Home

Half Life 2

RC-1162

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, i play it, mod it and the amount of mods that are being created for it. It's not just a game, it's a doorway into a thousand other games. As well as being the most malleable game i have ever seen in terms of mod making, if you don't liek the game, you will love the thousands of free mods soon available for it. The game itself it near movie-like quality and as long as you don't rush through it. It is very rewarding.

From the reviews and opinions I've seen of HL2, I'm apparently the only person on the planet who thinks it's overrated. Very good certainly, but not the life-altering, orgasmic gameplay experience I read about in PC Gamer. So many times I was wishing for more and better weapons and it could really use some variation in area design. After trudging through one ruined cityscape after another, it all got a little same-y. Still, it does effortlessly get a lot of things right that so many other shooters don't--good story, voice acting, and very few bugs. And the zombie-and-headcrab infested Ravenholm was one of the truly creepiest gaming levels I've ever seen.

For a humorous look at HL2, check out http://www.hlcomic.com/ for a peek at the lighter side of life in City 17.

Of course it is overrated. Half life is such a good game in everyones standard that people will pay no attention to poor reviews whatsoever with the many great reviews there are out there. Like i said, to enjoy Half life 2, you have to open your eyes abit more.

Half Life 2 isn't that overrated, imo.

I've played all the HL1 games/expansions/stuff, and played all the HL2 stuff as well.

HL1 had a bigger impact, since the engine was amazingly good at the time, and the plot just rocked. Half Life 2 had a big impact because of the engine too, but not as big, mainly because a month after the release, other games used it too.

Half Life 2 is the coolest shooter i've ever played (with the exception of some Unreal Tournament levels), and it will be forever. The physics are simply unbelievably cool, and the weapons as well.

It might not have a huge impact that HL1 had, but it's certainly worht it!

PS: Gordon has a beard. Bearded guys rock...with the exception of Chuck Norris. He rocked harder.

Why pay attention to whiny reviewers when the win is encrypted deep in the code.

And if for some reason you are so mentally incompetent not to enjoy it, I have one word for you...

COUNTERSTRIKE!!!! sweet addiction

Day of Defeat is pretty good too but I don't like the weapons as much (apparently WWII soldiers can't handle recoil due to gyms not being invented yet:xp: )

GARY'S MOD awesome do anything sandbox (if you read the comic in Mace's link, it was actually made with screenshots from Gary's mod)

My only cons...

STEAM sucks ballz!!! It is a convenient inconvenience, it's a requirement for valve games, so if you want to install a game you just bought on vacation you have to find internet access before you can play a game (happened to me, true story), but at least you can DL mods through it.

You actually have to pay for the game...shouldn't these things just fall from heaven?

I damn near had nightmares in Ravenholm. Naturally, I played it at midnight, lights off, etc.

As for the game in its whole, it was probably one of the, if not, the greatest games I've ever played. The graphics, the music, the voice-acting. It was all seamless. It was eeire when it needed to be eerie, fun when it needed to be fun, and just a damn great game to play. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat.

Hey don't get me wrong, it's absolutely worth buying and playing. I heartily recommend it, I just don't think it's in the best-ever category so many other gamers think it's in. The rocket launcher holds only three rounds, the Combine rifles only 90 rounds, and that sniper crossbow licks sack. I wanted some heavy machine gun or that HL1 weapon that was like a vacuum cleaner/backpack on so many occasions...

And yeah, Steam sucks major a$$. But then, apparently alpha and beta builds were stolen and stuck on the net somewhere, so Valve's trying to clamp down on the pirated versions by making the storebought versions only playable by being activated on Steam. Or so the story goes.

now this is a throwback. i haven't played that game nor any mods for that game for well over 6 months. i will, however, be fully willing to admit that its a very good game.

i think, though, that the game just wasn't the big industry shaking game that the first one was. the first one was revolutionary for its day, but the second one was just barely evolutionary. the only thing that truely set it apart from a lot of other games was the design, graphics, and physics. there were very few games that implemented physics into the gameplay on that level (and there are few that have continued on that trend). that made it revolutionary in that sense, but it still didn't contribute much to the overall gameplay which remained mostly unchanged from the first game. in that sense, the game was disappointing, but that's not to say that it wasn't good.

hehe, just you wait until you have to take on the Striders. best of luck. ;)

Valve in general is pure win. I love Steam, I've never had a problem with it and it keeps my desktop/Start Menu clear of shortcuts for all the mods I install for the Source engine. Half-Life 1 and 2 were friggin' awesome, two of the best games I've ever played. Episode One was so-so, but I loved the engine upgrade that came along with it (the particle effects in Episode One were insane).

I'm not really a fan of CS 1.6 or CSS (or DoD for that matter), however I'm not a fan of online games in general.

Don't forget to keep an eye out for G-Man in HL2 though, you get a few chances to blow him away with a clip full of rounds from a machine gun at various points in the story *cough*just before the dam before you reach Black Mesa East*cough*.

@Mace, It's only supposed to have 3 rounds, would fighting a 3 story tall gun toting bug be as awesome if you had unlimited ammo? You have to make your shots count.

If you don't like the crossbow...I'm not even responding to that:lol:

I've had nothing but problems with steam since day one:firemad:

I was planning to buy it, but when they announced their concept of "Episodic Gameplay", I jumped off. I can't buy a whole bunch of small games instead of one big game. I've never played it myself, but I honestly think the game is a little overrated. It's got slick graphics, fun gameplay and immersiveness, I hear, so I suppose it's worth the money.

I'll take it if someone hands me a free copy.

I'd take several twilek exotic dancer chicks if someone just handed me a couple free copies:xp:

Even if your one of those weirdos who doesn't think it's the best game ever, there isn't really much that can hold a candle to it. Oblivion and.......???

It's worth it. And as previously mentioned, if you find the game lacking, there's always the modding community.

its not several small games. what they meant by episodic gameplay is that instead of levels, there will be "episodes". its just one big game. huge game, in fact. it hogged 4.5 gb of my disk space :xp:

@stinger: whats a Strider?

its a great game, Im currently playing through it for the second time. just got passed the area where you have to take down to gunboats, it was frustrating cause I got them both down on the first try but the second one fell to close to me and i was killed by shrapnel when it blew up *flails arms about like a crazy person*

Archived