33 members have voted

1. 1. Why don't they use real guns?

• Out of lead
    • Not smart enough
    • Other
    • I'am full of cap

Originally posted by JediDüde

1: Lucasarts made it that way, Star Wars is fictional

2: Its in a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away so they wouldn't have discovered bullets

3: Blaster pwn bullets just like blaster pistols pwn pistols

4: They probaly never thought of it

1: True

2: Right, because hyperspace travel is sooo primitive compared to bullets:rolleyes:

3: You forgot BOLT you dolt:p

4: Again, bullets suck.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get it how could you say that they hadn't "discovered" bullets.

Umm... let's see...

Tusken Raiders used rifles with bullets. And Tusken Raiders use primitive weaponry.

Star Wars has droids, spacestations that can destroy a planet, hyperspace/lightspeed travel, and you're saying that our earthly technology is more advanced than Star Wars technology? Man, do people actually think about what they post?

Bullets ARE better compared to a Light Saber though, Because, you can shoot all your bullets at em and never worrie about being killed because they can't deflect bullets, while as blasters, they are DEFLECED and just by shooting, you can be killed unlike bullets. LONG LIVE THE BULlET SHOOTING TUSKENS!:snipe1: :snipe1: :snipe1: :snipe1:

Energy = mass/velocity times the speed of light squared. E = mc²

You all seem to have forgotten the Theory of Relativity. It states that to create energy (your standard blaster fire; it fires in energy bolts) you need mass and the speed of light. With the speed of light worked into the equation, you automatically get something moving at the speed of light, possibly exceeding it. In this case, a blaster bullet.

This versus the speed of a bullet, calculated by the simple equation of distance = velocity * time. (d = v*t) to determine distance, you must first solve your variables; it has been constantly accepted that the speed of a rifle bullet is 2900 feet per second; ill use this in the equation. now you have distance = 2900*t, so you must solve for t. do this by using the equation: d =½*g*t² - d = distacne to fall, t = time to fall, and g = gravitorial acceleration. (this is the generally accepted equation for calculating time of bullets falling under acceleration with NO WIND, HORIZONTAL POINT, LEVEL GROUND, and zero air resistance.

isolate t. multiply both sides by two so you get 2d=gt². divide by g, so you get

2d/g=t². square root t so now you have t = square root of 2d/g.

now you need to plug in known values. Estimating that distance to fall = 150 CM and g (acceleration due to hravity) = 980 CM², you can plug those into the equation.

Now you get square rot of 2*150seconds/980cm²=square roof of 300s/980cm²=square root of . 306s = .55s.

Your speed is .55 seconds. Now, you plug that into original equation, d=vt. Meaning you get this:

D=vt =88,400 cm2 * .55s = 48,620 cm = 468.2 meters.

There for, it can be speculated that while having a much more limited distance travel than blasters due to the fact that gravity will have a much more limited effect on the trajectory of a concentrated energy blast of say a stormtrooper rifle vs. a projectile lead bullet of a rifle, it can also be speculated since speed of a blaster (speed of light: 186,000 MILES PER SECOND) versus the speed of a standard rifle bullet (.88400 CENTIMETERS PER SECOND.) the blaster is a much faster firing weapon, portrayed in movies and video games as only a slow moving projectile to show that it IS blockable by jedi, and to shw you can see it.

So, what do I win :D?

I hope mathematical proof shows you that it is a much better weapon. And yes, I worked this all out on my own…took 30 minutes >:0

Originally posted by LukeKatarn

Bullets ARE better compared to a Light Saber though, Because, you can shoot all your bullets at em and never worrie about being killed because they can't deflect bullets, while as blasters, they are DEFLECED and just by shooting, you can be killed unlike bullets. LONG LIVE THE BULlET SHOOTING TUSKENS!:snipe1: :snipe1: :snipe1: :snipe1:

And since bullets take more space in an ammo clip, you're number of shots are limited. Once you run out of ammo, you're screwed. By the time you pop your clip, and it hits the ground, you're probably on the ground without an arm next to your clip.

