Home

Your first Monkey Island moment....

Mr Cheese

What, and when, was the first time you ever played monkey island? Which game was it and how old were you? Mine was as follows.

I was at my cousin's house with nothing to do. My Uncle asked if I wanted to play a computer game. How could I refuse, I was a seven year old. He showed me his games and guess which on I chose? CURSE OF MONKEY ISLAND! It had monkeys, pirates, and tropical islands. All my obsessions rolled into one game. From the moment I chose the difficuly, I was obsessed. I was laughing at all the jokes. A talking skull trying to scare you, a mild mannered midget trying to be a pirate, and an insane guy with a ship taking orders from a gorilla. I couldn't work out many of the puzzles, but I didn't mind.

I was at my cousin's house with nothing to do. My Uncle asked if I wanted to play a computer game. How could I refuse, I was a seven year old. He showed me his games and guess which on I chose? CURSE OF MONKEY ISLAND!

Wow, change Curse of Monkey Island, to Secret of Monkey Island and that's my exact story.

I was over at my neighbors house and watching over his shoulder as he was walking around on Monkey Island. So long ago... good times. Then when the graphic adventures pack came out, zak, mm, somi, indy and loom, i finally got my chance. and ive never been the same.

Me and my dad completed MI1 when it came out on the Amiga Commodore (with an upgraded ONE MEGABYTE OF RAM!!)

The television screen in the spare room constantly showed a little pixelated Guybrush walking back and forth for a fortnight.

I must have been about six!!

"Give cooking pot to Fettucini Brothers" and I was hooked.

• 1 month later...

My first Monkey Island moment?

That'd be the day back in 1997 when I bought PC User, booted up the CD that came with it, installed the CMI demo (which contained naught but the first room of the game) and played hell out of it until I could afford the full version.

I loved verbally abusing Murray before finally knocking him off his little plank.

Unfortunately, the first and the only Monkey Island I have ever played was Escape from Monkey Island. I got it recently because I was watching G4 and there was stuff about how good MI was, so I thought, heh, what the heck it's cheap and it's an MI game, so it must be good. Boy was I wrong. I wish I could have played secret 1 or 2, but I'm getting Curse soon.

By the way, did Tim Schafer help with Curse of Monkey Island?

• 2 weeks later...

Bet ya all.

MI1 i must of been about 9 or 10, me dad brought it home along with loads of other copied floppy disks for my brand new

Amiga 500+, aaaawwww i remember the big red shiny box it came in had a picture of Captain Planet and some Lemmings on the front. :rolleyes: memories.

Me and my neighbour used to try for ages to get Guybrush to tip over in the Swamp of MI2.

• 3 months later...

When I was 9 years old, we got a new Gateway computer. And it had this one cd that had business programs on it, but also The Secret of Monkey Island. I got it running from the DOS screen, but I couldn't figure out how to save or the puzzle where you need a helmet. A few weeks later I met a friend at school, went over to his house and discovered he had the game. He told me how to save and told me to use the pot as a helmet, and without knowing how to save I prob would never have gotten into the games. And basically we played through MI 1 and then 3 when it came out together, telling each other how to solve puzzles we just figured out. Man...the memories...

I was around 10 years old I think and my mum and dad bought me an Amiga and lots of games for Christmas. They allowed me to choose one of the games to play before my mum hid it somewhere until Christmas. So I looked at all the games and the one that stood out the most was The Secret of Monkey Island with its such beautiful box art. Little did I know that it would be the best game out of all of the games I got and one of my favourite games of all time. I remember I played it all night and I felt like I had gotten pretty far so I was pissed when my mum said I wasn't allowed to keep my Amiga on all night until I got back from school so I wouldn't lose my progress. Ah, such wonderful memories :)

1993 - I was eight. My dad, an avid gamer at the best of times, had finally made the leap from SNES to PC, and the first game he bought was the brand spanking new Sam & Max CD-ROM. But he wouldn't let me play it! He was scared I would break his PC. After all, I didn't know how to work it, and it was all in DOS back then. But I was no fool, and I watched him every time he played a game - dir/games eh? Ho ho.

One day, my time came. He went out to watch the football, affording me three hours to get on the machine. I typed it in and looked as five words appeared. I forget four of them now, as the only one that is important is "MONKEY".

