Home

Overly Emotional? [Spoilers]

Kristy Kistic

the most emotional part of the game for me, wasnt when Bastilla was taken by malek, but when i watched the cut scene where she is being tortured, my blood boiled,i killed everything in my path, i just HAD to get to malek an tear him limb from limb, then i find out she had turned to the dark side, i went numb, i thought there is no way im going to be able to kill her (emotionaly, my char would have moped the floor with her in combat). I turned her back to LS but still wanted bozo, i let him recharge at every jedi thingy, just so i could hurt him more. only thing i was dissapointed about was the fact i couldnt chop him up into little tiny peices after he died. No game ive played before or since has goten me sooo damn mad lol.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first time I played the game is the day I bought it, which was on Friday, July 18, 2003 on the XBox. I can't believe it's been almost 3 years since that day. Time has really flied.

The first time I played the game, I was overwhelmed by it because I had never played a role playing game before. I decided to choose a female PC because rarely does the female get to be the hero and I was a little inspired by Lara Croft from the Tomb Raider games, I went the female route the first time I played through.

I choose this model for my first time.

popfha50sb.jpg

I didn't do it for any particular reason other than the class I chose, it was the one already displayed. I chose Scoundrel because I was inspired by Leia's remark about Han Solo in Empire Strikes Back. So that model was the one displayed when I went for Scoundrel.

I loved the beginning of it. It felt Star Wars when I watched the opening crawl. Then to see the Endar Spire under attack. I was expecting to be a Jedi or use the Force at first since I do recall your PC having Force Powers and a lightsaber when watching the trailers to the game. I was bummed when it didn’t start out that way, but I did read that you will eventually become a Jedi when I went on the internet to find out if I would because I did want this game to be worth it.

I loved the music (Bastila’s Theme) when I first heard it in the Taris Apartment. It gave me a chill up my back when I first listen through it. I was under the impression when Carth talked about Revan and Malak that Revan was the worst one and things were better now that Revan was killed, but still in bad shape.

Getting through Taris was fun at times, and I loved it when I got Zaalbar. I loved that you can talk to a Wookiee and understand each word, unlike the Star Wars movies where you had to assume what Chewbacca or any other Wookiee was saying. I didn’t think the Rakghouls and getting the Rakghoul disease was a great idea. I thought that part was lame. I did like getting involved with the gang wars and searching for Bastila. The swoop race gave me the same feeling from The Phantom Menace. I did try to equip Bastila’s lightsaber when I rescued her, but realized that my character didn’t have the feat required to do so. I was a little bummed about that. I loved meeting Canderous and joining him, along with killing Bendak Starkiller. Going through Davik’s estate was a blast. It took me eight hours to get off Taris.

Getting to Dantooine and becoming a Jedi was so awesome. I loved watching your PC train to become a Jedi and meditate in the air while having the chairs float around you. It felt like The Empire Strikes Back watching Luke drain on Dagobah. I felt like I was Luke or Anakin Skywalker because they trained at a too old of age, and felt a little like Anakin because my PC was a special case, like I was a Chosen One, and some how the Jedi Order overlooked my PC. I wanted to have a blue lightsaber really bad. I also wanted to have a second lightsaber since I never played a Star Wars game where you can have dual lightsabers. I wanted to get more lightsabers and get a green one for my off hand. Anyway because I wanted a blue lightsaber, I chose to be a Jedi Guardian. So I was a level eight Scoundrel, and finished the game also as a level twelve Jedi Guardian. Fighting Juhani was a little frustrating because I can see that you could redeem her, but I had a hard time figuring out how. I did get the fight to stop and saved it at that point and did would I could try redeem her. I did mess up a few time and got her to attack me and destroyed her because of it. Anyway, I did figure it out and was glad to get her in my party.

I choose Kashyyyk first to try out because I love Wookiees and loved the idea of going to the Wookiee planet. I was not disappointed at all. Especially when I added another Jedi, named Jolee.

I tried Tatooine next. That was fun seeing Anchor Head because it was mentioned by Luke in A New Hope. Believe it or not, I did not go to Yuka Laka’s shop and never did get HK-47 the first time I played through. I found out about HK-47 through my little brother who was playing through it when I was and he actually started before me and finished the game before me.