First of all, blaster bolts do not travel at the speed of light. They're not lasers. XD

Projectile weapons - which fire bullets - are not used by military in SW, because they are useless against any armor. You could pump bullets at a stormie all day, and nothing would happen thanks to his impact armor. Shooting at a spaceship? Laughable. A blaster bolt on the other hand...

It's not that bullets are less effective against Jedi, it's that no one makes projectile weapons anymore, because they're useless against everything else.

And yes, Jedi can block bullets. Just not reflect them, unless they were using the Force. You can't block blaster bolts with the Force, as far as I know...unless you're playing Jedi Outcast...:)

Plus I'm pretty sure a Jedi, with their Force-granted foresight, could block all that buckshot pretty easily. Or just wear some low-grade impact armor and not worry about it.

Finally, to the person who said a blaster bolt can't hit the heart - uh, yes it can. Burn the heart right out.

Originally posted by Redwing

First of all, blaster bolts do not travel at the speed of light. They're not lasers. XD

technically they are, they use the word laser when describing them. and the beams are light based energy.

weeeee

Most of the blasters used in the Star Wars movies are existing real world machine guns and pistols redressed to appear futuristic. Many of the weapons have a small explosive charge that provides the muzzle-flash on-camera, though the actual laser bolt is animated in post-production.

sorry pinky. :p

anyway, everything else you said was right except that an efficient jedi master CAN deflect energy, of any kind.

The end result from the process of creating a blaster bolt, or a laser cannon bolt (turbolasers included) is not a laser beam (not the way we know it today).

It's a bolt of energy, which can actually be set to explode at a pre-set distance (or travel time, whichever they use to calculate it. Either way it will explode at a pre-determined place :) ).

See the movies for reference (in particular ESB).

Originally posted by Redwing

You can't block blaster bolts with the Force, as far as I know...unless you're playing Jedi Outcast...:)

Eh...watch ESB...Vader does a pretty good job of blocking them with his hand, and that is an application of the Force, just not one commonly used...mainly because you have to have some kind of glove on and Jedis tend to not have gloves on.

I think you have to use a glove...lemme check...

*elevator music*

Ah, no gloves required. Must be thinking of something else. Ah well.

And you could deflect a bullet...if you pushed it with the Force and oh my gawd why do I sit here and join these debates about Star Wars geekiness.

Originally posted by DarthBuzzard

the speed of a standard rifle bullet (.55 CENTIMETERS PER SECOND.)

So, what do I win :D?

I hope mathematical proof shows you that it is a much better weapon. And yes, I worked this all out on my own…took 30 minutes >:0

Ummm, no, you don't. The speed of a standard rifle bullet is .55 cm/s? Are you kidding me? If that were the case guns would be useless (unless you used them as clubs). You're talking about a projectile that takes around a minute to move one foot at that speed.

Might want to spend a little more than 30 minutes next time. :) (although I admit it looked pretty impressive up until then).

Kryllith

ah, you would've been correct if you had paid attention, and i made that clearer. look towards the beginning; i stated that it goes 2900 feet per second (88400 cm per second squared), but what the .55s is how fast it is falling towards the ground after fired from the muzzle of a rifle in previously stated conditions. so, you get

88400cm2*.55= your distance; 482.2 m

i simply added the stuff to show how all the numbers worked, and didn't make it clear enough.

so i was never wrong, just missunderstood; i left out the .55s as its falling speed.

beat that! :D

Originally posted by Kain

Eh...watch ESB...Vader does a pretty good job of blocking them with his hand, and that is an application of the Force, just not one commonly used...mainly because you have to have some kind of glove on and Jedis tend to not have gloves on.

I think you have to use a glove...lemme check...

*elevator music*

Ah, no gloves required. Must be thinking of something else. Ah well.

Isn't that the WEG D6 Absorb/Dissapate Energy Force Power, I love that one. :D

Originally posted by Kain

And you could deflect a bullet...if you pushed it with the Force

With a few Dice of Alter you could pull a Matrix Neo real easy vs. people with Slugthrowers! :D

Archived