A CD/ or two later, and I was in... and the opening theme worked its' magic on me from the start. My dad eventually found out what I was up to (it took me about eight months to fully complete the game) and instead of freaking out like I thought he would, he was actually impressed with my progress. God love him, he went out and bought DOTT (the new CD version) and MI2 for me to play :)

Sam and Max was an altogether different story. He lent that to my uncle, and I never recovered it until 1999. That's a long wait to play the game you once saw your dad playing, and watching him bungee jump out of the Presidents' nose.

As an aside, it has to be said it was DOTT, not the Monkey Island games that cemented my LucasArts love affair. It was - is - so completely non-linear that I didn't even realise that there was a plot until I replayed it years later. I thought you just walked around that hotel trying to solve the puzzles. Genius.

The first LEC game I actually played, though, was Zak McKracken. I didn't realise this until 2002 :)

Unbelievably, my Monkey Island story also involved an uncle. Back when I was about four, The Secret of Monkey Island had been freshly released and it was the big thing between my dad and his brother. My uncle had it on the Atari, and lent my dad a copy of it for use on his. I'd watch him progress through it slowly, with my uncle frequently coming round and flaunting his being much further into the game.

Eventually, after watching my dad play through it at an alarmingly slow rate for a year or so, he let me have a go at it. It's probably one of my earliest gaming memories, and as such is locked into my vault of fondest nostalgic memories ever. The family naturally progressed onto LeChuck's Revenge when it came out, though by the time Curse of Monkey Island came out I was the only one still interested in the series.

Escape from Monkey Island has no place in the vaults of nostalgia.

A guy at school accidentally dropped his Monkey Island backup discs and I accidentally picked them up. Accidentally there was a photocopied backup of the code wheel, too. At first I didn't realise there was a whole island to explore and all you had to do was walk in the other direction on the first screen.

I bought all the adventures later on, but the truth is that I played MI first on a pirated copy.

The year...was...uh...crap there goes that dramatic effect I was aiming for...it was December of 1993 as I remember it. We had just gotten a 2x CD-ROM (for Christmas - from parents to the family) for our Windows 3.1 Tandy! What an amazing piece of machine. As I remember it The Secret of Monkey Island, and Loom were boxed with the CD, but it may not have been that they were "sold" together...

My two older siblings and I were the ones who played it, I was only 5 at the time, and my younger sisters were too young to play. My brother was the first one to reach Part Two. I was so jealous. There was just something about being a kid, and watching these amazing 320x200 graphics tell such a beautiful story.

Oh yes, I left out an important part...we all made it to Monkey Island...only I left alive...You know, for years I searched for that 1 location that would unlock the rest of the game...I swear I never noticed that you could interact with the dam. Once I noticed that I tried every single item on it...until he put the gunpowder down...then it became obvious.

As I recall it took me...approximately 5 1/2 - 6 years to beat it. Crap why do I keep looking up dates. It sounds way cooler to tell people 10 years. :D

I'm not really sure what made me stick with it. My brother still laughs at me for all the times I asked him..."What if...". And I still recall this one picture I drew...it was so much crap, I don't know why I remember it. I drew Guybrush holding the root (bear in mind this is before I knew you could do anything to the MI dam) and Elaine saying something like "Guybrush! Did you find the root?" and Guybrush replying with "Yes." or some stupid crap.

Why am I saying all this? You don't know me too well, do you? :xp:

SOMI will always in my mind, be the best game, of all time.

*Their faces: icon11.gif*

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It was 1991 I first saw Monkey Island 2 on GamesMaster on the Reviews section it showed Guybrush in Woodtick going over the bridge with the green water below and exploring Woodtick and it showed him exploring Phatt and the spitting contest the graphics were amazing and it was so atmospheric and it was the first time a game on GamesMaster got full marks for everything. Then in the Consoltation Zone I saw GamesMaster helping a guy how to win the spitting contest on Phatt Island.

The Amiga 600 had just come out and it was advertised on TV and I wanted an Amiga 600 for my birthday I dident get the wild the weird and the wicked Amiga 600 pack. I just wanted the Amiga 600 and the two best and most graphical games on the Amiga 600 I got Monkey Island 2 and Indian Jones and The Fate of Atlantis. I opened up the Amiga 600 and set it up and then i read the back of the cardboard boxes for Monkey Island 2 and Indian Jones and The Fate of Atlantis and looked at all the screen shots on the back of cardboard box and the code wheel. Then I turned on the Amiga 600 and the insert disk animation appered on the screen then I inserted Monkey Island 2.