Manaan was a disappointment for me. I couldn’t figure out how to blow up the harvest machine, so I poisoned the giant Firaxa Shark. So getting kicked off of Manaan was a shock because I didn’t finish the Sunry trial and realized I wasn’t going to be able to.

Getting captured by the Leviathan was a surprise. I didn’t see that coming. I chose Jolee to be the one to break my party out. Getting through it and having Carth get his revenge of Saul was cool. I really thought my party was going to escape the Leviathan before Malak got there. I was shocked to see him show up before I got the chance to leave. When Malak recognized by PC, I was surprised to that he would. I didn’t make any sense to me. When I saw the cut scene about the little hints Carth and Bastila gave in the scene, I recalled them and wondered where this was going. Carth mentioning about the Force doing terrible things to a mind, like wiping out your memory. And Bastila talking about turning an enemy to your cause, using their own knowledge against them. I knew Malak had betrayed Revan, but I wasn’t expecting what I saw. When I saw Revan take off the helmet and saw my PC’s face, I was shocked and confused. I knew Malak wasn’t lying because of the scene of the helmet removal. When I faced Malak in battle, I thought that this was the end of the game. I thought if I beat him, I have beaten the game. I had put in over 30 hours of game play and never put that much in to one game to beat it. This was also my first role playing game. To find out that wasn’t the end and to lose Bastila was a bummer. My brother did tell me that one of my party members was going to betray me before I got to that point. I never thought it would be Bastila. I thought it would be Juhani because of her Dark Side past.

Getting to Korriban gave me a new perspective. I was just going there to get the last Star Map. I now felt a sense of urgency because I wanted to rescue Bastila really bad. Korriban was fun. It became one of my favorites to visit. I actually sided with Yuthura Ban and teamed up with her to beat Master Uthar. I wasn’t surprised to she turned on me because I was expecting it. I spared her when she pleaded for mercy and left the Academy. I didn’t realize that if I killed her that I would have the whole Academy after me. I found that out on my next game.

The Unknown World was unexpected to. Especially having a place called the Unknown World. I thought of it as the Hawaii planet. Getting in the Temple and confronting Bastila on the roof was an overwhelming feeling. I was sad to see Bastila betrayed us. I felt really bad for her when I saw her before crash landing being tortured. To see that I couldn’t turn her back made me sad and frustrated. Reporting back to the party and explain Bastila’s betrayal was a very sad moment.

Raiding the Star Forge became the most frustrating part of all the game. I never had so much difficulty doing it. I did get killed every once in a while, but could overcome it. When I realized that it wasn’t going to be that easy and getting killed several times really ticked me off. I didn’t really build my character that well. Especially since I really didn’t know what I was doing and never had role playing experience before. 95% of the time I auto leveled up and my party members auto level up the whole time. I didn’t want to take the time and figured out what to chose for my feats or Force Powers, so I thought if I auto leveled up, it would be okay. I realized later that was a bad choice.

After making it through with Juhani and Jolee by my side, I finally confront Bastila again, and found a way to redeem her. I also offered her to join me, but she refused to confront Malak with me. I was a little bummed. I did expect to face off against that Sith Master that kept reporting to Malak about what was going on and surprised that Malak never sent him to stop me. I thought that would happen later again when I was going through it Dark Side. Anyway, when Malak sent the Star Forge droids to stop me, I just kept on destroying droids and was wondering when it was going to stop and eventually they killed me because of my lack of experience. After being frustrated so badly, I figured out how to use the control panels to stop them. That was a relief.

Facing off against Malak for the final duel then became the most frustrating moment of the game. To get there and not be able to beat Malak really ticked me off even more than raiding through the Star Forge. I tried multiple times and failed. I then realized I’m going to have to learn methods I never knew about before. I then learned about how to use the Adrenaline shots. I never used them the whole time I went through the game, or the shields. I figured out how those were used and learned how to inject shots and turn on shields and realized that to beat Malak faster and easier, I had to destroy the Jedi containment units. I had Disable Droid power (not destroy) and used it to destroy the containment units and faced off against Malak to finish him and with the help of the shots and shields, and enough life support packs, I finally defeated him and was very happy.

