Home

Sid Meier's Pirates!

Darth Groovy

AAAAAAARGH!!!

Have you ever wanted to be a pirate? Avast, ye can finally be all the pirate you ever wanted to be with this goofy xbox/pc game.

Basically you commandeer your first ship, and from there you sail around. Once you are near another ship, you can choose to attack. Once you go into attack mode, you launch your cannons broadside with the other ship, while steering your vessel out of the way of the opponents cannon fire. Once you get close enough, you swing onto the ship, choose a sword, and duel it out with the captain of that vessel. Once you defeat the captain, you can take his ship! From there you can steal the riches, and either keep the ship or sink it, depending on it's worth when you sell it in port, or what ever you decide. Once you sail into port, you can visit the tavern and recruit new pirates. The more pirates you recruit, the easier your ship sails, and the more attack potential you have. Also in port, you can sell off your stolen goods...visit the governor, and depending on your allegiance, you will sometimes get the opportunity to dance (yes dance) with the governor's daughter. Basically dancing is hitting buttons in sequence and the faster you hit the buttons, the more you will charm the daughter. If you charm her enough, she will share information on rewards and hidden treasures! This game is so open ended you can piss away hours, and basically do whatever the hell you want! Parts of it may feel repetitious, but you build your career, and you have to eventually share your wealth with your crew in order to keep the morale high.

It might not seem as lavish as it sounds on paper at first, but it becomes quite addictive, and it is an easy game to pick up, and get hooked...(arghh...no pun inteneded!)

Rent this game for some good times me hardies!

922367_20050630_screen008.jpg922367_20050630_screen009.jpg922367_20050510_screen006.jpg922367_20050630_screen023.jpg

I LOVE Pirates...I've been playing it for over a year now, off and on. It's so addictive, and it's open-ended enough that it's a great game to keep on coming back to...or just play for hour after hour after hour.

Yeah I am thinking this will wind up in my collection. Right now I am just renting it from work. It IS easy to pick up play though.

Which is better, PC or XBOX versions?

After playing it through once, I thought it was kind of boring...but then I went back and played it again, and really enjoyed it. It's not linear like most FPS's or RPG's, unless you decide to play through the plot line...but even while playing through the plot points you have total freedom of movement, freedom to choose your ship (or steal whatever ship you want to use), and can do pretty much anything you want.

I'd be interested to know what differences there are between the PC & XBox versions, if anyone has played both.

Oh yeah, it really looks like it sucks to me ;) I know, I know, that's just one review, but the average press score being is an 8.2 is usually a good thing. Also, you can't rent a PC game and demos these days are just way too big.

Exactly. I wanted to try this game out since it released, but I kind of forgot about it. It IS repetitive, after a while but it's a game that's easy to stop and come back too later. Ever since that Serious Sam II fiasco, I been shying away from PC games until I get a new rig. Also, I get to check out games free from my job, so it's a win win situation. :p

Wait. You can 'check stuff out' from Gamestop? As an employee or is it branching into game rentals now?

I too get free rentals, but Blockbuster's selection of games sucks. Hollywood Video had most games made since 2001 for every system. Heck, that's where I rented Pirates from when it first came out.

For addictive gameplay you can just pick up at anytime, I find Gladius to be a good pick. It's got a pretty good story in an original fantasy enviroment, but has so much more depth than Pirates yet is easy to play even if you're not into the RPG elements. I beat the Ursula campaign once but pick it up here and now just to fight random battles.

• 2 weeks later...
Wait. You can 'check stuff out' from Gamestop? As an employee or is it branching into game rentals now?

I too get free rentals, but Blockbuster's selection of games sucks. Hollywood Video had most games made since 2001 for every system. Heck, that's where I rented Pirates from when it first came out.

It's an employee perk. I think the reason they do this, is so we can keep up with all the games that are out there. Nice thing about working at Gamestop, is that we don't work on commision, so we WILL tell you if a game sucks, or if it is even worth the price. Most of the time, when we tell a customer a game sucks, we can always recommend a better one, and most of the time they WILL listen to us, and pick out something else. The only time that doesn't work is with 25 To Life. I have not personally played THAT one, because I actually listen to my customers, and they say the game is craptastic. Yet we continue to sell the crap out of this stupid game, only to see it traded in a week later. I think everyone sees the gang bangers on the cover, and think it's going to be another GTA San Andreas, only to find it's a crappy Max Payne clone. We STRONGLY recommend renting games before you play them, but nobody listens to that either.

I'd still like to own Sid Meier's Pirates, but I would like to wait for a price drop, because it is nearly a year old now. A used copy is still about $34.99, and i'm saving up for a house! :D

Yeah, I'm honest about movies and suggest like titles to our customers. And still, people buy stuff without renting it first. I don't get it.... I don't play games all that often from work but I could tell 25 to Life would suck along with that 50 Cent game.

Pirates for XBox rules. When I first retired, I became a Bishop.

If you're a fan of the old game, you might like this, I wouldn't know since this is my first Pirates game. I can't see playing this on PC, but that may just be because I'm used to the XBox controls.

Raiding Spanish and French ports is awesome.

Archived