Home

How Many Swampies Can Cook?

Darth Groovy

Now I am not talking pop-tarts, toast, or microwave dinners, I am talking about chopping meat, browning, seasoning, baking, sautee' that sort of thing. I would really like to know.

One of the fortunate things I learned in the NAVY was how to cook. SERIOUSLY! Before I joined the NAVY, I used to burn Campbell's soup. I found that by complimenting NAVY cooks, they would be so happy, that they would take me into the kitchen and show me how to put it all together. I actually enjoyed the free lessons, and got really involved! By the time I finished my enlistment, I came home, and started cooking breakfast and dinner for my parents, and it freaked them out...TOTALLY! To this day, they still admire my cooking, and I do cook when the opportunity arrises. I can cook almost anything, and I am equally good on the grill.

So do any of you cook? My specialty is tacos (not fancy, but I make so many people smile with my secret recipe for meat!)!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, cooking. One of the pleasures of life. What is more enjoyable in dining than eating a persona creation that you have put your heart and soul into, and know exactly the ingredients used(which is excellents in a nutritional sense)

I would like to divide my favourite modes of cooking into regional classification, and fave dishes

i)Turkish

*Yogurtlu Doner : succulent lamb, with tomato salsa, served with yogurt and hot turkish bread

*Lahmacun - flat bread with mince, spices, sorta like a pizza

*Samsun Pide - similar to Lahmacun, different combo of spices

*Bulgur Kofte - wheat shell, filled with succulent lamb mince, onion, parsley, spices of choice

*Firinda Makarana - similar to a pasta bake

ii)Indian

*Chicken makhani - butter chicken with yogurt and tomato gravy

*Lamb Korma - a lamb curry !

*Chicken Tikka - Chicken fillet cooked tandoori style

iii)Greek

*Mousaka -

*Pasticia - similar to firinda makarna(see Turkish)

*Dolmades - vine leaves stuffd with mince, rice

*Yemista - Hollowed capsicum stuffed with mince, rice etc

iv)Italian -

*Chicken Alfredo

*Chicken Cacciatore

*Bruschetta - oven baked bread, with pesto, diced tomatos/vegetables, dressing with balsamic vinegar :D

*PIZZA !

I can do a little mexican too, but live too close to a great mexican restaurant to be bothered going to the trouble :D

mtfbwya

I can manage myself most of the time. I´m not a master cook but I can make myself a decent meal when its needed. Varying from a special egg going to potatoes with tomatoes and corn and ending by making my own pizza :D

i have been cooking for 14 years in restaurants, kitchen mgr of outback steakhouse for 5 years and a ton of experience in culinary fine dining... here are some things to water your mouth.

Peppercorn crusted Rack of lamb w/ butternut squash risotto asparagus rolls and a red wine demi/goat cheese fondue

lemon peppered chicken and rotel rotini

black and blue filet with a caramlized onion and pepper cream sauce

crab mornay crusted rainbow trout with a key lime salsa and buerre blanc sauce

foi grae on a bed of grilled squash/zuchini topped with a turbo dog beer demi sauce

and the almighty sloppy chicken sandwich: grilled chicken breast topped with brie cheese stacked with 3 fried green tomatoes and a crab and crawfish spicy creole sauce...

time to get yo munch on....

p.s. i can take any 3 items in a kitchen and make a culinary dish out of them muhahaha......kinda like i can take any 3 items in your house and make a bong out of them... rofl!

Originally posted by Nalukai

i have been cooking for 14 years in restaurants, kitchen mgr of outback steakhouse for 5 years and a ton of experience in culinary fine dining!

a. Does that mean you are another fellow aussie ? :D

b. I think you should be appointed Swamp Chef.... :D

sounds nice :D

mtfbwya

nah i live on the Gulf coast in Mississippi near New Orleans.. so mah speciality is Cajun cookin--- I GAR-ON-TEE

heres some more for you:

Habenero Rainbow trout topped with a roasted tomato and Garlic Hollandaise sauce..

marinate your steaks in Orange Juice.. Bass Beer ... and Tabasco for 6 hours prior to cooking...

for the record Pizza is not Italian its american first true pizza came from Chicago. Italy had the Pizzaria- which was a bread- like pizza instead of a raised dough crust.

You can convert a Japanese Stir Fry to a Thai Stir-Fry by adding Peanut butter to it.

ah MUSAKA!!! greek food indeed.. A Yuro with a cucumber sauce topped with feta cheese n spinach is the shizzle- dont forget your black pepper and garlic salt... tons of it!

an perfect omlet is made with 2 eggs instead of 3 and you saute your ingrediants in it before you add the whipped egg yolks rather than stuffing them inside a folded one, and add a teaspoon of tabasco to the eggs for heat and color.

Garlic Bread.... margerine,garlic powder even coverage, basil and paprika

like gravy... try a white cream gravy- ground beef/or bacon fat heated down add in a teaspoon of chicken base TbL of flour and a 1/2 cup of whipping cream

and dessert..... Banana Split Napaleon-the perfect Brunch dessert:

3 pancakes stacked with sliced bananas in between- criss crossing maple, blueberry, and strawberry syrups with a scoop of vanilla on top instead of butter....

I make stoners happy.......:D

I can cook, but my parents don't let me.

So I tell them what I want.

I make a mean butter shrimp.

Melt butter in a pan.

Add shrimp.

Squeeze 2 maybe 3 lemons in, depending on how much sourness you want >_>

Add a pinch of salt and pepper.

Leave the shrimp in there for a while.

Serve with white rice.

And if these directions are too hard for you... you're a fool ^_^

Archived