Home

Favourite Movie?

Evil Dark Jedi

Kain's Top 10

10: The Matrix(the first one, not the series)

9: The Big Hit

8: Return of the Jedi

7: The Fifth Element

6: The Waterboy

5: Underworld

4: Major Payne

3: The Punisher

2: Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

And Kain's number one pick*drrrrrrrrrumrrrrrrrrrroll*

Billy Madison

Mind you this is just how they came to me...cept I had to type em in reverse order. I haven't really weighed em for actual rank.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by ET Warrior

I personally think Fight club is one of the most over-rated films ever. Everyone you talk to heralds it as one of the most brilliant movies ever, and it really bored me to tears :dozey:

Was it people always telling you the movie is much better the second time you watch it? ;)

Some other movies I enjoy, in no particular order:

Jurassic Park 1 and 2

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (my favorite out of all of them)

The Birds

The Fly 1 and 2

They Live!

And to choose my favorite out of the 3 big series, I would have to say:

LotR FotR

Star Wars ESB

Matrix 1

But it really doesn't mean anything, they're all good :p

Originally posted by IG-64

3 big series,

With you so far ...

LotR

Check.

Star Wars

Check.

Matrix

Cognitive dissonance!

Having 3 movies, one of which is good, the other two are basically 'big boom + pseudo-intellectual philoso-babble', a big series does not make ...

Mike

Originally posted by txa1265

With you so far ...

Check.

Check.

Cognitive dissonance!

Having 3 movies, one of which is good, the other two are basically 'big boom + pseudo-intellectual philoso-babble', a big series does not make ...

Mike

I agree with you actually, in fact I was questioning myself on weather to include matrix. I ended up including it because it's popularity.

Originally posted by txa1265

Cognitive dissonance!

:explode:

:p

He said Matrix 1. I assume that's the one you think's good, because everyone seems too cool to admit liking anything about the other two (even though they're more of the same crap featured in the first), but try to seem all old school by saying they liked the first. Weird stuff. But I guess I can understand that because I feel the same about the Star Wars movies.

Originally posted by CapNColostomy

He said Matrix 1. I assume that's the one you think's good, because everyone seems too cool to admit liking anything about the other two (even though they're more of the same crap featured in the first), but try to seem all old school by saying they liked the first. Weird stuff. But I guess I can understand that because I feel the same about the Star Wars movies.

Actually, I say 1, because reloaded, while it had the cool fights and action, it had alot of parts I didn't like, such as the rave/sex scene, french dude scene, stuff like that. And revolutions, it had good plot and stuff, but to tell you the truth, it bored me.

I liked Matrix 1 because it was about Neo, the normal guy finding out about the matrix, and the cool effects, and teh 1337 deepness :p and I liked the whole agent thing at the end and stuff. And there wasn't really that much stuff that dissapointed me like the other movies had.

But, like I said, it doesn't really matter, it's a series, they're all good.

Originally posted by BawBag™

Can't believe I forgot this one..

Shawshank Redemption, I just recently bought the 3-disc DVD thingy.

Ack, same.

I'm going to Best Buy this afternoon to pick up a copy. Very good movie.

Hero (Ying xiong). Absolutely beautiful movie. This movie has a real and strong message. You could also view it as a propaganda movie, but that is indeed one thing that allows it to be so powerful. And of course it has such an artistic balance that hardly everyday you see such movies.

I judge this to be at the very top, with LOTR.

Originally posted by Darth NeoVenom

Not everyone is going to like my selections, but hey people have their different tastes. :D

Very well said - nor *should* you care if people agree - that is why there is such a broad spectrum of movies.

All I care about is that good, creative movies continue to get made - we know that the 'big boom' and teen-tease movies will always be there, as well as kiddie movies, but when I look at the charts for many of the years in the 80's and compare to recent years ... it is a sad thing.

Mike

You cant just pick ONE - I gotta do the category thing :

Sci/Fi - SW !

*Fantasy - LOTR

*Arthouse - Fire Walk With Me(The Last 7 Days of Laura Palmer)

*Comedy - Bachelor party w. tom hanks :D

*Martial Arts - Fist of Fury feat. Bruce Lee

*Japanese Film - Kwaidan (dir. Masaki Kobayashi)

*Anime - Ninja Scroll

*Non Japanese Animation - Shrek

*European Film(Non English) - Three Colours Trilogy

*UK Film - Snatch

*Aussie Film - Mad max !

*Best Shakespeare adaptation - Throne of Blood(Macbeth) dir. Akira Kurosawa

*Best Love Movie - Jane Eyre(based on the book by Charlotte Bronte)

*Best ass-kickin movie - Out for Justice - Steven Seagal

thats all I can think of atm

mtfbwya

Shaun of the Dead definetly gets put on my list.

Hilarious movie, and had everything. Blood, gore, horror, action, and a hell of alot of comedy. Beautifully done, and highly original.

I'm glad I caught this at theatres.

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

*Arthouse - Fire Walk With Me(The Last 7 Days of Laura Palmer)

I still don't get your love of this film ... but that is what individual tastes are all about, I guess ...

One thing though - how can you classify that as 'Arthouse'? Most of Lynch's stuff? Yes. This one was quickly put together, and as one reviewer put it "Appearing after all but the most dedicated Twin Peaks fans had given up on the series, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me had the misfortune of missing its moment by a few too many months. It also has the misfortune of not being particularly good and having a tendency to descend into incomprehensibility with a frightening regularity."

Oh well ...

Mike

Originally posted by KBell

Shaun of the Dead definetly gets put on my list.

Hilarious movie, and had everything. Blood, gore, horror, action, and a hell of alot of comedy. Beautifully done, and highly original.

I'm glad I caught this at theatres.

Yep, Shaun of the Dead is my current fave.

Other good films include:

Austin Powers : the spy who ******* me

Pirates of the Caribian

Braindead (or "Dead alive" depending on where you are from)

Baseketball (I think that is how you spell it)

And finally one NOT to watch, the worst film ever made is... Dumm dee dee Dumm! Vanilla sky. Shockingly bad.

Archived