The code wheel animation appeared on the screen and I used the wheel to give the correct code then the Music Played and the Title screen for Monkey Island 2 appeared then after all the credits it started and I walked across the bridge into Woodtick for the first time and woodtick has ever since been my favourite part of Monkey Island 2 it was atmospheric the graphics the colours and the sound and music were and still are amazing.

I played Monkey Island 2 from begining to end in one day and was blown away the pirates on Woodtick dident think I was a mighty pirated beacuse the voodoo lady told them she got rid of Le Chuck I told them it was me and to prove it to them I got rid of largo LaGrande.

It was a real achivement but from the begining I felt really bad because Wally was my best friend from the begining and I talked with him for many hours about maps and big whoop then I said bye and went then I timed it so I walked in just as he put his monicle down so he wouldnt see me then I picked it up and waited. He started to cry and talk to himself about loosing his monicle I wanted to give it him back but I knew I had to take it so after hours of listening to him cry and talking to himself about loosing his monicle I left. After Chartering the ship to Phatt and eventually working out that the spin the wheel game in the alley was a fix and winning the spitting contest I eventually got to the end of the game and came face to face with Le Chuck and then I found out the whole game was a ride at the fair called the Monkey Island Ride and Le Chuck wasnt Le Chuck at all he was Chucky my brother it was an awsome ending then spirits appered around Chuckys head and he laugthed in a final twist and an awsome ending. I was shocked as the credits rolled and the music played and I sat stareing at the sceen for ages in shock. For ages I had dreams about Monkeys Island 2 mostly about Wally

who I left in his map shop without his monicle after I took his monicle.

Monkey Island 2 is top of my list for favourite games along with Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Hook, Night Trap, The legend of Kyrandia, Sonic The Hedgehog, Thunder Hawk, MoonWalker, Super Mario World, Altered Beast, Streets of Rage, The Untouchables, Flimbos Quest, CJs Elephant Antics.

It was a shame that Ron Gilbert wasnt able to complete the Monkey Island triliogy and make Monkey Island 3 and carry on from were Monkey Island 2 left of. Because although Monkey Island 3 is a very good Monkey Island game they should have stuck to the original highly detailed and atmospheric graphics of Monkey Island 1 and 2 instead of changing the look of the graphics and the look of Guybrush Threepwood and Le Chuck.

:monkey4::monkey4::monkey4::sweating:

Cant remember how old I was, think it was around 95/96, which made me about 9/10. We got an old Amiga, because at the time, ther games were so easy and cheap to get hold of. Me and my dad used to go to this Amiga club, where basically, you met other people who could upgrade your machines, swap games and basically get a lot of good stuff for your Amiga for peanuts! I remember looking through someones games, and seeing The Secret of Monkey Island (4 disks!) and Monkey island 2: LeChuck's Revenge (11 DISKS!) I had no idea what either game was all about, the name just sounded interesting, so we borrowed them both and made a copy. Decided I would never play the second until I completed the first. Once I put the first on, I was hooked! I love adventure games, the thrill when you finally figure out the bit you've been stuck on for months. I remember the first time I thought of following the storekeeper to find the swordmaster!

Been stuck on part 3 of EMI for years, and I just completed it today for the first time! Id been stuck on the accordion and Monkey Kombat bits for sooo long, and finally beat them at around 4am last night!

I was eight years old, it was on the Amiga, i walked down into town, and got all the stuff there, the pot, the meat, the hering, the minuits, and i even think mints, and that was it for weeks. I was stuck. I had to get my dads help to realise if i walked of the screen in the correct direction at he lookout, i would go onto the map of melee island. That felt so good, the game then felt huge. It was my first ever adventure game. Now having played, universe, legends of kyrandia, Space quest, beneath a steal sky, Manic mansion, and probably every single adventure game made from about 1988 till 2002, it seems very silly. But at the time Monkey island was the best, and MI1 will always be my favorite Adventure game of all time.

My memory of monkey island 2 is slightly different, I first saw that in 1990 at my friends house on his IBM, he had it on large 5 inch? disks, and i had to wait for it to come out on the amiga, with all its i think it was 7 disk glory. I still have it packed away. MI2 used to scare me silly, but i was only about ten years old.

• 2 weeks later...

i was about 5-6 years old, my Dad and brother bought MK1 and so we played, i was hooked on the pirate adventure, love story (which at 5-6 years old i thought was soppy)

Then MK2 came out a few years later that just as fun as the first.

then a lot of years later, MK3 came out.

I love all the monkey island games, i think they should created the last 5th monkey island game to show little threepwoods, and some type of voodoo prison to through LeChuck in it to save the carribean.

Archived