• Out of lead
    • Not smart enough
    • Other
    • I'am full of cap

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by DarthBuzzard

ah, you would've been correct if you had paid attention, and i made that clearer.

so i was never wrong, just missunderstood; i left out the .55s as its falling speed.

Actually I did pay attention and understood the equation fine. I also saw quite plainly that the .55 cm/s wasn't determined as the projectile's forward movement, but you labeled it as the "speed of a standard rifle bullet" which is just plain incorrect. :) So yeah, if you'd labeled it "the falling speed of a standard rifle bullet" then that would be a different matter.

Course, to that end, were you talking about the falling speed of the blaster when you said "since speed of a blaster (speed of light: 186,000 MILES PER SECOND) versus the speed of a standard rifle bullet (.55 CENTIMETERS PER SECOND)"? I suppose that would be true if you were firing it straight down. The main issue I have that you appear to be talking about lateral speed with one weapon and falling speed with the other, but you don't specify this which means anyone who skips to the final answer is liable to think you majorly botched your math.

Kryllith

Alright, first: Darthbuzzard rules. No way would i have been able to calculate that, while i AM pretty smart... and 14...

And now, why blasters own bullets:

1. blaster bolts go faster. (I think that is firmly established)

2. You can stuff more blaster ammo in a clip.

3. Blasters are probably stronger.

and abut Vader blocking the blaster bolts: perhaps that's because of his armored cybernetic arm... at least, that's what i always thought...

A machine gun fires bullets. Bullets would be a lot easier to block with the force then an energy bolt.

Sure, you miht get a Jedi Padawan with a minigun, but a Kninght? Possibly, if he wasn't looking. A Jedi Master? Highly doubtful. And for kicks, A Sith? Impossible.

OK darthbuzzard, here's where you go wrong:

D=vt =88,400 cm2 * .55s = 48,620 cm = 468.2 meters.

There for, it can be speculated that while having a much more limited distance travel than blasters due to the fact that gravity will have a much more limited effect on the trajectory of a concentrated energy blast of say a stormtrooper rifle vs. a projectile lead bullet of a rifle, it can also be speculated since speed of a blaster (speed of light: 186,000 MILES PER SECOND) versus the speed of a standard rifle bullet (.88400 CENTIMETERS PER SECOND.)

OK. You got the formula right, but you need to convert everything to meters and m/s and m/s² (acceleration=meters per second squared)

So now you have 1.5 meters to fall ('bout right), -9.8 m/s², which the acceleration of gravity here on Earth (so other planets would have larger or smaller accelerations)

This gives you 0.55s as the time it takes for the bullet to hit the ground when fired horizontally, but then you get lost. Lets assume the bullet has a muzzle velocity is 838m/s, so the bullet travels ~461m before it hits the ground 0.55s later. (thats 1,511.75 ft)

Now, the speed of light is 300,000m/s, while a bullet has a velocity of 838m/s and it follows a much more sophisticated ballistic trajectory. However, the most solid theory behind the blasters is magnetically contained plasma. (plasma is a partially or fully ionized gas which can assume many forms. For instance lightning and the aurora borealis are natural forms of plasma. Plasmas are useful in many applications such as welding, semiconductor processing, plasma spraying, hazardous waste destruction and lighting among others.

Thermal plasmas are a kind of plasma characterized by partial thermal equilibrium (i.e. the electron temperature is equal to the heavy particle temperature), high energy content, high temperatures and high luminosity.)

This explains the power packs (needs power to project magnetic fields and heat the gasses), the speed (its most definately slower than light), and the destructive/explosive force. Plasma will create an explosive reaction because it is superheated, while light only causes heat because it charges the electrons in the affected atoms to jump to a higher energy level and increase the movement of the atom (movement=heat) So basically, a laser will cause you to boil, and then explode, but plasma willl just severely burn you (read: burn through you and your armor)

edit:

oh yeah, and in reference to the DF/JK series, you dorgot the Imperial Heavy Repeater and the Bowcaster. both of which use "Metallic bolts" The IHR uses bullets encased in energy (think super-bullet) and the bowcaster actually uses metallic slugs that I would guess to be bigger than a .50 cal bullet (again encased in energy)

Please use the edit button instead of double posting - coupes

Archived