• Alien
    • Aliens
    • Alien 3
    • Alien Resurection
    • Predator
    • Predator 2
    • AvP
    • They are all **** and I hate them/not seen any of them

As there is a new film out and I have seen them all now (and it is something people love to disagree on) I thought I would put all the Alien/Predator films in order, best first:

1:Aliens

2:Predator

3:Alien

4:AvP

5:Alien Resurection

6:Predator 2

7:Alien 3

Disagree or not, post your Opinions here!

And there is a poll, coz I felt like it

1 - Aliens - *****

2 - Predator - ****1/2

3 - Alien - ****

(i'm sure i would have liked it better if i had seen it originally, but it has been ripped off so much that it seemed a bit generic by the time i saw it)

4 - Predator 2 - ****

(much better than you remember, but suffers from not having arnie in it. clever plot and good suffocating feel though).

5 - Alien 3 & Alien Resurection - **

(both had good ideas and good intentions, but both came up short and failed in places. I guess alien 3 is a little better, but i never forgave it for killing off newt and hicks so cheaply)

6 - AvP - *

( - may have spoilers -

Watched this on saturday.

Starts off ok - had me wondering why it got such rubbish reviews. Then as soon as the predators arrive it gets mind numbingly stupid.

The whole cast gets killed in about 2 minutes, and not in original or interesting or tricksy ways... just really obvious ones. The interesting characters get killed before you even know their names.

The predators don't look as cool as they used to (more like american football players) and their invisibility effeect is nowhere near as cool as it was.

The much awaited AvP fight is a mess of close shots badly edited, but is ok i guess.

The sets are rubbish. No sense of scale or location. The reconfiguring pyramid removes and sense of continuity and makes it a set of one off scenes rather than a movie.

The last 2 humans (havig hardly seen an alien, but had all their mates killed by predators) suddenly decide they must team with the predators to stop the aliens taking over the world? huh?

They also seem to be able to easily read all the ancient hyroglyphics... at one point a scientist goes "i've figured it all out" and you think it is from the fight they just watched.... then he just reads it all off the wall!!!?!

The predators seem remarkably rubbish at containing the aliens. Not sure how they got to be gods in ancient times that hunted every 100 years, they were their for about 5 minutes and got killed, facehugged, and the queen got away (wonder why she never thought of that before? )?!?

The ending was sudden and a real anticlimax.

Having said all that, there were a couple of clever ideas (the cuddly predator teaming up with the human, etc..) but none of them were properly exploited.

The plot of AvP2 (the game) is way better, and way better done...

)

Yes, I admit the game AvP2 had a better plot than the film but I still liked it, however a little more thught into the plot wouldn't have been a bad thing, it is a much better film than most of the action films of the last fw months.

would I be right in saying it is the same corparation in the game and the film?

How is Aliens, a mindless one-liner based gril-powar action flick by that monkey Cameron, who butchered Giger's concept of a unique and interesting creature and turned it into a big insect,..

How could that be better than Alien, a retro, tense, slow-burning psychological horror directed by an acknowledged master, with an absolutely STELLAR cast of master actors, and of course the original concept for the DNA-altering nigh-viral alien unblemished...

The answer, it couldn't. When you compare the two you see that Alien is leet, and Aliens is a crude, loud, simple version of the former. Don't get me wrong, it's enjoyable enough in its own hammy, predictable way, but it's no Alien.

So,..

Alien

Predator (Does machismo better than Aliens, frankly)

Aliens

Alien 3

Alien Ressurection

Predator 2 (awful crap as I recall, though maybe toms is right and it's better when viewed today. Maybe I'll find out when it's on telly again.)

AvP (equally awful crap)

predator is one of the best movies i've seen in a long time.

alien was a work of art. (although, its been ripped off in about 50 other movies)

aliens was pretty cool, but kind of boring after playing through avpII.

avp broke the series by being a mediocre/really bad movie.

avpII the game pwned all the movies. :D

i'm going to jump off the bandwagon here and say that I actually like predator 2 better than predator. granted predator is an awesome film and i have the super dooper edition, but i just really like pred 2 for the newer pred tech, and the urban combat enviroment. Avp just sucks, and Alien Ressurection was silghtly worse than the first 3 alien movies which were excellent :)

AL: I'm guessing you saw alien when it originally came out, then saw aliens a few years later?

Everyone i know who saw alien when it first came out thinks very highly of it. But if you only saw it years later (about 1990) then it comes across as a bit derivative... because so many things have ripped it off.

Aliens (can't remember if i saw this first, or just after alien), on the other hand, I would claim was one of the few sequels that improved on it's predecessor. You don't have to agree with that, but I don't think you an call cameron a monkey. (ignoring titanic of course ;-) )

Not only is aliens possibly the best action film ever created (tight plot, great characters, absolutely amazing pacing) but i also like the fact that he tried to do something different with the film (rather than trying to copy ridley as alien3 did) and yet still managed to retain the "feel" of the first film.

Aliens and predator actually both have a lot in common, they are both very well paced, with a constant feeling of menace and confinement, they both have memorable characters who manage to be interesting, deep (aliens moreso) and likable despite not having a lot of screentime each.

Compare that to AvP. I watched that a few days ago, and on the bus home when we were talking about it the only human character NAME we could remeber was BISHOP. Compare that to aliens where you had burke, bishop, vasquez, hicks, gorman, newt, drake etc... and you instinctively knew what each character was about, what their relationships were, and how they would react to situations. You cared when they died.

Of course, the director's cut of aliens ruins the great pacing, and t2 and titanic show a downhill decline, so it may well be that cameron is a lot like lucas: he works well when he has limits and others overseeing him, but give him a free reign and it all goes a bit wrong. Still, Terminator = best sci-fi film ever and Aliens = best action film ever, not bad for one guy.

You don't have to agree with that, but I don't think you an call cameron a monkey. (ignoring titanic of course ;-) )
Ahh but Titanic's only one of his many failures. Let's examine Terminator for a moment: A great film, a watchable, intelligent sci-fi actioner, right? Right.

But it could have been better, more intelligent, if Cameron hadn't drooled over box-office dollars and cast the recently sought-after Arnie as the Terminator. I know what you're saying now, "How could Arnie be beat as the Terminator?" By Lance Henriksen, to be honest.

Henriksen was in line for the part of the terminator. He really wanted the role.

Why would he have been better than Arnie?

Well, whom do you think would be better at playing a cyborg unit design to infiltrate camps full of emaciated rat-eating pauper human refugees? A slightly off-kilter skinny everyman (Lance) or a six-foot steroid-filled slab of bodybuilding Austrian muscle? (Arnie)

Yeah, I'm sure Arnie would have gone completely unnoticed in the crowd. :rolleyes:

Add to this that Henriksen is frankly a better actor, and you have an obvious conclusion... Cameron sacrificed continuity and quality for box-office, by parading an incredibly muscular Austrian around in front of the camera. Freak-show time.

And that can be said of most of his films including Aliens. He sacrifices intelligence for tabloid popular appeal. That makes him persona-non-grata in my book, and therefore he is in fact, a simian fool.

Archived