1. 1. Why don't they use real guns?

• Out of lead
    • Not smart enough
    • Other
    • I'am full of cap

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Point 1. Jedi's are not the body of an army. It is filled with normal beings, who are often covered with armor. This armor has been stated to nullify most ballistic weaponry. Hence bullets are relatively useless versus any storm trooper or clone trooper or droid for that matter.

Point 2. A proper comparison of bullets versus blaster bolts is not primarily concerned with velocity. The real comparison is kinetic energy. A bullet's kinetic energy is purely due to motion, and is derived from KE = 1/2*m*V^2. A BB and a train can both do the same damage if the equations are balanced, ask NASA. While a blaster bolts kinetic energy is due to motion and the nasty little surprise within the magnet fields, and is derived from KE = 1/2*m*V^2 + ???. Where the ??? lies within Lucas' mind, and makes the KE much better than bullets. Anything that has energy has mass, and vice versa. Everything is like everything else, just a different shade or two.

*EDIT*

Oh and the equations of motion to use for constant acceleration are:

V = Vo + A*t

X = Xo + Vo*t + 1/2*A*t^2

V^2 = Vo^2 + 2*A*(X-Xo)

Originally posted by Lynk Former

Again people are trying to explain movie physics with real life physics XD lol

When you do this for a living you can't help but give people the proper tools to say what they mean. I kept it light as well (no numbers). But really this discussion all comes down to the armor.

Originally posted by Drax Kreiger

I agree with that. In the Equipment and Weapons Handbook, it said that the blaster bolt is actually invisible, but the color is from the bolt reacting with the atmosphere. Just a small bit of useless info.

Isn't a distinction made between hand weapons and starship level weapons?

By any analysis I've seen, these weapons are not "lasers" by any stretch of the imagination (not including say "targetting lasers" or something like that). Lasers move at the speed of light (meaning a Jedi deflecting stuff would have to move FASTER than light to deflect them, right?), and are INVISIBLE unless you are looking directly at them or there is some medium dispersing them (like fog or chalk-dust).

There is a theory about turbolasers (ship level weaponry) having an "invisible component" but that's up for debate. Anyway, I don't think we can assume lightspeed hand weapons just because the bolts appear similar to starship weapons.

In the movies we don't see Jedi deflecting invisible beams with their lightsaber. We seem them deflecting bolts!

Blaster bolts don't behave like real-life lasers at all, really.

And blasters (small arms, and some vehicle weapons) are apparently not identical to starship weapons ("turbolasers" and "lasers") or lightsabers, even if they are somehow similar.

They do have bullet guns in Star Wars (the first filmic example is in TPM with the Tusken raiders firing rifles) mentioned in the Expanded Universe.

There could be some arguments for blasters being used instead of bullets:

1) Less need to reload (maybe, we don't know that much about reloading since they never do it in the movies, though a Stormtrooper in ANH does say to "load your weapons" whatever that means), maybe.

2) Possibly more powerful. Each bolt could do more damage to electronics or structures than perhaps a bullet could/would.

3) Less chance of ricocheting. A bullet will bounce off certain surfaces and can cause unintended damage. A blaster bolt won't. Though we get "magnetically sealed" surfaces that can deflect bolts, so oh well.

4) "Tracer" effect. With colored bolts you can see where your shots are going and where they are coming from easier than with just plain bullets.

5) Cheaper? Perhaps manufacturing the blasters is somehow cheaper than producing lead bullets. Maybe not though, I haven't researched this. But if it's less costly, it could help explain why it's more prevalent.

6) More effective against X. Perhaps blasters are more effective against certain types of defenses prevelant in Star Wars. Like say against stormtrooper armor or droids. Thus they use weapons that are specially tailored to their universe.

Anyway, the "real-life" reason for why they use blasters instead of bullets is because it LOOKS COOL and LOOKS FUTURISTIC, which is what Sci Fi is all about! ; )

Another plus (from a certain point of view; other people might see it a minus) is that blasters don't seem to be as... I dunno... "cruel" as bullets. When someone is shot with a bullet, the bullet is now in their body somewhere, and the person has to have it removed, monitered, recover, etc. When someone is shot with a blast in Star Wars (think Leia on Endor), the burned skin is bandaged, and, depending on the placement of the blast, the person feels fine other than a severe but small burn which is much easily treated than a bullet wound.

Kurgan, I'm not sure about most things, but it has already been pointed out that blasters are about the only thing that's able to penetrate stormtrooper armor, and blaster definatly do more damage than bullets. Han nearly took down the ceiling of the docking bay on mos eisley when he fired at the stormies...

Also, i thought we already decided on this matter?

Another plus (from a certain point of view; other people might see it a minus) is that blasters don't seem to be as... I dunno... "cruel" as bullets. When someone is shot with a bullet, the bullet is now in their body somewhere, and the person has to have it removed, monitered, recover, etc. When someone is shot with a blast in Star Wars (think Leia on Endor), the burned skin is bandaged, and, depending on the placement of the blast, the person feels fine other than a severe but small burn which is much easily treated than a bullet wound.

Nice...Want a cookie?

Archived