I loved the ending, celebrating with my party members and knowing Bastila was apart of it. And Vandar referring to Revan as the prodigal Knight and it reminded me of the Prodigal Son story from the Bible. When I saw the credits role, I was amazed at what I did and couldn’t wait to start another game. This time as a male PC. It took me 38 hours to beat the game. I completed it on Thursday, July 31, 2003.

Iam not that much envolved in any game. However, Kotor I is still the game where i can identify myself with the PC best. Therefore i always choose the options i personally really would.. and i end up being a gray jedi.

At the final decision i took LS the first time i played through. It was really great, especially the fight vs Bastila ( i redeemed her of course..she's my love).

However i like the DS ending more. (i mean the cutscene)

The only thing i never did in Kotor I and II was playing totally lightside. But i played totally darkside (except a few things like that Ithorian who is attacked by the children on Taris, usally i really threaten the childs and make them run in fear.. then i heal the Ithorian. This is the way i feel about that! :D)

I can't play DS, I feel guilty. I know it's a game and those people aren't alive but still. Another reason I don't play it as DS is that I fear missing conversations that might only come about from LS playing.

We know that Taris goes bai bai* and the majority of people will die but still... It's harder to play DS for me.

(*Japanese for bye bye)

If I play "go with my heart" rather than shooting for DS or LS, I am a little bit on the LS.

I don't agree with the stupid Jedi Council on many things.

That having said, I would mostly go DS eventually for Bastila... too bad I can't "go with my heart" and save Mission as my little pet girl... along with the gizkas!!

I've never been able to get off Taris as a darkside character. I just can't do it; I'm not like that. I did try the DS ending once, but never again, hehe.

I felt like crap when my persuade failed and i had to kill bastila on the star forge. And i have still never managed to play through as dark side, I feel like too much of an ass. Every time i start i either turn to the light or quit.
Yeah, The first time I did that I felt awful. Especially after I invested so much emotionally in those characters after completing their side-quests.

K1 invoked a lot of emotions in me too, mostly at the end. Fighting Bastila and the whole coversation with her and trying to save her was touching, then the fight with Malak with the music and the scenery was just incredible. I remember one game were, as Malak was about to die the music reached it peak right as he said his last few words. Amazing.
Same for me. XD

I could never do dark side. Once, on light side, I threatened the Ithorian who had HK. Bastila sounded so dissapointed I reloaded.
I also reloaded when I did something evil. I wanted to see what would happen, but I couldn't stand actually playing the game like that.

I'd say I got more attached to the K1 characters than any other VG game characters I have come across.
Word. Bioware did a really good job on it.

When I play KOTOR my duty is to my heart meaning that I am a lightsider through and through. I tried killing Jolee and Juhani, I couldn't. TSL I wouldn't mind playing DS because while it was good, it didn't give me the emotional appeal, the exception being the meeting on Dantooine with Kavar, Vrook and Zez Kai-Ell. Seeing them dead, I felt really empty and I didn't kill them, Kreia did. What really bothered me was the torture scene on the Leviathan. Whether it was Bastilla or Carth being tortured, I would just close my eyes but I still had to hear it, the screams. KOTOR did a good job in affecting the emotional spectrum of the gamers. I could go on but I'm rambling now, just trying to not feel the sufffering of others across the world...

I always have trouble playing starting an evil game because I feel guilty for the first hour or two of the game but somehow all the evil stuff I'm doing just becomes funny. Its a pretty rapid change one moment I feel sorry for the guy I just extorted a few mins ago and then a second later I'm laughing as my lightsaber makes short work of the guy who was stupid enough not to give me the credits I wanted.

Yes there are a lot of emotional episodes in KotOR I&II but i must say i don't really understand the not going DS bit.

Sometimes it's so outrageously evil i just can't help but laugh (evil kackle?) about it.

Also i remember my first time playing through KotOR I i just ended up going DS in the Temple because i craved the power of the DS. :)

I was only slightly more DS then LS though.

After that i played a full LS game and then i went 100% DS it's just so much fun to return to the Sith academy after the final test having killed both the Sith masters (double-double cross), and announcing your the Dark Lord Revan when you return :)

Also i just got a kick out of insulting Carth and Juhani because they react so emotionally to your answers.

