GAVE ME THE CHANCE." to me.

Atton hits on you, but that's much more tolerable than "I COULD LOVE YOU IF YOU GAVE ME THE CHANCE." to me.

I think you could tell him to sod off to extinguish any romantic interest he might be developing at the earliest opportunity. The romances aren't mandatory as far as I remember. :)

Well, to be fair I would say that a LSM Exile provides much more content in TSL, since it is more complete. Well, the same can almost be said about Revan, though the LSF Juhani romance thing does make things look more interesting, and Carth is not bad either... But the dialogue between Revan and Bastila is more suitable for LSM.

I don't see that the amount of content for each gender matters. That's like saying a movie (or book, for that matter) is better if it's just longer.

Personally I like quality over quantity.

Female Revan may get more content in KotOR, but the romance bit with Bastila is just so better IMHO. Somehow "I love you so much that I'll let you kill me if you choose the dark side, because I could never bear to kill you" is so much more compelling than "remember the jedi code, Bastila..." YMMV.

As for the exile, I find the male romance better too. It doesn't really go anywhere for either gender, but Atris' twisted love for the male exile is classic romance-gone-bad and essential to the overall plot, whereas Sion's completely lust for the female exile just seems to me to be slapped onto game with no basis in the plot whatsoever :(

( Eep. Really my first post...heh.)

In all honesty, I'm fairly okay with whatever Revan is. Male, mostly the gender bias, and the romance with Bastila. Female, The relantionship with Carth and Juhani, and some of those comments to Carth. They're Priceless! (Hairless Wookie? :))

As for the Exile...I generally prefer Male, which has been mentioned for Atris' corruption, Brianna's arc, and well...the occasional relantionship with Visas. Of course..this is just me, and everyone is entitled to they're opinion.

Archived