Home

I like it when words are spelled and used correctly.

spell1

v. spelled, or spelt spell·ing, spells

v. tr.

1. To name or write in order the letters constituting (a word or part of a word).

2. To constitute the letters of (a word): These letters spell animal.

3. To add up to; signify: Their unwise investment could spell financial ruin.

Your source says otherwise Astro. :p

I never complain to someone personally here about their particular spelling/grammar (except maybe Hallucination )

I don't recall you ever complaining about my grammar/spelling. :)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A suggestion regarding proper spelling in posts - if you forget, or don't want to preview your posts, then at least take a look at what you wrote right after you post it, so you can edit it right away if you have any spelling, or grammar errors that you know of.

@HALLUCINATON... SPELT and SPELLED are not interchangeable, although they are derived from the same base verb. but feel free to use 'spelled' it's one of those commonly used inaccuracies of 'everyday' english. If you were writing up a university term paper though, you wouldn't be able to get away with it :p

mtfbwya

I have pruned the off-topic remarks and the responses from them from this thread, as it has no actual bearing on this particular topic and no percieved 'offence' could even be reasonably established. Sorry folks, but it was becoming too off-topic.

Although I'm not in RN's targetted audience (English is my 4th language :p ),

Language nerd! Way to show up those of us that struggle to learn a second (or a first for some!).

I know only two languages. English. And bad English.

When first I started posting here I was feeling very unsecure because of my bad English ( I don't make many spelling mistakes but my grammar, vocabulary and syntax are bad). Luckily, very few people commented on my English and that helped a lot.

Its because we were scared of you, you being evil and stuff. Oh yeah and a lawyer aswell. So doubly evil in fact ;)

Even if I still have a lot to learn, my English has improved a lot since I joined the forums.

Mine has constantly stayed the same. Bad. Its weird though, I can't spell for a dime when I am the one doing the spelling but if anyone I know needs a word I can spell it for them without even thinking.

....American.... English....

Does. Not. Compute. [/robot voice]

Well, we all know American English is just a butchered version of proper British English

quoted for emphasis.

To lighten the mood up slightly, venom tyrant posted this on the jokes thread at the Cantina. Im CnPasting it here as it is entirely relevant to this discussion - especially from the line ive indicated in RED downwards :p

Im sure each of us will fall into one of these groups listed below w. respect to this discussion. Im in the group of 109 :p

How many forum posters does it take to change a light bulb?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs

27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs

53 to flame the spell checkers

41 to correct spelling/grammar flames

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ...

another 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"

15 know-it-alls who claim *they* were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct

156 to email the participant's ISPs complaining that they are in violation of their "acceptable use policy"

109 to post that this group is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb group

203 to demand that cross posting to hardware forum, off-topic forum, and lightbulb group about changing light bulbs be stopped

111 to defend the posting to this group saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts *are* relevant to this group

306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty

27 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs

14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's

3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group

33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"

12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy

19 to quote the "Me too's" to say "Me three"

4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ

44 to ask what is a "FAQ"

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again....

its funny cos its true!

lolz

mtfbwya

especially from the line ive indicated in RED downwards :p

i believe you meant "i've"...:xp:

anyway, i knew i'd find a use for this one day as well. thanks Rogue Nine!

grammartime5ug.gif

For someone talking about grammar, then 'mospelling' someones name is far more irritating... you must be suicidal VT! :xp: -RH

Yes it was. I thought this had to do with grammar and spelling. Look we all make mistakes. Just learn how to live with them and with the ones other people make. If it seems unclear, you can always PM or ask what they meant to say if it wasn't spelled right. I thought we were supposed to have fun, not butcher the posts like we're Eng. professors.

If I can figure out what a person is trying to say, then I won't complain. But it's the posts that are impossible to follow that really get me. The thing that really ticks me off is the run-on sentence. You know, the 10 line posts that have literally no punctuation. I hate those.

You'd be amazed how many people complain about spelling. It goes beyond forums and into everyday life.

It has repercussions upon our written language at school, work, etc. While writing here, we can catch some bad habits that can be costly in an essay if we don't pay attention to our spelling or grammar.

I look at the situation this way. Like D333, the forums greatly helped me improve my written language. People didn't bother me with it. Well, ok, I wasn't bad when I began posting, but still, there's always room for improvement :) I'm far from perfect (this is my third language), but I do what I can. Sometimes, I type too fast and forget to go over my mistakes. Often, I notice them only when somebody quotes something from my posts. I feel bad because I sound silly then.

I do get angry at people who can't type properly and have English as their native tongue. Sure, it's a forum, it's the internet. The internet is getting bashed enough as being the source of all evil in this world, including bad spelling :) Why don't we try and prove that internet users actually have a functional brain. Yes, it might mean nothing since it's only one forum in an ocean of...internet forums...but what would happen if everyone always said that? The world would never go forward.

As a matter of facts, I don't proof read my posts. I don't use any spell check programs. I sometimes check dictionary.com. The effort must come when you first write the sentence. Try to spell it right the first time and you won't have to go back.

While we're on the subject, I happen to play a rogue in World of WarCraft. ROGUE, NOT ROUGE DAMN IT! ROGUE! ROGUE!

I'm sorry, I needed to vent out some anger.

*Pushes giant red fakey admin button*

@Rouge N1n32, Unstickify this thread (there's always that 6 month late lightbulb fanatic to bring it back anyway) and write a new guide to spelling, grammar, et cetera.

This thread will contain impersonal sentences, paragraphs, and watchamacallems which may be used as a reference by any forum members who may whish to read it (or are gently tossed towards it). It will not be pretentious, huffy, or flamatory. It will provide links to the best online dictionaries and grammatical guides. It will include suggestions on how to approve the cleanliness, general appearance, and formatting of posts. Also included will be definitions of various commonly used abbreviations such as "lol", and "wtf" which are deemed acceptable for forum efficiency.

If the items mentioned above are implemented I might make use of them occasionally, but in its' current state this thread is more of an annoyance than a usefull collection of information.

Administrators and moderators don't need to feed the image that internet users are crazy people who feel compelled to write about how annoying everyone elses' problems are (that's my job as a crazy internet user, you're taking food off my table), instead you should be setting a good example for all by holding yourselves to the highest standard......

This should be done with conferences and tutoring sessions, held in a moderator only sub-forum, completely devoted to training StingerHS to start sentences with capital letters. A public fundraising campaign should also be enacted to raise enough funds to buy him a "Shift" key. A chain is only as strong as its' weakest link;)

*Depresses giant red fakey admin button*

This individual will not be held responsible for any mistakes of a spelling, grammatical, or whatever-else-you-whine-about nature. All grievances shall be filed with this individual's evil, yet strikingly beautiful, attorney. Beardinators will be PWND!

Archived