Being a 100% jerk felt very much less rewarding in TSL.

Kreya does a very good job at bringing your DS character low.

Scolding old witch LOL...

Kreia I think was better at the DS than blatant killing for no reason. Lies, deceit, creating mistrust are the better ways to go. How else did Palpatine manage to gain control of the Senate and the Republic? Sometimes manipulation from behind the scenes can entrap prey far better than seeing it and trying to kill it with a war cry. You catch my drift?

Kreia I think was better at the DS than blatant killing for no reason. Lies, deceit, creating mistrust are the better ways to go. How else did Palpatine manage to gain control of the Senate and the Republic? Sometimes manipulation from behind the scenes can entrap prey far better than seeing it and trying to kill it with a war cry. You catch my drift?

That's my problem with most of the dark side stuff in the games. It's just being a thug. However, I did like the dark side stuff you can do on Korriban in K1,

Double-crossing both Yuthura and Uthar, giving Shaardan the wrong sword and watching Uthar kill him, manipulating Lashowe to help you and then killing her, using Mekel to help you kill Uthar's former master and then killing him

Those are better examples of what a Sith does to gain power than "Give me your credits or die!" :emperor:

That's my problem with most of the dark side stuff in the games. It's just being a thug.

Exactly. I don't mind being DS as a way to get a different experience out of the game and perhaps be more sarcastic but the beating up people or mugging them for no reason I can't get behind. Although I have no problem rummaging through their apartments :) How else does one equip oneself and have money to play Pazaak? It would be better in Kotor if there were manipulation choices for DS instead of violence. TSL is better for playing DS for those who tend to the lightside.

I know it's oldhat and a bit much for some but the whole romance thing with Carth always gets me. I also like how you can get him to love you even if your DS that's powerful. I am always happy to reunite him with Dustil, until i realise I (the PC that is) might end up his stepmother which brings up all kinds of issues! Could you imagine introducing your friends "oh yeah and this is my step-mom Darth...I mean Revan"

Bastilla annoys the hell out of me and I was into it when she gets captured and tortured and falls but I find it really hard to kill her at the end and always persuade her back.

I also feel really wrong when slaughtering any of the Rakatans whether the good ones or bad ones.

I just can't kill Ithorians they are so pathetic, they really do tug at the heart strings.

I started a DS TSL game and ended up doing all Peragus LS just out of habbit and did all of Citadel that way and had to make myself go back at least to beginning of Citadel to be more DS but I just wanted to cry killing the Ithorians.

Now that I think about it there is a plus side to the romance-non-romance with Atton in that it's un-requited on both sides which hads another emotional level to it especially when Mira asks you about him and there is no way to be honest about how you feel about him, but man is it frustrating.

However, I did like the dark side stuff you can do on Korriban in K1,

Double-crossing both Yuthura and Uthar, giving Shaardan the wrong sword and watching Uthar kill him, manipulating Lashowe to help you and then killing her, using Mekel to help you kill Uthar's former master and then killing him

Those are better examples of what a Sith does to gain power than "Give me your credits or die!" :emperor:

Yes that is the way of the Sith that I would be proud of to do. That would be provided if there was more of that in the game but alas there is not so I am content on playing LS for KOTOR.

eLOL. if you think about it, they dont exactly help you if you dont want to kill them. Say you are doing LS, and you help Lashowe. If you dont want to kill her and want to just share thepoints, she's like "no way" it's mine. so she fights you. and dies. and you get DS points. That works.

• 7 months later...
I enjoyed mercilessly killing my party members. Mission...ask Zaalbar to kill her (not force persuade) so you kill him as well, stupid cryptic old man and cat-woman, Death-fielded, and Carth left to die on some desolate world in the unknown regions. The only emotion I felt was satisfaction. ;)

Me too. I was LS until that point, but the slaughter of my 'crew' hurt so good. Reminded me of the enjoyment I felt watching bastila getting tortured in the tank aboard the Leviathan. It all came together aboard the star forge when I found Bastila again, we professed our love for each other and joined together to defeat Malak, defeated the alliance, then assumed rule of the galaxy...together.

Being bad never felt so good, with her at my side. Tho' I torture her in secret and she loves it.

Ohhhh, the POWER !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived